Island Packet Closing Doors? - Page 20 - SailNet Community
 308Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 495 Old 03-23-2016

Re: Island Packet Closing Doors?

Phone goes straight to busy now, every time. Called a dealer out here in Seattle, got a big run around and told "someone" would call me back if they found a "back door" phone number for I.P. make of it what you will. I do hope that the folks that worked at I.P.are still putting bread on their tables. If they pull it out of this nose dive, I wonder if a name change will be the first order of business?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 495 Old 03-23-2016
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Because we all live in a boating community we forget how small our numbers are.

Only 17% of US households own boats, which includes power, sail, PWC, canoes, kayaks and inflatables.

Of that 17%, only 3.7% own sailboats.

That's a SMALL number in the grand scheme of things. It means builders need to be VERY focused on what their customers want. It's a very difficult business.

The numbers come from this USCG report on page 41
What percentage of US households own ferrari's ?

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #193 of 495 Old 03-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
What percentage of US households own ferrari's ?
That's a good example of a VERY focused niche product -- and a company that hasn't always been profitable.

High end niche car companies are all owned by big mainstream players with deep pockets who can see them through tough economic times.

- Fiat owns Ferrari and Maserati
- BMW owns Rolls
- Tata owns Jag and Land Rover
- Volkswagen owns Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini and Porsche

There's been some consolidation in the sailboat business but it's a different game.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

post #194 of 495 Old 03-23-2016

The sailboat market is very small, many builders have gone to building a powerboat line to survive. Some have essentially abandoned sail to pursue power. Sabre, Hinckley, S2 became Tiara/Pursuit,,,,, Beneteau is moving more heavily into power. Building production sailboats is a very tough business.
olson34 likes this.
post #195 of 495 Old 03-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
C'mom folks...Let's keep it on topic (or take it to O.T. Politics, Religion, War and Government)
So if I remove my whole"objectionable" post, do all echoes of it from other downstream post quotes go away also? Interesting!

(I really have no idea how this works on your site. I so rarely used my so-called admin 'powers' on the EY site that I hardly know what they are... )

Loren
post #196 of 495 Old 03-23-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Your schadenfreude at the demise of a well-respected company, likely taking with it down the lifelihoods of many skilled craftsmen and -women is inappropriate.
Oh, harden up cupcake. My sarcasm was not directed at IP, but the guy who was stepping in here as their spokesman.
eherlihy likes this.
post #197 of 495 Old 03-24-2016
Beyond The Pale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
- Fiat owns Ferrari and Maserati
There's been some consolidation in the sailboat business but it's a different game.
FCA, (FIAT-Chrysler Automobiles), still owns Maserati; Ferrari was spun off a few months back and trades on the NYSE as "RACE".
The Ferrari and Agnelli Families between them own ~35% of the Company outright, and control just over 50% of the voting Shares.
Ferrari is independent again.
Maserati is questionable; Ferrari supplied them Engineering as well as Engines; FCA has stated that they wish to align Maserati with Alfa Romeo in the future, and they may possibly merge the brands. (Makes sense: There are all these new Alfa Romeo dealerships popping up in the US...)

Beneteau is an interesting example of Consolidation- they now do Sail, Power, and... Real Estate and Vacation Homes? There is a Trend there, but I don't see Beneteau getting into the Exotic Vacation Car Market anytime soon.
(I did once own a Citroen SM, the one with the Maserati V6 Engine, with the dodgy Timing Chains. Lovely car, and for me, very reliable. The _Best_ front seats of any car that I've ever owned. But Italian/French marriages rarely go well... and that union nearly killed both companies.)
Consolidation isn't just about merging Brands, it's about expanding markets. What Market does Island Packet appeal to? If say Catalina was just _given_ Island Packet, lock, stock, and moldy barrel, would they continue on?

I don't see Island Packet viable as an independent company either; even Wikipedia has written them off. And even among Sailing Nuts, they don't have the cachet of a Ferrari, which is bad, since new ones commanded Ferrari prices.

But just as "Island Packet" grew out of the remains of the humble "Bombay Express", somebody may buy the molds and the "IP" of IP, and make something New again. Something New enough that People will want enough, to pay the price, once again.

It's happened before...

¬Erindipity
eherlihy likes this.
post #198 of 495 Old 03-24-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
The sailboat market is very small, many builders have gone to building a powerboat line to survive. Some have essentially abandoned sail to pursue power. Sabre, Hinckley, S2 became Tiara/Pursuit,,,,, Beneteau is moving more heavily into power. Building production sailboats is a very tough business.

Fuel prices have remained low even though we have been told since the 1970s that oil is about to run out. we finally have learned the fear mongering is BS.

Even at $100 per barrel the fuel price is not that high for what you get.

Except for sailing as the sport of racing, there's little reason to own a sail boat to do what many actually do in the Western World. Most don't cross oceans but bob about Sydney Harbour, et al...
It can be done just as nicely/more easily a motor boat incl more space, less rigging, less learning, less fragile bits up a fragile mast.

...and more people with more assets to afford the ever decreasing fuel costs.

Mark
tdw likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #199 of 495 Old 03-24-2016

That's very true Mark.
post #200 of 495 Old 03-24-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Rather than endless speculation and phone calls, why not just wait? Go sailing. Celebrate spring. Varnish something. Hug your spouse, dog, child, whatever/whomever you hug.

All this thread seems to be doing is getting people riled up and it isn't turning the IP phones on any faster no matter how much inquiring minds want to know.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

Tags
island packet

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in