Island Packet Closing Doors? - Page 22 - SailNet Community
 308Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 495 Old 03-24-2016

Re: Island Packet Closing Doors?

I spoke with a west coast I.P. dealer today. Very nice folks there I must add! All that they know is that I.P. is gone and they only know that by their own research as I.P. never told them anything either, just stopped answering the phone, including dealers number. They even had a friend drive by the I.P. shipyard, nobody there, with a chainlink fence and no trespass signs. This dealership is not happy. They had to sell a 2014 Blue Jacket this year at cost just to move it out of inventor. If anybody is looking at buying a new I.P. just keep in mind you won't have factory/builder support. Price should reflect this. Really to bad, I feel for owner/builder and all employee's and family's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 495 Old 03-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Actually, not really. We're not talking suitability, we're talking longevity. The "disposable boats" are perfectly fit for purpose. The issue is, if you want to make boats that you'll still be competing against in 40 years, you're not going to have a business. It's that simple. We've seen it over and over again.

The market is clearly proving that "lighter built" (within a pretty narrow definition of "lighter") and less expensive with more modern features is what sells. Traditional, "generational" boats are dying left and right.

It is what it is.
Smack hits a homer.
Thit is precisely what the I.P. dealer said today during our conversation.
Also told by same dealer, Entertaining friend's aboard in comfort, not quality built sailing vessels is what hot today.
post #213 of 495 Old 03-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinky bob View Post
I spoke with a west coast I.P. dealer today. Very nice folks there I must add! All that they know is that I.P. is gone and they only know that by their own research as I.P. never told them anything either, just stopped answering the phone, including dealers number. They even had a friend drive by the I.P. shipyard, nobody there, with a chainlink fence and no trespass signs.
But dave says they are open, building boats and paying bills.
uncle stinky bob likes this.

post #214 of 495 Old 03-24-2016
Learning the HARD way...

My bet is that the IP molds end up at Caliber Yachts.
MedSailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #215 of 495 Old 03-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
But dave says they are open, building boats and paying bills.
Maybe because there is a dealer-builder relationship..

http://www.sjyachts.com/sj-about.html
post #216 of 495 Old 03-24-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Oh dear.
post #217 of 495 Old 03-24-2016

Well I too agree with Smack, the last thing you want to be doing is competing with the boat you built 3 years ago. That said there is a market for non disposable boats but they to must be constantly revising and improving designs. It is a builders job to create products that are very desirable but are not available in the used market.
post #218 of 495 Old 03-24-2016

I think the reality is that today's builders ARE competing with boats they previously built... and for those who are long running builders not just a few years old. While used boat prices - esp older ones - are falling (alarmingly for we owners) the great number of 90s and early 2000s boats out there and available must be affecting the potential for a new boat buyer.. often 10s of $Ks worth of accessories included in used boats, good selection.. some of them arguably 'better' than the new offerings.

But it goes further back.. how many '60s and '70s cars are still on the road, in good shape and fetching any kind of price at all? (collectors excluded!).. how many '60s and '70s boats??

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #219 of 495 Old 03-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I think the reality is that today's builders ARE competing with boats they previously built... and for those who are long running builders not just a few years old. While used boat prices - esp older ones - are falling (alarmingly for we owners) the great number of 90s and early 2000s boats out there and available must be affecting the potential for a new boat buyer.. often 10s of $Ks worth of accessories included in used boats, good selection.. some of them arguably 'better' than the new offerings.

But it goes further back.. how many '60s and '70s cars are still on the road, in good shape and fetching any kind of price at all? (collectors excluded!).. how many '60s and '70s boats??
much like the light bulb that would last 500 years we heard about 30 years ago, why would a light bulb builder make a bulb that puts him out of business ? They don't.
post #220 of 495 Old 03-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

Faster reminded me of this:

Tags
island packet

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in