Island Packet Closing Doors? - Page 24 - SailNet Community
 308Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 495 Old 03-25-2016

Re: Island Packet Closing Doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel1 View Post
.. . . . . . meanwhile, back at the law firm, the finest highly paid legal minds are hard at work trying to get the wording just right for for that all important press release! Stay tuned . . .film at 11:00 . . . . .
AM? PM? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 495 Old 03-25-2016
Learning the HARD way...

If I don't have to move a boat on Tuesday (and I probably won't), I'll take a motorcycle ride up to Clearwater, and take some pictures of both IP and Caliber.
uncle stinky bob likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #233 of 495 Old 03-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
But dave says they are open, building boats and paying bills.
Dave's not here man. Cheech&Chong

either is I.P. Stinky

post #234 of 495 Old 03-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I don't really understand all the debate as it is pretty simple. If you build a boat of a design and certain quality at a price level that not enough people are willing to pay; your business will fail. The most impressive thing about IP is that it took this long for consumers to finally get to the point where there weren't enough old buyers around to overpay for a 1980s boat design.
You mean bankrupt companies like Hunter? Or Jeaneau? Or Wauquiez? Or McGreggor? Or C&C? Or Dufour? Or Najad? Or Ericson? Or Cal?....

Building sailboat is a very difficult business, high capital costs, high labor costs, a fickle market that's overly exposed to economic contractions... look at Beneteau's financials, if it weren't for the support of the French government it would probably be gone too.
post #235 of 495 Old 03-25-2016
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I don't really understand all the debate as it is pretty simple. If you build a boat of a design and certain quality at a price level that not enough people are willing to pay; your business will fail. The most impressive thing about IP is that it took this long for consumers to finally get to the point where there weren't enough old buyers around to overpay for a 1980s boat design.
Don--

I do not disagree that the pool of prospective buyers for a new yacht as costly as the Island Packets were/are is quite shallow. Unfortunately for IP, they built a yacht of such quality/endurance that new boats were, in fact, competing with their earlier sisterships that were/are nearly indistinguishable from the new boats but priced more affordably which further reduced that pool. Even today there is a dealer/broker in Bradenton Florida with a half dozen or more IP's offered for sale that, with the exception of some weathering of the canvas and non-standard 3rd party equipment on deck, one would think were new. Even tho' used, these offerings are quite costly (IMHO), tho' not in comparison with a "new" IP, and frankly, for 90%+ of prospective buyers, more boat than necessary for their expected use.

Many folks here-about decry "production boat builders" for building boats that they deem unsuitable for "blue water" (tho' few boats ever see/sail in blue water). IP was a "blue water" boat builder and look where it got them.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 03-25-2016 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Correct typo
post #236 of 495 Old 03-25-2016

It's hardly just boats and light bulbs. Our whole economy is based on consumption. "Planned obsolecense" is an alive and well concept.

Actually building something well constructed and durable is bad for the economy as mainstream economist see it.

All pretty surreal and weird to me!

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #237 of 495 Old 03-25-2016
bell ringer

There are other "production" boat builders that have been around 30+ years and are still selling new boats, AND their larger cruising type boats are still around sailing just fine. The problem with IP isn't that their new boats completed with their old boats any more than any other builders. It is that they build a boat that for the price not enough people whated, PERIOD. Only on internet forums do people say they what a 30 year old boat design, yet even they still aren't willing or able to buy one.

I have nothing against IP. But if I had the money to spend on a brand new boat I would never get an IP.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Last edited by Don L; 03-25-2016 at 02:02 PM.
post #238 of 495 Old 03-25-2016

I think IP does compete with their used boats. We see dozens of IP boats throughout the Caribbean so someone has been buying them in reasonable quantity and their obviously is a market for these boats but the market is probably for used IP. This is what happens when you continue to build older designs for too long and whether it's new homes or new boats its still the same. People like change and expect it so the builders that are constantly bringing new fresh designs to the market at a price the masses can afford will be the winners.
post #239 of 495 Old 03-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I think IP does compete with their used boats. We see dozens of IP boats throughout the Caribbean so someone has been buying them in reasonable quantity...
They are very popular with the charter trade and keel boat sailing schools..
post #240 of 495 Old 03-25-2016
Mermaid Hunter

I trust my source. Some of y'all don't, or don't trust me, which is fine.

I've written to two AGLCA Harbor Hosts and an SSCA Cruising Station in the area of IPY asking for a working hour drive by and pictures on a weekday.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Tags
island packet

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in