Island Packet Closing Doors? - Page 28 - SailNet Community
 308Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #271 of 495 Old 03-30-2016

Re: Island Packet Closing Doors?

aa- very interesting link and thank you for it.

One notes on this site there's a new thread positing a navigational problem. It requires some understanding of basic math. Understanding trig and spherical trig gives you a different perception when you sit at your multi system display or tablet and plot a transit. Understanding basic weather motive forces gives you a different understanding when you look at gribs. In fact, last night and tonight Chris is giving a webinar exploring when you should not accept grib information in decisions on passages.

So you have a choice. You can cede your independence and intellectual growth by hitting the power switch, in putting what you want and accepting what the black box spits out remaining ignorant of the verocity of the output. Equally, demeaning of your experience can be showed by many life experiences e.g. Walking through the woods with a skilled hunter, or botanist, or biologist, or hydrologist or geologist. All see different things on that walk. All enhance your walk and future walks in different ways. But in order for that to occur you must take the step to labor to understand what they offer.

Know ocean sailors and long term cruisiers who view things differently. All they care is if it works. Only interested in ceding as much as possible so their thoughts, time and labor can be spent on other pursuits.

Pays your money-take your choice.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 495 Old 03-31-2016

So still nothing from I.P.? Still nothing from secret sources that can't be named? Anybody hear anything? .......anybody?
post #273 of 495 Old 03-31-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinky bob View Post
Curious if you've heard from any of these folks? Any pictures or eyes on?
Quote:
So still nothing from I.P.? Still nothing from secret sources that can't be named? Anybody hear anything? .......anybody?
I just got a text that confirms what I inferred. Apparently the real scenario is leaking (not from me and not from my source) and the PR should be released shortly. I'm on distribution and when I get it I'll post it here. NFI.
uncle stinky bob likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #274 of 495 Old 03-31-2016
Yamsailor

What did you infer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I just got a text that confirms what I inferred. Apparently the real scenario is leaking (not from me and not from my source) and the PR should be released shortly. I'm on distribution and when I get it I'll post it here. NFI.

Sail Your Story!

post #275 of 495 Old 03-31-2016
s/v Tiger Lily

This message will self-destruct in 10-9-8-7...

Severna Park, MD
Pearson 35 - s/v Tiger Lily
post #276 of 495 Old 03-31-2016
Dirt Free

Quote:
Shhhhhh .... it's a secret.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #277 of 495 Old 03-31-2016

I can't be the only one slightly perplexed by SVAuspicious's ambiguous devotion to IPY.
post #278 of 495 Old 03-31-2016

[QUOTE=Yamsailor;3417801]What did you infer?

Read the currently/last 'Edited' account of IPY Wikipedia..in particular to citations 3,4,5 and 6

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki...liable_sources

Last edited by aa3jy; 03-31-2016 at 04:38 PM.
post #279 of 495 Old 03-31-2016

Remember Nixon had " plumbers" in the White House to find the "leaks" . . . so who on this thread might be "deep throat"
post #280 of 495 Old 03-31-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
What did you infer?
I've said before that I won't share what I think I know to avoid messing up ongoing efforts. There appear to be leaks in the industry. They didn't come from me and I believe they did not come from my sources at IPY. I have been told I am on direct distribution for the public release. I think that is a recognition of my honoring commitments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I can't be the only one slightly perplexed by SVAuspicious's ambiguous devotion to IPY.
Well let me clear up the ambiguity. In 2004 when I was boat shopping the then-new IP370 was on my short list. I developed a lot of relationships with members of the owner's association and with people at the factory. Even though I decided to buy a different boat I have maintained those relationships. There are a lot of good people and good sailors among the IP community just as there are among other communities including the broader boating community. Sure there are always bad apples. There are some here like everywhere else. Check my ignore list.

So when people started spreading rumors I knew to be untrue (or thought I knew and was pretty sure) I shared what I could. I would do the same for any organization in which I have professional friends.

As events have unfolded it appears that what I thought I knew is likely to be correct and the people I trusted to be straight with me have been. I don't care a whit if anyone on SN believes me. I certainly don't care what any of the few people on my ignore list think (obviously not you caberg - you just asked the question that tipped me over the edge).

My intent has been and continues to be to share as much as I can within the bounds of the confidences that have been shared with me. If I don't respect those confidences how can I ever expect anyone to trust me in future? Taunts and allegations regarding motivations and credibility really don't move anyone who really does know anything to want to share it. What kind of kindergarten sandbox is this anyway?

I've told SN that I have a good source and shared what I can. Believe me or not. I don't care. Personal aspersions just make clear the character of the speaker.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

The Following User Says Thank You to SVAuspicious For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (03-31-2016)

Tags
island packet

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in