Mouse on the boat? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Re: Mouse on the boat?

I remember the size of the rats hanging around the water front when I was a kid. I think they came off all the log ships that came in to load. You would not want to send a house cat after one....maybe a bobcat. damn things were really freaking big.
utchuckd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 03-18-2016
Master Mariner

Got rats aboard in Marathon. Found out when electrical systems began failing as they ate the wiring.
Killed 5 in one day with sticky traps but the last one seemed to learn from it's compatriots' misfortunes. Nothing worked!
Then I heard that getting rid of all potable water on the boat would drive them away, PDQ. So I poured bleach in the bilge and in 24 hours that dirty rat was gone. Kept the bilges bleached for as long as I was in the marinas in Marathon and Tavernier ("Hey, is there a tavern anywhere near here?"), and never had another rat aboard.
Now scorpions, they are another matter completely.
uncle stinky bob likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Got rats aboard in Marathon. Found out when electrical systems began failing as they ate the wiring.
Killed 5 in one day with sticky traps but the last one seemed to learn from it's compatriots' misfortunes. Nothing worked!
Then I heard that getting rid of all potable water on the boat would drive them away, PDQ. So I poured bleach in the bilge and in 24 hours that dirty rat was gone. Kept the bilges bleached for as long as I was in the marinas in Marathon and Tavernier ("Hey, is there a tavern anywhere near here?"), and never had another rat aboard.
Now scorpions, they are another matter completely.
Thats an awesome tip on the bleach. scorpions....damn!

post #14 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

If mice (and it may not be), they make plastic spring traps that will easily grab the offender, but you can put your finger in and not get hurt. There is no reason for those old fashioned, wire, knuckle/toe busters. Peanut butter is definitely the trick.

Be sure there is no other food or water available and put a couple around. You'll know if you have mice in a day or two.

If rats, just yell out that you are sinking. I hear they flee.
zeehag likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Don't know how much time you spend on your boat in quiet times so forgive me for assuming incorrectly.

Freinds had what they thought was a "rustling noise" in their boat and spent hours stripping out lockers and hidden spaces trying to find the rodent.

What they were hearing was the ubiquitous sound of sea life under the boat - as they hadn't spent a lot of quiet time on their new boat, they were unfamiliar with these sounds.

This may be what you're hearing - it's actually quite rare (in my experience) to have rats/mice on leisure vessels -not enough food stuffs lying around.
We routinely get a "welcoming committee" when we anchor in the salt pond at Block Island. I believe it is some form of shrimp that make a muffled clicking sound--reminds me of woodpeckers. It seems to be more prevalent at night.

I'm wondering if that is not a reminder that my bottom is growing food for these critters. It isn't barnacles, but maybe slime. Time to clean the bottom?
post #16 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Plus one on the peanut butter baited traps. I found chunky peanut butter was the most effective.

Gary
post #17 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Plus one on the peanut butter baited traps. I found chunky peanut butter was the most effective.

Gary
Use the life traps, they work just as well as those that break their necks. Release the critter somewhere in the woods (far from boats and houses) and let them live their little lives. I am no softy but why kill if not necessary?
post #18 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Use the life traps, they work just as well as those that break their necks. Release the critter somewhere in the woods (far from boats and houses) and let them live their little lives. I am no softy but why kill if not necessary?
We get mice in the house sometimes. Once inside, the cat seems to think they're pets. Tried the humane traps once. Same mouse came back (released it 500 yds or so away from the house).

I killem now. Just wish the cat would too.
guitarguy56 likes this.
post #19 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gptyk View Post
We get mice in the house sometimes. Once inside, the cat seems to think they're pets.
I got one of those too. LAME Cats! How come cats are efficient for about 2 years of their life and spend the rest of the time expecting three squares a day and all the softest pillows?

Integrity and honesty mean more than money and fame.
post #20 of 39 Old 03-18-2016
High and Dry Sailor

Well of course it is, smooth peanut butter is gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in