Mouse on the boat? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Re: Mouse on the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Use the life traps, they work just as well as those that break their necks. Release the critter somewhere in the woods (far from boats and houses) and let them live their little lives. I am no softy but why kill if not necessary?
I toss the dead ones in the woods behind the house, and within a few hours, they're gone. We have lots of critters here that love to eat mice, owls, hawks and snakes do a number on them, but a good, outdoor loving cat will really take a toll on their population. When we had cats, they spent most of their time outside, basking in the sun, snoozing on a deck chair. They frequently wandered around the perimeter of the house, and once in a while I would see them pounce on something. They never toyed with a mouse - they ate them. Now that the cats have passed away, and we no longer have one at home, the mice have once again began invading out attic. Decon Mouse Proof, which is very effective, keeps them at bay. They eat it, then go back outside for water, where they quickly die from hemorrhagic shock.

All the best,

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 03-18-2016
美國佬

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #23 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

If my cat found a mouse on the boat or at the house, he'd just stare at it. Goofy cat. if my dog found a mouse, he'd try to be friends with it. Kind of like Lennie from Of Mice and Men.
MedSailor and zeehag like this.

post #24 of 39 Old 03-18-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I worked a solo night shift in an office for a while, and when I complained about mice everyone said nah, there couldn't be any.

So I used peanut-butter baited mouse traps, and after the first one snapped, I just put a red plastic cup over it. Waited to hear the shriek from the day staff when they moved the cup. And when they asked why, I said why what? There couldn't be any mice, they TOLD me so.

The old spring traps work very nicely. Just be frugal about the bait, so they have to trip the trap.
post #25 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gptyk View Post
We get mice in the house sometimes. Once inside, the cat seems to think they're pets. Tried the humane traps once. Same mouse came back (released it 500 yds or so away from the house).

I killem now. Just wish the cat would too.
That's why I said 'far way from houses and boats.' I used to just put them in the garden and they were back by dinner time.

Now I take them with me to my workplace and release them in the bushes next to the parking lot. Easy enough.
post #26 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
I got one of those too. LAME Cats! How come cats are efficient for about 2 years of their life and spend the rest of the time expecting three squares a day and all the softest pillows?
I suspect our cat to bring in mice as toys when he gets bored.
post #27 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Cats that are well fed usually wont kill/eat them in my experience. They will however catch them and play with them to death, at least mine did.

I purchased and used this recently and it solved my mouse problem without violence. I did have to tape a coin or two to the trigger plate though as the little suckers weren't heavy enough to spring it.

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Mouse-Tr...art+mouse+trap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Hey I happen to like Jif
post #29 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Hey I happen to like Jif Ok you definately don't want a dead mouse, or anything else for that matter, somewhere you can't get at. Had a dead mouse in the basement for some time drove me nuts trying to find where the smell was coming from.
post #30 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

You might need to put a stopper on your dock line

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in