Mouse on the boat? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 03-18-2016

Re: Mouse on the boat?

Last year I found what I thought was mouse droppings on the counter in the galley and saw a tail disappear behind a galley cupboard as I came down the companionway.

I bought a couple of big sticky traps, because I didn't want a dead mouse in some out of the way place rotting away due to poisoning or wounding by a trap.

A few days later I caught...a chameleon. Droppings looked just like mouse droppings.

The web makes everywhere the same place. - Fred Reed, from "Fred on Everything"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 03-19-2016

On a scale of one to ten, peanut butter is a 3, rotten cabbage is a 7 and spicy/sweet bbq pork is a 10.

You can't twist tie peanut butter to a spring trap. Glue boards...about 10 percent as efficient, then what do you do with it? Give the rat a nice little plastic raft?

Rats here in Florida...we have lots and lots will jump 6 feet or more to get on a boat, farther to get off, when in a hurry... They destroy everything. Food is only a bonus compared to a nice new $3000 sail to destroy for a nest...

Don't start on the cute Iguanas...we need a good freeze...

If you want peanut butter without sugar and hydrolyzed vegetable shortening, try Smuckers All Natural Chunky...

Last edited by captjcook; 03-19-2016 at 08:51 AM.
post #33 of 39 Old 03-19-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

where i am there are all kindsa nice critters for boats. gekkos are awesome. iguanas eat leaves not bugs so they can go away when they want to, snakees come out of cane weather onto boat with runoff, and then the koatamundi that hang in the coco trees here.. whoot some fun... under boat we have krill, the gentle clicking and scratching sounds, and oysters , jack fish, pargo, and blowfish.
quite often there are rats in rocks. here i have seen no rats. we have cats and dogs here--and a feral kat.
bubba takes care of all that intrude into boat. he truly dislikes intruders. it is HIS boat. good kat.
wish he wouldnt eat my gekkos. i like them. they are cute and fun lil critters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 39 Old 03-20-2016

as above, peanut butter is best to catch these "mickeys". use spring traps and only once. DO NOT REUSE THEM IF YOU HAVE CAUGHT ONE! The death smells stays and you will not catch another if you have a family aboard. New traps every time.

I want to be a sailor when i grow up, my wife says i can't do both.
post #35 of 39 Old 03-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koinonia M27 323 View Post
as above, peanut butter is best to catch these "mickeys". use spring traps and only once. DO NOT REUSE THEM IF YOU HAVE CAUGHT ONE! The death smells stays and you will not catch another if you have a family aboard. New traps every time.
Death smell is not bothering this little fellow much! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
necromouse.jpg  
post #36 of 39 Old 03-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koinonia M27 323 View Post
Maybe because there is no death smell involved but re-using a live trap is surely no issue. My traps have captured many a mouse, they don't seem to mind if one has been 'inhabited' previously for a few hours.
post #37 of 39 Old 03-20-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinky bob View Post
Death smell is not bothering this little fellow much! LOL
necrophiliac...

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #38 of 39 Old 03-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Don't know how much time you spend on your boat in quiet times so forgive me for assuming incorrectly.

Freinds had what they thought was a "rustling noise" in their boat and spent hours stripping out lockers and hidden spaces trying to find the rodent.

What they were hearing was the ubiquitous sound of sea life under the boat - as they hadn't spent a lot of quiet time on their new boat, they were unfamiliar with these sounds.

This may be what you're hearing - it's actually quite rare (in my experience) to have rats/mice on leisure vessels -not enough food stuffs lying around.

That happened to me once, we slept on the boat and I could swear there was a mouse chewing something under the v-berth. In the morning I went up on deck and realized the sound was actually coming from a neighboring boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #39 of 39 Old 03-21-2016

The only time I heard anything at all was in South Carolina when I was anchored in a quiet cove just off the ICW. About 2 a.m. I heard a clicking sound. I grabbed the flashlight and gun, opened the cabin door to find nothing at all. Went back to bed, and a few minutes later, I heard it again, this time I climbed into the cockpit, shined the light around and saw nothing, that is nothing until I shined the light in the water and hundreds of pink eyes were staring back at me. I grabbed the cast net, made one toss and netted about 50 huge shrimp. I suspect they were eating the algae off the hull, which accounted for the clicking sound. Sure were tasty for the next three meals, though.

All the best,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in