LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-22-2016 Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-23-2016
RTB
TROUBLE

Re: South Fla. Anchor Enforcement

We've been bouncing around the Miami area for a couple of months now. No problems so far, but just waiting for trouble. The derelict boats have been hit pretty hard in the past couple of weeks. Also, while the anchored boats north of the causeway seem to be getting hassled, that hasn't been the case (so far) with the boats south of the causeway. I'm not clear as to where the ticketed boats were anchored. Anyone know?

Currently I'm at Marine Stadium, but heading back to my old spot at South Beach tomorrow. There was a large power cat (just a gutted shell) that got towed next to us, and anchored (dumped). It appeared in the middle of the night as it wasn't there when we went to sleep. A couple of days later, a Miami Police boat showed up and boarded it. They put their red sticker on it, and came by to ask if we knew anything about the boat. I told them all I knew, and they thanked me. Obviously, they had no problem with me being anchored there.

We're heading north in a week or two, so hoping to escape Miami without any problems.

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-23-2016
bell ringer

I tired to read the posted link story, but gave up when the ranting became too much. Maybe the following was in the story:

1 - what do the tickets say
2- has anyone gone to fight the ticket in court
3 - what is the City going to do if no one pays the ticket

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-23-2016
Freedom Chip Counter

It really disheartens me to say this, but in much of (read "most of") South Florida, its pretty clear, money is the law.

I've seen Maserati's blow by police on the highway doing well over 90 miles an hour while the middle class fellow in a Buick Century gets nailed every time.

10mill yacht - play your music as loud as it goes.... 40' Hunter....better not be able to hear it beyond the stanchions.

I've talked to other's and it seems the attitude has always been if you don't like it, move on.

Sad, but this is not the only place in our Country that shares the same point of view.

Tartan 31
post #5 of 11 Old 03-23-2016
Boat Hunter

Y'all may not have seen the hundreds of posts on FB... lots of people calling, writing, Tweeting, volunteering and asking for the help of the Gov of FL to veto. Has been a pretty big effort by a lot of interested folks. Maybe it wouldn't have sounded like a rant. Wally has worked his butt off on this and so many other issues too. Gotta give the guy some props for trying instead of just whining.

colemj and bird song like this.

"It doesn't matter if you sail across the marina, across a bay, down the ICW or across an ocean. Distance doesn't matter. It only matters that you are out on the water enjoying yourself and learning every day."
post #6 of 11 Old 03-24-2016
Captain Obvious

I read up on this a bit -

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...eKe5IwZJ6X0phg

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 03-24-2016 at 12:34 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-24-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcStAug View Post
Y'all may not have seen the hundreds of posts on FB... lots of people calling, writing, Tweeting, volunteering and asking for the help of the Gov of FL to veto. Has been a pretty big effort by a lot of interested folks. Maybe it wouldn't have sounded like a rant. Wally has worked his butt off on this and so many other issues too. Gotta give the guy some props for trying instead of just whining.
There are many people ranting and raving and whining (Wally not among them) but very few stepping up to actually help with the efforts before the legislature. Large groups of cruisers and other boaters yell and scream but become quite silent when asked for even $5 to help the effort.

My observation is that not nearly as many people care as say they do.
Don0190 likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #8 of 11 Old 03-24-2016
Boat Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
There are many people ranting and raving and whining (Wally not among them) but very few stepping up to actually help with the efforts before the legislature. Large groups of cruisers and other boaters yell and scream but become quite silent when asked for even $5 to help the effort.

My observation is that not nearly as many people care as say they do.
I only know my own experience and that of the people I know and follow on social media. blogs, etc. We all donated to the "chain" and fully support the efforts via any way we can. I am afraid I am doing everything from Dallas area at the moment because that's where I am. I have property in FL and St Augustine will be my home port so as a tax payer I feel an obligation to help by voicing my support.

"It doesn't matter if you sail across the marina, across a bay, down the ICW or across an ocean. Distance doesn't matter. It only matters that you are out on the water enjoying yourself and learning every day."
post #9 of 11 Old 03-24-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcStAug View Post
I only know my own experience and that of the people I know and follow on social media. blogs, etc. We all donated to the "chain" and fully support the efforts via any way we can. I am afraid I am doing everything from Dallas area at the moment because that's where I am. I have property in FL and St Augustine will be my home port so as a tax payer I feel an obligation to help by voicing my support.
Wally's chain was too little too late. Even Wally trying to push people toward contributing to the effort didn't open people's wallets. It's going to be ugly from here and MORE expensive than if we had been able to raise even as little as $25k. *sigh*

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #10 of 11 Old 03-24-2016
Boat Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Wally's chain was too little too late. Even Wally trying to push people toward contributing to the effort didn't open people's wallets. It's going to be ugly from here and MORE expensive than if we had been able to raise even as little as $25k. *sigh*
I'll keep trying until I can't without thinking it is too little too late. We do what we can in the way we see fit.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in