Thinking of creating a liveaboard marina on BC Coast - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter

Thinking of creating a liveaboard marina on BC Coast

Business plan calls for initial setting up the breakwater plus a dozen or so slips with privacy barries in between. Very basic facilities at the start (electrical, washroom, showers, laundry, very high speed wifi). Revenue from slips will be used to add more slips over time.

My thoughts are that initial customers will pay a deposit up front that will allow them some manner of profit sharing / advisory capacity. They will have option of being paid back sooner rather than later.

Pipe dream? The premise is that there are people who work remotely, love the water and don't want to pay silly amounts for skyrocketing real estate.

Challenges I see are location/government/aborginal approval, stigma (divorced middle aged men), and minimzing dock drama (the worst thing about liveaboards is putting up with your roomates).

Ideally, the marina will be a real community of well educated folks and families who can successfully work remotely and provide value via knowledge work. Fiber optic wifi will be an initial required resource. Will also cater to retired demographic.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Blaze.

Last edited by BlaZespinnaker; 04-02-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 04-02-2016
Rainwatcher

Re: Thinking of creating a liveaboard marina on BC Coast

Unless you're an enrolled member, forget about getting tribal approval on First Nation land. If you're not on First Nation land, that shouldn't matter, unless your fiber optic network trench runs across tribal land.
post #3 of 44 Old 04-02-2016

I think you're facing some big obstacles...

Where exactly did you want to set this up?

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 44 Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter

Yeah, first nations is tuff! I have a few contacts. My thoughts are partnering. Marinas are really great for job creation for first nations. It also gives them an obscene amount of control relative to other types of developments (no 99 year land leases they have to cough up, etc)

Mosquito Creek I think is a model that is really amazing.

Last edited by BlaZespinnaker; 04-02-2016 at 06:51 AM.
post #5 of 44 Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter

As to where, that's a hard one. It'd have to be somewhere along the BC coast that has access to fiber optic. Mostly I'm trying to determine demand at this point.
post #6 of 44 Old 04-02-2016

Sounds interesting, kind of, I'm very seriously thinking about moving west again to live aboard, but you lost me with this part,

"My thoughts are that initial customers will pay a deposit up front that will allow them some manner of profit sharing / advisory capacity. They will have option of being paid back sooner rather than later."

Pay by the month with a reasonable yearly maintenance fee would be more my style, possibly some yacht club style volunteer duties. I just wouldn't want to be tied in.
Sounds cool if you attract the right crowd and run it like a business.
post #7 of 44 Old 04-02-2016
Master Mariner

Unless you can build a breakwater for a great deal less than anywhere else on the planet, even 1200 slips aren't going to do much to pay that expense back in a timely manner.
As for privacy barriers in between, I wouldn't put my boat in a slip with walls on both sides. It would be like living in a box.
It's always nice to see people thinking of adding a marina, especially a live aboard marina, instead of closing them for a condo/private slip situation, but you are going to have to do a lot more research to see if your idea can pan out.
Faster and shadowraiths like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 44 Old 04-02-2016

To start a 'Mosquito Creek' style facility from scratch in any populated area in BC (where your market and facilities might be available) would be a multi year multi million (tens of millions?) dollar venture. Never mind First Nations, getting Fisheries and Oceans approval for a breakwater could be a deal killer right there.

Sorry.. you'd nearly have to be Jimmy Pattison to pull this off.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #9 of 44 Old 04-02-2016

I a have a friend who owns a marina and he sure can drone on about how much hassle the foreshore lease is and how any changes open up the whole can of worms again

And its my understanding that liveaboard in just another one of those monster governmental obstacles...

Having said all that, it does sound like a great dream. We ran Shaw cable down to our temporary slip in Victoria and it made all the difference in being able to make a few bucks this winter.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late
post #10 of 44 Old 04-02-2016
al brazzi

Around here they are tearing Marinas down and building condo's certainly not building new Marinas, not sure if it translates to your situation but certainly a trend. I know when I was racing cars from time to time someone would come up with the notion of building a racetrack, and that's another level of the "deep pockets" Faster refers to. Every once in a while it actually gets done but only with a short term commitment from CART or similar sanctioning body then its passed around between a group of really rich guys that want to say they own a racetrack. Never the money maker everyone thinks it would be.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in