Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 06-02-2016

Re: Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security?

I know some US citizens that have worked overseas and paid into a foreign countries version of a social security retirement fund. They are back home now and collecting from it. But I fully agree, we should only be paying back what was paid in. For that matter, I hope to get back what I paid in, which is suspect.

If there is anything wrong with the system, it's that party in power (either or both) is forcibly taking people's assets and using them as they please. If 51% agree, they force their will, with the might of a penal system, on the other 49%. It's as simple as that, which is very distinct with whether you agree with what they are doing with the money.

Taxes are necessary, but we need to renew our vows to protect personal property rights. It seems anything of value can be partially excised by the government, too often to pander for votes. It's only getting worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 06-02-2016
Rainwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If there is anything wrong with the system, it's that party in power (either or both) is forcibly taking people's assets and using them as they please. If 51% agree, they force their will, with the might of a penal system, on the other 49%.
If you're talking about the American political system, you need a civics class if you're going to discuss politics. None of this is even close to correct.

Ignorance coupled with fear is what produced the Klan.
SailorSansBoat and aloof like this.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-02-2016 Thread Starter

Earlier in the thread someone referred me to this document, "Your Payments While You are Outside the United States," and I have read it completely.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

From reading the publication, to be honest there was nothing in there that didn't seem reasonable to me, and it is not quite the "Big Brother" scenario that some are making it out to be. It seems mostly to apply to the following situations:

-Special considerations involving non-U.S. citizens who are eligible for payments but living outside the country.
-Living in countries where the U.S. cannot send payments at all. There were only 2, Cuba and North Korea. Viet Nam is no longer on the list.
-Living in countries where receiving payments is restricted, and there are quite a few of those. It may be possible to receive payment in those countries, but special conditions will need to be met.
-Situations involving earning income for work performed out of the country.
-Over on CF there was a dispute about whether or not a bi-annual "proof of life" document was required to be filed. Someone in Panama arguing everyone had to do this, someone in Mexico saying, Nope, never heard of it. There is a list of specific countries where the bi-annual proof of life report is required. Panama is on the list, Mexico is not. Long term expats that have reported their location probably already know whether they need to do it or not, but if you're staying long term in one spot it might be prudent to check the list.

In most situations applying to U.S. citizens you will experience no ceasing of benefits just because you live outside the United States.

Other than that they stress the need to report any "change of address." For those of us who use a permanent U.S. address as we travel about, I don't see how this would apply to us, unless of course we decided to stop our boat and stay for a length of time in one of the countries on the non-payment or restricted list.

My interpretation of the document after reading it carefully is that for my situation there would really be nothing to report just because I am sailing seasonally in and out of the Bahamas/Caribbean unless I decided to drop anchor and stay in Cuba. If someone else can find something in the document that supports a different take on it, please point it out to me. I have no desire to live outside the law, even if I think the law is stupid.

post #14 of 15 Old 06-02-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
If you're talking about the American political system, you need a civics class if you're going to discuss politics. None of this is even close to correct.

Ignorance coupled with fear is what produced the Klan.
Typical pithy rhetoric, with no substantive content. You invoke the klan to make your unsubstantiated point? Pretty low.

I maintain, the party in control forces their will on the minority.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-02-2016

Been some interesting investigative reporting that the unelected gov't functionaries control much of what goes on and it matters little which party is in power. Given current choices that may be a good thing.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in