SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/254666-do-you-report-your-movements-social-security.html)

oldragbaggers 05-31-2016 11:47 PM

Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security?

A little update...... We are finally making our break. Our house is under contract and settlement is set for June 15th. We have our appointment with the retirement office tomorrow morning and will be retired from the school system effective July 1. We should be living aboard the boat by end of July and southbound in the ICW by September. Life is good. Very good indeed.

Tonight I was doing my online application for my social security benefits and at the end of the application I had to check a statement that says I agree to report to the social security administration any time I leave the country for more than 30 days. Really...?? :eek

Our plans for the near future, at least the first few years, is the snow bird route, with winters being in the Bahamas and Caribbean, at least for some of the season, and then back to the U.S. and north as far as we feel like going in the summer. Rinse and repeat.

I know there are many others doing the same thing, and probably a large portion of them that are retired, so I had to wonder, do you really contact the social security administration and report in to them every time you sail out of country for 30 days. And....why do they care?

aloof 06-01-2016 01:39 AM

Re: Do You Report Your Movements to Social Security?

Apparently only necessary if not a citizen. I've not heard of anyone ever having to send notice.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

oldragbaggers 06-01-2016 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aloof (Post 3514602)
Apparently only necessary if not a citizen. I've not heard of anyone ever having to send notice.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

Thank you for that clarification. They didn't specify anything about non-citizens in the statement I had to sign. We have our permanent address with St. Brendan's Isle and our checks will be direct deposited to USAA so I guess we're good to go.

outbound 06-01-2016 07:44 AM

Congrats ORB!!!!

Following in your foot steps. Open house this Sunday. If it sells move full time on the boat. SDR in fall.

Amazed how much work it's been to disengage. Who are you using for a mail service? What are you using for a land address?

hpeer 06-01-2016 09:44 AM

We left April 2. We maintained our legal address as our hunting camp in PA but are using SBI as a mailing address. SS is on direct deposit to PNC.

We took the big boat as far as New Bern. We will be taking the small boat North to Newfoundland in a week or so.

Seems to be working so far.

oldragbaggers 06-01-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outbound (Post 3514810)
Congrats ORB!!!!

Following in your foot steps. Open house this Sunday. If it sells move full time on the boat. SDR in fall.

Amazed how much work it's been to disengage. Who are you using for a mail service? What are you using for a land address?

You're not kidding about the work required to unplug. Never used to be that way for us. Lance was Navy for many years and we moved every three years so we kept things rather loose. But we had really dug ourselves in deep here over the past 12 years. It was like peeling a hundred tentacles off of us.

We are using St. Brendan's Isle for our permanent address. I have talked to a number of people who have been using them for a long time and have heard nothing but good recommendations. So far they have been very nice to work with. All our bills are set up to be handled online and all our checks go direct deposit to our bank. I think we're good to go.

guitarguy56 06-01-2016 12:40 PM

Reading that PDF of the SS benefits they are paying to 'citizens' from other countries it's no wonder we have a broken SS system... it isn't the system... it's the 'drain' paying all these non U.S. citizens our SS payments to them. (I'm not talking about a U.S. Citizen getting their SS payment while retiring in another country)... How did this ever happen?

guitarguy56 06-01-2016 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldragbaggers (Post 3514554)
A little update...... We are finally making our break. Our house is under contract and settlement is set for June 15th. We have our appointment with the retirement office tomorrow morning and will be retired from the school system effective July 1. We should be living aboard the boat by end of July and southbound in the ICW by September. Life is good. Very good indeed.

Our plans for the near future, at least the first few years, is the snow bird route, with winters being in the Bahamas and Caribbean, at least for some of the season, and then back to the U.S. and north as far as we feel like going in the summer. Rinse and repeat.

Congrats and hope all goes well with the sale... your plans are not much different than what we plan to do albeit less time 6-9 months and scurry back to land... one reason we need to keep one of our homes or keep one of the condos we have in Puerto Rico or my wife's Key Largo condo.

Same with my wife retiring from the school system... her retirement is still a ways to go... should have married some cutie my age... we'd be cruising already... now I have to wait! :eek

hellsop 06-01-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy56 (Post 3515362)
Reading that PDF of the SS benefits they are paying to 'citizens' from other countries it's no wonder we have a broken SS system... it isn't the system... it's the 'drain' paying all these non U.S. citizens our SS payments to them. (I'm not talking about a U.S. Citizen getting their SS payment while retiring in another country)... How did this ever happen?

Because non-citizens serve in our armed forces. Because we've granted refugee status to some few people for good and sufficient reasons. But mostly because Green Card-holders pay into the system the same as you and I. That's not a "drain", that's how the thing works.

guitarguy56 06-01-2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellsop (Post 3515474)
Because non-citizens serve in our armed forces. Because we've granted refugee status to some few people for good and sufficient reasons. But mostly because Green Card-holders pay into the system the same as you and I. That's not a "drain", that's how the thing works.

Those that joined the Armed Forces as non citizens have earned it. Those as refugees have not earned it unless they paid into the system for xx number of years and will then get xx benefits matching the years they paid into the system. Same goes with the Green Card Holders... unfortunately SS admin. is giving away this to everyone on the planet and why the system is broke... look into it as I and others have! You'll be surprised what you'll uncover!