Mooring a 13 ton sailboat ( Morgan 41 OI ) - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimsCAL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2016 Thread Starter

Mooring a 13 ton sailboat ( Morgan 41 OI )

Hi everyone,
I have a 1974 Morgan 41 Out Island. It displaces about 27,000 lbs. I want to moor it every summer, which would be from May to September. It would go on my current mooring in fresh water (a protected bay on one of the Great Lakes).

The system begins with three mushroom anchors (100 lbs, 200 lbs, 250lbs) which were laid down 30 years ago. The depth of the water is around 8 feet. I will replace all chain, swivels, etc. Currently a 30 ft O'Day swings on the mooring with no issues.

It is a fairly protected spot but can be counted on for a few good storms each season, with winds up to 30-40 mph.

Everyone tells me that I am silly to moor it and I should keep at a Marina. Yes, it could break loose but the yearly $ savings and the fact that it will be right at our house is too much to give up.

I think, with the right size and length of chain I will be safe to moor this heavy sailboat.

Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2016

Re: Mooring a 13 ton sailboat ( Morgan 41 OI )

Mooring Basics - How to Install a Permanent Mooring
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2016
Master Mariner

You can put together the underwater bits pretty easily, but the weak point in the setup will be where the pennant comes aboard the boat. Even with the best chafe gear it only takes a short time, in the right conditions, to wear through it and the pennant and your boat is going walkabout.
I understand that most of the communities in the Northeast that allow moorings have strict regulations about fabricating them, so that's where I'd go to get the information as to what size, length and weight the underwater bits should be.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 5 Old 07-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
You can put together the underwater bits pretty easily, but the weak point in the setup will be where the pennant comes aboard the boat. Even with the best chafe gear it only takes a short time, in the right conditions, to wear through it and the pennant and your boat is going walkabout.
I understand that most of the communities in the Northeast that allow moorings have strict regulations about fabricating them, so that's where I'd go to get the information as to what size, length and weight the underwater bits should be.
This has been covered here several times before.

The issue with the chaff is the stretching and un-stretching of the fibers internally in the bow pendant as it goes over the bow chock. The fibers heat up, and then melt and then break. If the bow eye were made really strong then you would use a large cable SS, but for most boats that is not an option.

What is an option is a dyneema Cyclone Pendant which then attaches to your mooring pendant, which attaches to the chain. The Cyclone is expensive, but its has about as much stretch as steel cable, but it bends.

It the hurricane Sandy event a few years ago, no boat connected with a Cyclone Pendant, to a stretchy nylon line broke due to chaff.

Google Cyclone Mooring Pendant.

New England Cyclone Mooring Pendant

http://www.neropes.com/Datasheets/MAR_CYCLONE.pdf

Debby Does Damage - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article

Everyday Moorings - Seaworthy Magazine - BoatUS
post #5 of 5 Old 07-19-2016

Not clear how those three mushrooms are connected together, but in general, I don't think they would be satisfactory for a boat your size. You are more than twice the displacement of the ODay 30. Here's another site with good info on moorings.
Mushroom Anchors --
Note that they recommend at least a 600 lb mushroom for a boat your size. The mushrooms you have are recommended for boats 25 feet or less! A mooring is not a place to take shortcuts.
seabeau likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in