First Crossing - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 Old 10-21-2016 Thread Starter

Re: First Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
I've been in spots where I could motor at 5 or 6 knts, but chose to sail at 3knts because the destination probably wasn't going to be as nice as where I was - be it the middle of nowhere.
This is also what we did. We motored sometimes and then just waited sometimes. The wind seemed to always pick up in the afternoon. We would watch the wind coming in from the horizon. We would say, "here it comes!" Always a welcome sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 Old 10-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgreen59 View Post
There were a good number of fishing boats in that area. One morning, we were on an intersection path with a fishing boat from about 1 1/2 miles away. I turned to point aft of him. He then turned 180 degrees. I turned again, then he turned again. We did this 4 times. Sometimes he would point straight at me. I laid out about 500 ft of floating line and tied 40 ft of 1/2 rope to that. The hope was to get this tangled in his prop and shut his engine down. Not sure it would have worked. After going on a parallel path with us for about 10 minutes, he turned away from us. I don't know his intentions, but it really scared us. A slip mate here in Panama said that the fishermen sometimes do this to scare you. It worked.
That's pretty crazy! You'd think they would have better things to do, like, I dunno ... earning a living catching fish, instead of wasting time and fuel?

Good mindset, trailing the line. Probably a long shot, but better than doing nothing at all.

Great thread, keep it coming!
gbgreen59 likes this.
post #23 of 41 Old 01-25-2017 Thread Starter

We passed through the Panama Canal last Sunday and Monday from the Caribbean to the Pacific. It was such an amazing experience. A couple of friends came to help us as line handlers from the US. We decided to use an agent to coordinate everything for us. He did a great job. Our Spanish is weak, and we don't know our way around too well. So, halving an agent worked well for us. Many people do well without an agent too.

We rafted up with other sailboats through the locks, and shared each chamber with a ship. The whole process is a sight to see. The Panamanians are proud to run the canal with efficiency. The do a great job.

If you ever get a chance to do this, be sure and take it. We were both mentally and physically spent at the end. Completely exhausted.

We then took off to the Las Perlas Islands after the transit. It is also beautiful. Never seen so many fish jumping. Tidal change was 10 feet. Biggest I've ever been in. And, my star gazer friend pointed out the Southern Cross to us. We were up at 2:30 AM to view this and to see how low the tide got. What a great experience. Four people up in the wee hours of the morning enjoying the creation. Life doesn't get much better.

Here is a link to some pictures

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...1pZTUxkbkdKUmM

Last edited by gbgreen59; 01-25-2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Added link to pictures

post #24 of 41 Old 01-26-2017

The Panama Canal has an entry on my bucket list. Where to from there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #25 of 41 Old 01-26-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgreen59 View Post
So, halving an agent worked well for us.
I understand this is a typo, but the mind reels.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #26 of 41 Old 01-26-2017

Great write up Mr. Green, thank you. What kind of boat is it and how do you like it?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #27 of 41 Old 01-26-2017 Thread Starter

We plan to go to Ecuador from here. We will tour South America by land to avoid the Hombolt current and north going winds. Probably stay there for a year until next season, when we will cross to the Marquises. Never know how the real plan will play out.
Spelling and grammar... normally have my wife proofread my mess, but it was really late ewhen I wrote it. Glad to see it almost made sense by accident...

Boat is a 35 foot sloop with 12 foot beam. Would go with a 40 (min) foot if I could do it over again. Need room for tools and spares. We have little room onboard.

I read Fatty Goodlander quite a bit. He recommends 35 to 45 foot boat for cruising couples with limited athletic (60 and over) ability. Seems like a good piece of advice to me. 35' will work for us.
post #28 of 41 Old 01-26-2017

Dock

Great photos.

It brings back memories of my transit through there. Wonderful.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #29 of 41 Old 02-13-2017 Thread Starter

We made it to Ecuador in 6 days at 640 nautical miles. This is our fastest trip yet. Wind and current were in our favor. WindyTV forecast wasn't accurate....thankfully. They had the wind moving to the west over a few days. I was concerned about having enough fuel so that we could keep moving. But we only used a quarter of a tank. We used almost an eighth of a tank (20 gal tank) leaving Panama. Then we motored into Bahia Caraquez. Had a glass of wine at 11:30PM when crossing the equator. Pretty exciting.

There is a small group of cruisers here getting ready to cross to the Marquesas. Looks like we will cross in a month or two. We plan to go the Marquesas without stopping in the Galapagos. The fun vs cost ratio is just too small for us. Many people are flying to the Galapagos from Ecuador (mainland) then coming back to their boat to cross. It is cheaper and less hassle. Many, or most, still stop in the Galapagos. Which reminds me, we saw several groups of ARC boats exiting the Panama Canal. Pretty cool to see.

Last edited by gbgreen59; 02-19-2017 at 03:08 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gbgreen59 For This Useful Post:
dixiedawg (02-13-2017), Towguy (02-14-2017)
post #30 of 41 Old 02-13-2017 Thread Starter

Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1651.jpg   IMG_1597.jpg   IMG_1696.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in