First Crossing - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 02-28-2017

Well good on you guys, while everyone is dreaming you guys are making it happen. Our first years of cruising were on a 36 foot boat and at the time it was plenty of space for us. Looks like you have a center cockpit with a long tiller, tillers are always the best for windvane. Have a wonderful crossing, the Marquesas are beautiful islands and the people are wonderful, anchorages were quite rolly. R
gbgreen59 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 05-15-2017 Thread Starter

Re: First Crossing

My wife and I just completed the crossing from mainland Ecuador to the French Marquesas. It took 28 days and 16 hours if I counted on my fingers correctly. We started on May 7 at a "going away" dinner at the restaurant Puerto Amistad. Puerto Amistad is located in the city of Bahia de Caraquez, Ecuador. We decided to buddy up with Kiwi cruising yacht called Solace. This was their second time to cross to the Marquesas and completes their first circumnavigation. We stayed within 200 nmi of Solace for the entire crossing. The wind for us was very good. Our best day was 170 nmi, but there was a nice current helping us. We had a bunch of 135 nmi days, and a good many with less mileage over a 24 hour period. There were some squally days and nights, but the wind never exceeded 20 knots. The wind became very weak for the last 600 nmi. We motor sailed at times through the night.

This was quite an experience. We were running downlind for 3 weeks. Poled out the jib for the first time and went wing on wing for about a week...for the first time. The spinnaker pole worked really well, and I thank a Kiwi that reviewed my rigging of the spin pole. Great chap with lots of racing experience.

Just a note that the more remote places have cruisers who look out for each other, help each other, and provide good friendships. It is really a great place to be. Hiva Oa is the only island we have seen so far. It is so beautiful. It reminds me of what Hawaiian islands might have been like in the 1940's and 50's. The Polynesians are predominant here. They have a commanding spirit of their lives and the direction they are going. That "Aloha" spirit sure lives here. You show respect, you get respect and a warm, welcoming spirit.

We have completed about 7,000 nmi since November 2015. About 5,500 nmi since July 2016. Just keep moving and the mile accumulate. Seems like a lot of mile when it is written down. But, does not seem like that much when we look back.

Last edited by gbgreen59; 05-15-2017 at 10:37 PM.
post #33 of 41 Old 05-15-2017

Dock

Congratulations!
That's the longest passage in the cruising world.
Well done. I hope you enjoyed it.

The Marquases look great but it could be because it's the first land you've seen for a month! ☺️

I loved them too.

That pizza place is good.

Enjoy that you have achieved what so very few have done.

You are a real cruiser now. Congratulations. ☺️☺️☺️
Sal Paradise and gbgreen59 like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #34 of 41 Old 05-15-2017 Thread Starter

The pizza place was the first restaurant we went to after getting here. Problem was, they only serve pizza at dinner and we were there for lunch. Guess that is island life. It is fun to know that others have been here too. There are about 20 cruisers here right now. Several come and go each day. Boats from fabulous to "just getting buy".
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #35 of 41 Old 05-16-2017

Hiva Oa! What did we do before Google Images??

That place looks too beautiful to even be real. I may have to see it for myself someday just to believe it. Congratulations, I raise my glass to you, sir! (actually it's just a coffee cup right now, but the sentiment is still the same )

Soooo ... are there any "size challenged" boats in the harbor there, as in sub-30' range??
gbgreen59 likes this.
post #36 of 41 Old 05-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
....That's the longest passage in the cruising world.....
Interesting thought. Is there nothing of similar duration, when crossing the Indian Ocean?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #37 of 41 Old 05-16-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
Hiva Oa!

Soooo ... are there any "size challenged" boats in the harbor there, as in sub-30' range??
My boat is on the slightly size challenged side at 35 feet. We met a older gentleman with a female Israelie crew on a 31' monohull. They have been meeting each year for the past 10 years. They crossed from Mexico to Hiva Oa. Also, not the first time for them. Others on 35 and under boats are usually young adventurers. Definitely a few in the 30 to 35 range. Many in the 38 to 46 range. And then there are those who afford more.
post #38 of 41 Old 05-16-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Interesting thought. Is there nothing of similar duration, when crossing the Indian Ocean?
If you go straight from Australia to South Africa, that would be longer. But, most cruisers don't do that. A young Swedish female did that a bunch of years back. But that is not the typical cruising route. For me, we will go to Thailand, Indonesia, Mentawis, Maldives, Maritius, and then South Africa if we make continue for that long. Can't miss those spots.
MarkofSeaLife and Towguy like this.
post #39 of 41 Old 05-16-2017

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
And the South Atlantic Capetown to the Caribbean.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #40 of 41 Old 05-16-2017

Did you stock up when in Colon or Balboa, or in Ecuador?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in