Providence to Ft Myers - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 62 Old 12-03-2016

Re: Providence to Ft Myers

Sometime in early Sept, the UN is in session and sporadically, they close the East River.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 Old 12-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
From Norfolk, its a bit shorter to run the Virginia cut vs Dismal Swamp tho the Dismal is more scenic. Figure 4 days via dismal and mayne 3 days to get to Beaufort NC.
There are two advantages to taking the Dismal Swamp route, other than scenery. Number one is the hospitality at Elizabeth City, with its free dockage and the wine & cheese party (with roses for the ladies) for transiting mariners. Number two is the opportunity to calibrated your log, as there are mile markers along the canal and NO CURRENT to screw things up (since there are locks at both ends.)
eherlihy and mbianka like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to fallard For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (12-03-2016)
post #43 of 62 Old 12-03-2016
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I have the Navionics ap on a tablet and it has tides AND current indicators. They work well.
I have Navionics as well. It does work but when planning a week or so in advance, it's so much easier to look at the current charts in Eldridge's. Getting through the Race or Watch Hill and then figuring out where to pull into a few hrs later, or how far up a channel you can get before the current turns with those old fashioned charts is a big help.

I'm of the school that thinks that good old Eldridge's is a little bit more accurate than other sources. That's just my personal opinion after sailing Block, Fishers and Long Island Sounds for all theses years. YMMV
mbianka likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

post #44 of 62 Old 12-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
I have Navionics as well. It does work but when planning a week or so in advance, it's so much easier to look at the current charts in Eldridge's. Getting through the Race or Watch Hill and then figuring out where to pull into a few hrs later, or how far up a channel you can get before the current turns with those old fashioned charts is a big help.

I'm of the school that thinks that good old Eldridge's is a little bit more accurate than other sources. That's just my personal opinion after sailing Block, Fishers and Long Island Sounds for all theses years. YMMV
Rob is right on. I also use Eldridge's as my primary tool for figuring current when planning a cruise in southern New England. I use my RM chart plotter and Garmin Bluetooth Mobile as well.

FWIW, you might check out the tide and current info at Sandy Hook Pilots Association - Home Page if you plan to go by NYC.
mbianka likes this.
post #45 of 62 Old 12-04-2016 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

I also use Eldrich (hell, I teach Eldrich in ASA104) and have listened to Mr Eldrich speak at my sailing club. He uses the NOAA tide charts as his source.

For this example I used the tide and current info available in PolarView NS, which is also based on the NOAA data.
post #46 of 62 Old 12-04-2016

Finding a good anchorage/harbor/marina at 50 mile intervals may not be feasible.
post #47 of 62 Old 12-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Finding a good anchorage/harbor/marina at 50 mile intervals may not be feasible.
Only along the Jersey shore.

Gary
post #48 of 62 Old 12-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Only along the Jersey shore.

Gary
well ya if you're doing the ditch I suppose.
post #49 of 62 Old 12-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I also use Eldrich (hell, I teach Eldrich in ASA104) and have listened to Mr Eldrich speak at my sailing club. He uses the NOAA tide charts as his source.

For this example I used the tide and current info available in PolarView NS, which is also based on the NOAA data.
The electronic data available is convenient when underway, but for planning purposes, the hourly charts in Eldridge's for Buzzards Bay-Nantucket Sound and Long Island-Block Island Sounds are invaluable for getting the bigger picture without scrolling on a screen.
RobGallagher likes this.
post #50 of 62 Old 12-04-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I am old school as well and keep Eldridge on board where it collects dust

Using Navionics is much easier IMHO. Especially for trying to determine strength of current when on a trip In real time or planning one months away.

The nice thing about the Ap is that it gives you the actual strength of current/ vs the time at any particular spot/ time.

I have traveled for many years in the LI Sound , Narraganset Bay/ jersey Coast areas.

In planning your trip if you go through Hell Gate the worst thing is to go through at slack CURRENT . You will be set upon by tugs wpushing / towing barge trains of up to 3 barges. And not be able to get away from them until Governors Island.

Generally we set up for the ride down the Jeserey Coast from apt Washington ( free moorings)
And ride the max current through Hell Gate to Sandy Hok or out NY Bay and down to Barnegat or Atlantic City.

We've hit 13.5 through Hell Gate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in