looking for ideas for tiller cockpit - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-28-2016 Thread Starter

looking for ideas for tiller cockpit

We are in the buying process of a canoe stern bluewater boat with a tiller. The boat is light on electronics, leaving me to ponder where I could mount a chartplotter? Any ideas or photos appreciated. I will miss the helm pedestal from the wheel steering - so convenient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-28-2016

Re: looking for ideas for tiller cockpit

Where is your traveler? If it is in the cockpit, that may be a spot to make an offset mount. Otherwise you always have the cabin wall. But I would want to be able to stow my chartplotter inside during rough weather.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
The Following User Says Thank You to krisscross For This Useful Post:
Ranthra (11-29-2016)
post #3 of 16 Old 11-28-2016
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranthra View Post
We are in the buying process of a canoe stern bluewater boat with a tiller. The boat is light on electronics, leaving me to ponder where I could mount a chartplotter? Any ideas or photos appreciated. I will miss the helm pedestal from the wheel steering - so convenient.
Our Rafiki has this exact challenge. My solution (so far) is to use a Garmin handheld chartplotter, along with an iPad (running iNavx) mounted under the dodger in a waterproof case with a RAM mount. The handheld can be right beside the helm person, and the iPad is large enough to view from the helm seat. I also have my depth sounder and wind speed/direction displays attached to the cockpit bulkhead on either side of the companion way.

Not sure if I have any pics, but itís pretty straight forward.
smitty225 likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
Ranthra (11-29-2016)

post #4 of 16 Old 11-28-2016

Somewhere around my office, I have a suction cup ram mount that you can pretty much attach to any smooth surface. When I had my Catalina 27, which was a tiller boat, I mounted the GPS/Plotter on a small platform that I attached to the bulkhead. I made the platform out of an old plastic cutting board and bored a couple holes in it, attached some brass brazing rod to the bottoms of the holes and used that part for a drink holder - worked great.

Good luck,

Gary
post #5 of 16 Old 11-28-2016

It would be helpful to know exactly which boat you're discussing... not the S37 in your profile, presumably...

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 16 Old 11-29-2016 Thread Starter

Yes, a different boat than the Seidelmann in my profile. The offer is for an Alajuela 38.

I like the ipad idea, and had thought of that route in the past. I guess there is a way to keep the screen awake and bright for extended periods? Running a 12V outlet would be simple. Seems like a good option at less than half the price of a comparable chartplotter.

I've seen some use of a swing arm from the inside cabin wall that can be rotated to place the chartplotter in the companionway when underway. Not sure I like this, but it does have the advantage of being able to also use the chartplotter at the navigation table inside.

Mounting on cabin top under the dodger may be in the way of running rigging and winches.

I like the clean open feel of the cockpit, but can't dismiss the risk of the tricky Carolina shoals.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-29-2016

Have the Garmin 7" plotter on a swivel mount in the companionway. It swings out for viewing from the helm and back so it can be seen from inside the cabin. A great location as it's easy to see in bright sunlight because it's under the shade of the dodger. Can also easily get at the controls while steering.

Mounted the sailing instruments in a pod over the companionway which is a great location. Can see the instruments while scanning forward. Mounted on the cabin side, you have to drop your sight line when looking at the instruments.
kwaltersmi and Ranthra like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to roverhi For This Useful Post:
Ranthra (11-29-2016)
post #8 of 16 Old 11-29-2016

Not knowing your boat... I found a good use for a rarely used under the dodger winch. All it took was an 11/16" square bar x 5" long if I recall correctly and the standard mounting bracket... a few holes and bolts... and a cig plug using an existing cig outlet in the cockpit dash
Attached Thumbnails
B&G T7.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
Ranthra (11-29-2016)
post #9 of 16 Old 11-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Have the Garmin 7" plotter on a swivel mount in the companionway. It swings out for viewing from the helm and back so it can be seen from inside the cabin. A great location as it's easy to see in bright sunlight because it's under the shade of the dodger. Can also easily get at the controls while steering.

Mounted the sailing instruments in a pod over the companionway which is a great location. Can see the instruments while scanning forward. Mounted on the cabin side, you have to drop your sight line when looking at the instruments.
+1 for both these ideas. Have seen and sail on boats with these options

We currently use a hand held GPS/Chart plotter GPSMAP78 and RAM mount with a sucker base on our little 31 foot tiller steered boat. RAM mount was about USD44

And another thought, you may not always be at the tiller (autopilot?) so you need to be able to see the instruments from other positions

Last edited by Triumphant; 11-30-2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: And another thought added
post #10 of 16 Old 11-30-2016
Wes

Here's my swing arm with ipad mini. The arm is nicely crafted from the Joy Factory.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0358.jpg   IMG_0329.jpg  

Just broad reachin' through life...
Alberg 30/ #196 Griffin's Faith

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in