Planning a Topside Washdown System - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 12-17-2016 Thread Starter

Planning a Topside Washdown System

Goal:
Pressure seawater for deck washing, anchor washing, personal washing, fish guts, etc....just pressurized raw water for general use up top.

My initial thoughts are to mount a pump in the lazzerette, minimize wiring runs and not put any new fixed plumbing into the boat.

Use 50' coil 1/2 or 5/8 hose and something like an 8' suction hose that would be thrown over the side.
The boat is 34' so that 50' coil hose might be at its limit...

Convenience and ease of use is important. My thinking...I can flip the lid in the cockpit, attach 2 hoses that are well-stored nearby, flip the switch, and then go to town...

Lazz drains to bilge so that's covered.

The boat has a windlass so big wire is already there, but I really don't want to add any thru deck fittings or in-cabin plumbing. Yeah, a 15' coil would be less of a pain than a 50'.

The 'kits' have some things I don't think I'll need, so I'm thinking just a pump and then lawn and garden items...

I would appreciate hearing past successes and failures in this department, and anything I missed in planning this.

Thx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-17-2016

Dock
Re: Planning a Topside Washdown System

The PO on my boat (Alberg 35) made one based on the thru hull for what was in the past the intake for the head (with seacock). There is a simple pump and switch below in the head, line running to a deck fitting, where we connect a hose. I sail in the Chesapeake and it does a great job of washing mud off the anchor and chain; never used it for actually cleaning the boat as we are based in a marina and have access to water there. No reason it couldn't be used to rinse the deck. The only modification I would make if I could or wanted a project is a way to activate the switch from above. I seem to forget it and end up making an extra trip below. Works great though.
post #3 of 41 Old 12-17-2016

Tapping into an existing thru-hull intake would be more convenient. Household spray heads and fittings, rust out very quickly in salt water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 41 Old 12-17-2016

My saltwater washdown pump is in the head, attached to a "Y" fitting, one that is the inlet to the head and the other for the washdown pump. Works great, I have just a 25 foot, coiled hose, which I primarily use for washing the mud and crud from the anchor and chain as I winch it in. I wash the decks with the same hose and pump, but it's by no means a power wash, just a rinse down after I hit the decks with a scrub brush and cleanser.

Good luck,

Gary
post #5 of 41 Old 12-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
...My initial thoughts are to mount a pump in the lazzerette, minimize wiring runs and not put any new fixed plumbing into the boat.

Use 50' coil 1/2 or 5/8 hose and something like an 8' suction hose that would be thrown over the side...
What kind of pump? A centrifugal pump has no suction, so you won't get anything through the hose. (That's why everyone puts centrifugal pumps right next to the through-hull.) A diaphragm pump has some suction, but probably not enough to pull the air volume of an 8' hose, and it will be pulsating. A positive displacement impeller pump might do it, but won't be cheap and might not be high enough volume.

Here's the solution that I put together. I used it to wash down the anchor on my old 25' boat. I still have it, but generally just use a bucket tied to a rope that I dip down into the seawater. This pump might not provide as much volume as you want. But you can move it to anywhere on your boat, as long as you have a 12v outlet or portable battery nearby:

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #6 of 41 Old 12-18-2016
Master Mariner

We have 4 of these pumps aboard. One makes the perfect non-installed washdown pump hung over the side and run off the inverter.
They are pretty handy as dewatering pumps (1550 GPH at 10 ft. of discharge lift each) run off the generator should the need arise. They can pump 1 1/4 inch discharge or they can use a garden hose with the included adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
pump.jpg  
SanderO likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 12-18-2016 at 02:13 AM.
post #7 of 41 Old 12-18-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
We have 4 of these pumps aboard. One makes the perfect non-installed washdown pump hung over the side and run off the inverter.
They are pretty handy as dewatering pumps (1550 GPH at 10 ft. of discharge lift each) run off the generator should the need arise. They can pump 1 1/4 inch discharge or they can use a garden hose with the included adapter.
I like that.
A rope with a hook on the toe rail...
baywater likes this.
post #8 of 41 Old 12-18-2016

What's the diameter of your head intake through-hull? It would be a very rare occurrence to be using the head while simultaneously washing the deck/anchor rode. Consider to hard pipe the intake to your salt water pump.
Also consider to add an 'as large as possible' accumulator to 'keep up' the system pressure during 'wash down events'; using as large as possible plumbing diameters to lessen flow restriction and pressure losses.
post #9 of 41 Old 12-18-2016

Rich, my thru-hull fitting is 3/4-inch diameter. I cannot recall anyone using the head while I was washing down the anchor chain and anchor.

Gary
post #10 of 41 Old 12-18-2016

My dedicated wash down thru-hull is 3/4in. Can't see any issue with sharing one, as long only one device is drawing at a time.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in