Sailing Key West on Catalina 22 - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 01-19-2017
Captain Obvious

Re: Sailing Key West on Catalina 22

I think if its a good motor and you are willing to just use it for hours, and you watch the weather - you'll get there fine. My 5 hp Merc which is the same basic motor will use about 1.5 liters per hour at about 5 mph. There is a dude in Patagonia sailing between icebergs on a Cat 22 right now. Does your motor charge the batt? Battery life would be a worry. Some other things that have helped me - I ditched the galley for more storage space. I find that I need to use an inverter for cell phone charging and a solar panel. I also have a combination chart plotter/ depth finder running off my single battery.

I wonder if the dingy is a good idea. It might be more problems to tow.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 01-19-2017 at 08:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal Paradise For This Useful Post:
Marcin Wroclaw (01-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 01-19-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap-Couillon View Post
"
So far this year, we seem to be getting a typical weather pattern. Strong E-NE winds for 7-10 days, swinging around to the S and laying down for 3-4 days. These 3 or 4 day weather windows are when most folks make the run down the outside or head across the Gulf Stream. Last year we couldn't catch a break. Seemed like the Nor' Easters blew steady for months on end. Lot's of seasoned travlers spent the whole season in the Keys rather than their planned trips. Ah well, most dangerous things on a boat are a watch and a calendar. If you have any doubts as to you or your boats ability to handle upcoming weather, stay put for a bit.
Thank you. I think the weather window will start this Tuesday will be open for 3-4 days. For this weekend forecast is saying wind 34 mph and wave swell 7.5, no good.
So anything blowing from East, below and around 15 mph i can count as weather wind, right?
post #23 of 27 Old 01-19-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I think if its a good motor and you are willing to just use it for hours, and you watch the weather - you'll get there fine. My 5 hp Merc which is the same basic motor will use about 1.5 liters per hour at about 5 mph. Does your motor charge the batt? Battery life would be a worry. I find that I need to use an inverter for cell phone charging and a solar panel. I also have a combination chart plotter/ depth finder running off my single battery.

I wonder if the dingy is a good idea. It might be more problems to tow.
I have 6 hp Tohatsu, not sure what is gas millage. My motor don't charge battery. I do have 130 Watts solar panels system and battery bank. We have chart plotter and deep/fish finder too. Cabin and running light contacted to dedicated battery. Chart plotter and other electronics connected independent to 2nd battery. My dingy is inflatable pontoon boat big Mariner, will be deflated and stored inside the boat.

post #24 of 27 Old 01-19-2017 Thread Starter

What is best anchor for Keys? How long needs to be chain and line ? I have SeaSense Anchor #15 Slip Ring Econo. Also will use my mooring anchor Seachoice Pyramid Anchor - 100 LB
post #25 of 27 Old 01-19-2017
Noah's Bosun

Sunday thru Tues looks pretty sporty. Inside route is open to the west so strong west winds can put an uncomfortable chop in the shallow waters of the sounds. GFS models look good after that for at least 4 days or so... 15-20 on the inside route is just good sailing. Remember the forecast is an educated guess. Especially more than 4 days out. Avoid the big blows and you should be fine.

Double check your Tohatsu... My 6hp 4stroke SeaPro puts out 5-6 amps at normal speed. Not a lot, but it helps. Checking fuel logs, average around 13 mpg (statute) with no big currents to worry about in the bay side. If you were to take Hawk Channel from Moser Channel to Key West you are traveling well inside the eastern edge of the Gulf Stream. Much closer into shore around Key Biscane and Miami.

"If the wind will not serve, lay to the oars"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 27 Old 01-19-2017

Hawk Channel from 15 Mile cut is a slog on a good day. With the skinny draft you sport, you can do the Gulf side with no problems whatsoever. Lots of nice places to drop the hook, but the sand is pretty thin and you need all the chain you can hang in order to hold tight. Some very protected locations back in the mangroves, though, but the skeeters and noseeums will eat your butt alive if you don't have a full screen enclosure for the cockpit. Ran into this near Big Copit Key several years ago in a center console fishing boat while holing up during a brief thunderstorm. I still have the scare to prove it.

Good luck,

Gary
baywater likes this.
post #27 of 27 Old 01-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcin Wroclaw View Post
I have 2 - 3 weeks, Im flexible with time. Any sugestions?
Here's one ... Launch from Marco Island and sail down along the coast to Marathon Key. Then, once you're in Marathon, choose the inside or outside route to Key West depending on weather. You will have a blast. The coastline between Marco Island and Marathon Key is gorgeous, and has many protected anchorages you can duck into, and sit on your own private beach drinking rum and watching the sun set on the Gulf of Mexico while the weather blows over. Halfway down is Little Shark River, which is worth a day of exploring unto itself. We sail a C22 in the area regularly, and LOVE it. Just be aware there will be no cell phone/internet/marinas/NOTHING for most of the way. The VHF will be your only communication and your only source of weather forecasts. But to us, this is part of the appeal.

Now, getting BACK to Marco from KW is another story since the winds are typically east. You might have to do it straight through, which is over 93 miles of open water sailing due north. Only you can say if you're up for that. I myself have not done it yet, due to time constraints. One of these days though ...!

Last edited by dixiedawg; 01-19-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in