Managing Kittie Litter - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 01-25-2017 Thread Starter

Managing Kittie Litter

We are about to move aboard a Catalina 470 with 3 cats. Any tips or suggestions on how to manage the kittie litter situation. What works the best?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-25-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Managing Kittie Litter

No idea...

If it were me, I would get an enclosed litter box, and I would secure it to a specific place in the cabin. With 3 cats going in and out while using it, it's going to make a mess though. How do the cats feel about the boat?

I'm planning to bring my 35' boat to Ft Myers. Any leads on where I could keep it at a slip would be appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-25-2017

The bigger the litter the better. Clay is out. The wood pellets work pretty good and the absorbing synthetic stuff isn't too bad (we had a jug stored as emergency backup). At some point you will lose the leisure to choose so bring plenty. But get used to having bits of it underfoot regardless. You can never seem to sweep enough. And it goes without saying you can't afford to be a lazy scooper.

We used a small open litter box for ease of access and ability to stuff it under the chart table. Not sure if that is recommended with three of the little monsters ;-) Get one of those non-skid mats. The litter box rarely moved an inch even when we were negligent about reefing.

Don't forget the cat amusement systems (although I suppose with three of them they can amuse themselves) and cat scratching posts. We wrapped the compression post with hemp.

Please, please, please, bite the bullet and both rig and actually practice a system for your cats to get back onboard. And consider lifejackets if you ever intend for them to be left alone on deck, even for a just a short while.
Computer_bad likes this.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:

post #4 of 22 Old 01-25-2017

First off you are either very brave or ........... to be moving onto a boat with three cats. That's a lot of cat .... to get rid of on a weekly basis. Have you thought about retraining them to use the head. Yes I'm serious, a friend of mine bought a system that you put on top of the toilet and train them to go in the toilet. It actually worked. She then got an auto flush timer that would flush every few hrs. Not sure if you can get that for a marine head or not. But it worked great at home.

Peter
post #5 of 22 Old 01-25-2017
Old as Dirt!

Three cats on a 47 foot boat? That will smell just lovely in no time!

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #6 of 22 Old 01-26-2017
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I have one cat and live on the hook. I use a big box with a hole cut in one end, it is kept at the stern end of the cockpit. Cheapest chipped clay litter works fine for me. Sometimes commercial litter is unavailable and I use sand but he does track it around the boat.

I move it down below into a head on passage.

I change it weekly and it goes into the landfill.
Attached Thumbnails
5-RIMG1664.JPG  
Minnesail likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLman View Post
We are about to move aboard a Catalina 470 with 3 cats...
I wonder why you are on a mono... you should be in a Cat - one Cat!
Computer_bad likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-26-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

the group gatos del mar on facebook goes into this in depth complete with potty training and best litters to buy. be prepared to show off your cats .... over 600 members each with awesome ideas. come on over

https://www.facebook.com/groups/277701742402893/

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #9 of 22 Old 01-26-2017
Learning the HARD way...

zeehag likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #10 of 22 Old 01-26-2017

A bristle mat at the box exit/entrance and a small handheld battery vacuum work well.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in