Record Breaking Circumnavigation - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 03-23-2017
El Chupa Nibre

Re: Record Breaking Circumnavigation

Hopefully this turns into Rimas 2.0

Has this been posted on Sailing Anarchy yet?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Bubs For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (03-23-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 03-23-2017
Fortuitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bubs View Post
Hopefully this turns into Rimas 2.0
This cat turned into a peepants after only a handful of reality was thrown his way. There's no way he has the enduring ignorance of a Rimas.

"The most ambitious voyage in a san juan 24 foot. Attention! guys this is not a blue water boat only for lakes sailing no engine no dinghy no money incredible."
October 6, 2014 01:41:30 GMT
14.3998°N, 149.6041°W

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-23-2017

I've tried to ask politely, but haven't read an answer. What's the compelling reason someone should donate? I have a dream won't work, it doesn't work for me.

Call it criticism, if you like. It's intended as input. Sometimes hearing what you don't want to hear can save a ton of time that might otherwise have been spent on a better idea.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 30 Old 03-23-2017
GreenasGrass

I suspect that your best bet is to find a boat owner who wants to do a similar trip but needs your experience and help. Develop a youtube channel and gain followers via good video and communication. Lots of people would like to follow the circumnavigation. Lots of people have youtube sailing channels where they ask for beer money and to be a Patreon patron (give donations). People must be donating beer money here and there. Probably small donations I would imagine.

Sailing around the world is something that 10,000 want to do vs 1 that does it.

If I had a blue water boat, I would be interested.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-23-2017

Even if you had a suitable boat and all the money you needed, can a person even visit every country? I can't imagine North Korea being very welcoming, and I'm sure there are other countries that might not be cruiser friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 30 Old 03-23-2017
GreenasGrass

Think he said the landlocked countries were out. He got spanked pretty good here, may have sailed elsewhere. His plans need a lot of fine-tuning. A boat would be helpful by my estimation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timangiel View Post
Even if you had a suitable boat and all the money you needed, can a person even visit every country? I can't imagine North Korea being very welcoming, and I'm sure there are other countries that might not be cruiser friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17 of 30 Old 03-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
This cat turned into a peepants after only a handful of reality was thrown his way. There's no way he has the enduring ignorance of a Rimas.
Whatever happened to that Rimas guy?? I remember reading through about fifty pages on SA, and that was only when he arrived in Frisco, having been blown slightly off course from the Horn, or something like that.

Did he make circumnavigation for magnificent by sailing world record and write book??
post #18 of 30 Old 03-23-2017
Master Mariner

As a professional captain who did hundreds of deliveries way back when the pay was a measly $2 per mile, I could BANK 10k in just a few months or less. Are you only a part time delivery captain?
You could be working on a commercial fishing boat in Alaska, or rig boats, earning REAL sea time and a sh*t pot of money and not have to beg strangers to fund your playtime. I just don't see how you expect folks to fund your playtime when you aren't contributing at least the lion's share. One need not be rich to attain one's dreams, but if one isn't, then one should at least be willing to put in a lot of hard work towards that end.
I bought my first big boat, a 50' Rhodes cutter, for cash at 22. I worked the West Coast trollers and Alaska crab boats through high school and beyond to fund my dream of a circumnavigation, which I'd had since I was about 8, after reading Slocum's book. That circumnavigation took 9.5 years and sailing became my profession.
By the way, only amateurs count miles, not professionals. The guy driving the Staten Island ferry can put a lot of miles under his keel every year.
Time to close down the website and get to work earning the money you need.
aeventyr60 and Arcb like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #19 of 30 Old 03-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by timangiel View Post
That is the whole point of going for such a record. If it was easy, it would have been done long time ago.
If the dude gets discouraged by the bashing on Sailnet, he probably ain't the type that rounds the Horn.
dianaofburlington likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #20 of 30 Old 03-23-2017
Fortuitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
Whatever happened to that Rimas guy?? I remember reading through about fifty pages on SA, and that was only when he arrived in Frisco, having been blown slightly off course from the Horn, or something like that.

Did he make circumnavigation for magnificent by sailing world record and write book??
Free Boat #1: San Juan 24 Cesura. Wrecked in Alaska and abandoned.

Free Boat #2: San Juan 24 Pier Pressure. Drifted to American Samoa, called for help to get towed in, and abandoned the boat.

Free Boat #3: Rawson 30 Mimsy. His anchor line chafed through and was unwilling or unable to start the engine or SAIL THE BOAT. He drifted from Sausalito, through the Golden Gate, out into the Pacific Ocean. He drifted down to Monteray Bay and remembered that he had a radio, where he called for help. The Coasties towed him in to Monterey, where he got a couple free days of emergency mooring. Then the harbor master told him that he had to either get out or start paying, so he [obviously] got towed out again and drifted to Hawaii, where he has officially abandoned boat #3.

"I moved to my friends house ! No anymore living on the sailboat, more room and more quite place too."
31 January 2017

https://sailingfortuitous.com/rimas-adrift/

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in