Record Breaking Circumnavigation - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 03-26-2017
J Cherubini II

Re: Record Breaking Circumnavigation

Sorry, Capt Ryan, but though I wish you all the health & happiness in the world this sounds like another 'all-theory' speculator working too much out on paper before actually doing anything towards the goal. I know; I've been guilty of that too.

Concerns:

What record is it that's going to be broken? --longest circumnavigation to date? Hey; I'm a candidate for that one-- 60 years sailing and still in the Atlantic Seaboard. But I'm working on it.

Why use a catamaran? --this reminds me of little Abby Sunderland choosing the wrong boat for a commercially-funded voyage (free money) and failing in the extreme. I wouldn't get caught dead in a catamaran at sea. Just following the old rule-- if the wave is higher than the boat is wide, it's a capsize risk-- just imagine the size of wave that's going to upset a catamaran. Probably smash it to bits while it's at it. And then what?

I agree with Jammer Six, who reminds us of what Francis Chichester said. Chichester saw no reason to have a launching party to celebrate a boat that hadn't done anything yet. Better to have the party to celebrate when it's all over. And, as it turned out, his boat (GM 4) turned out to be positively awful on just about every mark-- would not self-steer (broke its own self-steerer), was awful at heaving to, spent most of the trip heeled at 35-45 degrees. Chichester missed his 'record-breaking' target by like 6 days and called it a failure. For sure he would done much better with a more conventional full-keel cutter or ketch than with Illingworth's tipsy, underweight, over-long mistake. So there's something against defying conventional wisdom after all.

Ideally this enterprise could be made very pleasant by choosing a great overweight blimp like Dodge Morgan did. Morgan celebrated passing Cape Horn by trimming all his sails electrically, having a hot shower, eating a hot meal, and chatting on the Internet with with his family and friends. I fail to see how ANYONE could NOT do it given every conceivable aid to convenience and unlimited funding, such as Morgan had. There's no valuable record being set there (except maybe 'most money spent on circumnavigation'). I'd contend he wasn't even doing it 'solo', for all the assistance he had.

Theory:

I once began writing a novel about a little girl (17) who circumnavigates in a J-27. (Strictly an armchair-traveler work.) I did oodles of research and concluded that there IS an 'easy' (note use of quotes) way to do this... if one chooses the right time and conditions in which to go. Viewed as a port-to-port rally, the trip has only two passages over about two weeks: the Atlantic and the western Pacific. Nearly all the rest could be kept to a range commensurate with the life of bag ice in a '5-day' cooler. At this point it could *almost* be done in a dinghy.

Then again I'm the guy who suggested in sailboatowners.com that one could probably round Cape Horn with a Laser... given the right conditions-- which is really the single most important element in all of this.

Just a thought.
Towguy likes this.

J Cherubini II
Yacht Diana, Burlington NJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 03-27-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture Beyond View Post

I rarely check this forum so ...

...Capt. Ryan Langley
So basically your thread is to direct people to your website where you will document your adventure (currently still a paper adventure) and hope that they donate?

I'm starting to feel my age. In my day if you don't have your own money to do something, you work harder to get your own money or don't do it. But that's just me.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #23 of 30 Old 03-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
So basically your thread is to direct people to your website where you will document your adventure (currently still a paper adventure) and hope that they donate?

I'm starting to feel my age. In my day if you don't have your own money to do something, you work harder to get your own money or don't do it. But that's just me.
Come on Donna, that's so old school. Didn't that idea go out with the full keeler, Cqr's, trysails, do it your self repairs, windvanes and such?

Crowd funding, GPS, Mfd's and a bit o Daddy's money are the rage now. Looks like the snowflakes are making their way into our old world. Time to set sail before too much more of this crappola finds it way here.
Lazerbrains likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

post #24 of 30 Old 03-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
a bit o Daddy's money
A bit of Daddy's money? Those Mahe 36's are $200 000 used!
post #25 of 30 Old 03-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
A bit of Daddy's money? Those Mahe 36's are $200 000 used!
Well then, he needs a gal with a PHD..pappa has dough

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #26 of 30 Old 03-28-2017

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Come on Donna, that's so old school. Didn't that idea go out with the full keeler, Cqr's, trysails, do it your self repairs, windvanes and such?

Crowd funding, GPS, Mfd's and a bit o Daddy's money are the rage now. Looks like the snowflakes are making their way into our old world. Time to set sail before too much more of this crappola finds it way here.
Well, I can't throw stones at inheritance but forcryingoutloud! If you fall short, why is the first reaction these days to go looking to strangers to give you money just because you're you? With practically nothing in return for the person giving the money? Sure, there are lots of people posting sailing videos and some turned into a lucrative adventure but I think the ones who were most successful had something more than "look at me I'm sailing!" to offer. The Shards for example. They bought their first boat with their own funds (presumably, since they started before the gofundme-type sites were born), posted videos for free and then when people showed an interest started selling them. You knew what you were getting before you handed over any money. Before my local cable channel started showing them I purchased the first ten seasons on DVD. I learned a lot about sailing to different destinations, I learned a lot about the countries they visited. I learned a lot about sailing as a couple. Even the boaters who turned their adventures into books for sale gave me something in return for my "donation" (and let's be honest, most of those books aren't all that good).

On the other hand, I suppose it doesn't hurt to try sticking your hand out and hoping a few coins drop out of the ethernet. It's just not my way of doing things.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #27 of 30 Old 03-28-2017

Dock

Quote:

On the other hand, I suppose it doesn't hurt to try sticking your hand out and hoping a few coins drop out of the ethernet. It's just not my way of doing things.
I think we live in a fools paradise... and we are the fools.

We had rich countries, we worked hard. We give money to non-working strangers on the street so they don't have to work. We feel war is bad so we let the protagonists into our countries to change our communities to be like the wars they came from.

I feel it time to take back our righteousness and call out people who beg for money, like this thread, as the utter scum they are.

Begger, bugger off!!

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #28 of 30 Old 03-28-2017

Dock

"Scum" is a little harsh. I suppose all this is nothing new in the history of humankind. The something new is the internet.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

post #29 of 30 Old 03-28-2017

Dock

Quote:
"Scum" is a little harsh. I suppose all this is nothing new in the history of humankind. The something new is the internet.

It may be tolerance level has overflowed.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #30 of 30 Old 03-29-2017
Captain Obvious

Someone gave Slocum his boat, and he was hosted and entertained a lot for free - yet few people would call him scum.

And he didn't even have youtube! He had to write a book!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in