Welland canal transit - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Welland canal transit

I'm buying dinner at the other end - so I think Ill be OK.

But then I'm known to be an optimist...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 05-25-2017

Re: Welland canal transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailymirror View Post
I'm buying dinner at the other end - so I think Ill be OK.
There isn't much at the L.O. end of the canal unless you go to Niagara on the Lake or Port Dalhousie. I kept my boat at a yard by lock 1 for 2 winter's, it's pretty desolate.

Port Dalhousie is probably your best bet.

Last edited by Arcb; 05-25-2017 at 12:23 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Nothing to add to BP's post except that it's correct. They'll provide approximately 100' poly pro lines. Minimum 3 adults on board.
Same here. Good post.

You do need to take up and handle those heavy lines. Crew needs work gloves for sure. On top of that, we used two old fashioned Barton opening snatch blocks attached to perforated toerail near bow and stern. We ran the lines through those. This made taking up, letting out on the lines easier while still maintaining tension. There is a lot of turbulence, so you need to hang on tight!

By the way, they usually have you go up front of the lock. Then a huge freighter comes in behind you. Can be kind of daunting!
The Following User Says Thank You to FreeAgent For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (05-26-2017)

post #14 of 16 Old 05-26-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
There isn't much at the L.O. end of the canal unless you go to Niagara on the Lake or Port Dalhousie. I kept my boat at a yard by lock 1 for 2 winter's, it's pretty desolate.

Port Dalhousie is probably your best bet.
Thanks Arcb. We all live in Hamilton, so if it has to wait till then I'm sure they wont mind. Although there were a couple of decent restaurants not too far from the Port Dalhousie harbor last time I visited.

Last edited by dailymirror; 05-26-2017 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added Port Dalhousie name topost
post #15 of 16 Old 05-26-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post
Same here. Good post.

You do need to take up and handle those heavy lines. Crew needs work gloves for sure. On top of that, we used two old fashioned Barton opening snatch blocks attached to perforated toerail near bow and stern. We ran the lines through those. This made taking up, letting out on the lines easier while still maintaining tension. There is a lot of turbulence, so you need to hang on tight!

By the way, they usually have you go up front of the lock. Then a huge freighter comes in behind you. Can be kind of daunting!
Thanks FreeAgent. Ill pick up some good gauntlets and remember to put my biggest fender at the stern!
post #16 of 16 Old 05-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailymirror View Post
Thanks FreeAgent. Ill pick up some good gauntlets and remember to put my biggest fender at the stern!
You won't need the fender!

But you should make sure you have two sturdy pike poles to fend off the dock walls. Thinking back, we also used a piece of 2x6 as a fender board. Ideally have 4 crew - two with the pike poles and two with work gloves handling the lines. Try to heel boat away from walls so spreaders don't catch. Those Barton snatch blocks are pretty expensive these days. We just happened to have them. Going down is easier, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in