Welland canal transit - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-24-2017 Thread Starter

Welland canal transit

I'm hoping to transit the Welland Canal in about 2 weeks for the first time - Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. Someone told me recently that you need super long mooring lines - in the order of a hundred feet. Really? Surely that's a bit apocryphal? I have lots of good strong mooring lines aboard - but nothing like that. Or do I need to head for the chandlery?

Have any recreational boaters transited in the last little while? Any other tips? How are Port Dalhousie and Port Colbourne dealing with the high water?
The Following User Says Thank You to dailymirror For This Useful Post:
timangiel (05-26-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-24-2017
Dirt Free

Re: Welland canal transit

Came through day before yesterday on my 100th passage.
No, you do not need any mooring lines. You will pull up near the front on the lock and they will drop two lines too you.
You must have three crew onboard for upbound passage one at bow, one at stern and a helmsman. This requirement is due to the extra turbulence when filling the locks, you do need someone on the throttle. Downbound you can do it single handed if you are good enough but I don't recommend it, two is best.

There are free docks at either end of the canal where there are phone booths with dedicated lines to check in with Seaway Control.
There are no service at either dock. When you come into the canal from Lake Ontario look for the first little basin on the port side and the telephone booth, you can tie up there.

What kind of boat ?

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (05-24-2017)
post #3 of 16 Old 05-24-2017

Nothing to add to BP's post except that it's correct. They'll provide approximately 100' poly pro lines. Minimum 3 adults on board.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (05-24-2017)

post #4 of 16 Old 05-24-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks Boatpoker!

I'm planning on transiting the canal the week of June 5th. The boat is a CS33 with a 3YM20 motor. Crew will be my wife and I and a couple or three friends from Hamilton. Weather permitting.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-24-2017 Thread Starter

By the way, I'll have to read the Guide again, but I think I read recently that recreational boats can only start the trip between 9 AM and 5 PM. Is that accurate?
post #6 of 16 Old 05-24-2017

Not sure about that. It used to be 24/7 until pretty recently. Maybe give them a call?

Could be a long night if you show up past 5, I've taken anywhere from 6-16 hours for a transit with 8-10 being normal.

Last edited by Arcb; 05-24-2017 at 06:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (05-25-2017)
post #7 of 16 Old 05-24-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailymirror View Post
By the way, I'll have to read the Guide again, but I think I read recently that recreational boats can only start the trip between 9 AM and 5 PM. Is that accurate?
24/7 for all vessels. It took us 7hrs downbound the other day. My average is about 10hrs. 12-14hrs is not all that unusual but I have taken as long as 36hrs when they shut it down with me in lock 3 due to fog...... a very long night.
Arcb likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (05-25-2017)
post #8 of 16 Old 05-24-2017

Went upbound exactly one year ago. Checked in at 7 am, started moving 4pm, finished 1am. I think it is a bit cheaper if you pay toll online.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to skalashn For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (05-25-2017)
post #9 of 16 Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
24/7 for all vessels. It took us 7hrs downbound the other day. My average is about 10hrs. 12-14hrs is not all that unusual but I have taken as long as 36hrs when they shut it down with me in lock 3 due to fog...... a very long night.
Hmmm. So, extra snacks. And if we're not close friends when we start we may be by the time we're done!
post #10 of 16 Old 05-25-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailymirror View Post
And if we're not close friends when we start we may be by the time we're done!
If you don't kill each other first

PS. When we went through the other day the credit card machine at the phone booth was down .... no charge for canal transit. Get there before they fix it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in