Horizon HX870. Anyway to get data from gps and have it plotted on a smart phone? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 12-08-2017

Re: Horizon HX870. Anyway to get data from gps and have it plotted on a smart phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but to me, it sounds like the OP is concerned about unwanted tracking of his movements via DSC, not that he wants to tether his phone to his radio.
That was how I read his post, and formulated my reply accordingly. Now I'm not sure.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 12-08-2017

Re: Horizon HX870. Anyway to get data from gps and have it plotted on a smart phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yikes, all of those functions work fine on our HX851. We use position reporting, DSC calls, waypoints, and routing all the time with it (in the dinghy).
Those functions all work fin on my HX870 - not sure what is wrong with Eherlilys, but if mine didn't work I would send it back - they are expensive handhelds.
post #23 of 28 Old 12-08-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Before you go there; I am running Firmware rev 2.03 on the HX870.

As I said, I find most of these features too clumsy to use on a handheld. Most of these features are available, and more intuitive to use on my chart plotter (Raymarine eS78) and fixed-mount VHF (Ray50).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #24 of 28 Old 12-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Before you go there; I am running Firmware rev 2.03 on the HX870.

As I said, I find most of these features too clumsy to use on a handheld. Most of these features are available, and more intuitive to use on my chart plotter (Raymarine eS78) and fixed-mount VHF (Ray50).
For sure. But you don't have your chart plotter or fixed-mount in the dinghy.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #25 of 28 Old 12-08-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
For sure. But you don't have your chart plotter or fixed-mount in the dinghy.

Mark
... and I don't have side lights or an all-around-white light on my dinghy either.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #26 of 28 Old 12-11-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but to me, it sounds like the OP is concerned about unwanted tracking of his movements via DSC, not that he wants to tether his phone to his radio.
No; I don't care if I'm tracked. I'm first time sailing ICW, or, any salt-water ever. So, I just want a way mainly to send out a distress signal and be found should something go awry. Tracking of my friends back home is something I wanted to share with my family.

I downloaded the mx mariner app for my droid. Looks like that will give me what I want (except, having trouble downloading the correct map for KW).
post #27 of 28 Old 12-11-2017
Learning the HARD way...

If by KW you mean Key West, that can be found in the NOAA - USA Charts REGION_08.

post #28 of 28 Old 12-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitrock63 View Post
...I just want a way mainly to send out a distress signal and be found should something go awry...
That's what the distress button is for. However, in order to use it, you MUST register for a MMSI and enter the MMSI into the radio. If your use is US only you can get a MMSI from one of the commercial websites (BoatUS used to be free, but I hear you need to be a member now). If you plan to use it overseas, you need a international MMSI which involves radio license and fees. But either way, you really must do it or all the safety benefits of DSC are unavailable to you.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in