Utilizing Google Earth in Navigation - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 Old 01-01-2018

Re: Utilizing Google Earth in Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I have been trying to get some where with this, it looks pretty cool. All the links I have tried have turned up to be out of date dead ends. I wonder if any one has current links or if this service has been discontinued.
View the Youtube video here and click at bottom right to watch on the actual Youtube site
Scroll down into the comments and you'll find people periodically provided a new link as the NOAA site changed. The comment from "J Wilson" just worked for me; downloaded the file, and updated GE. I'm now trying some of the features.
jblumhorst and Arcb like this.

Capt. Ed Caldwell, USCG OUPV Near Coastal
ASA Instructor for BKB, BCC, BBC and CON
S/V Grace, Hunter 340 on Lake Lanier, GA

Last edited by ecaldwel; 01-01-2018 at 05:51 PM. Reason: clarify
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecaldwel For This Useful Post:
Arcb (01-01-2018), svHyLyte (04-18-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 01-02-2018
Rainwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I didn't know you were not allowed to make use of both in a sanctuary city.
Something new...
I was going to work on parsing that, in English, but I needed to take a dump.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.
post #23 of 46 Old 01-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Different subject...

Some time in the past, you posted (another forum) about charts for the San Blas.
I've downloaded those but am have a tough/computer idiot time getting them moved to OpenCPN.
So far, the only charts I have on CPN are some of the US NOAA...which the program had ready as a prompt.
The San Blas charts should be in .kap format, which OCPN reads. Make sure you set OCPN chart preferences to the folder containing the charts, and then update/install them.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 46 Old 01-03-2018

Google Earth is great for planning passages. I rough out a route on the big screen, then transfer it approximately to my phone Navionics app. Then I zoom in close and 'fly" the route for safety. Easy to make small changes at that point. As was said before, the satellite imagery and GE photos of the most remote places are terrific to get an idea of what you will be seeing on approach. Pilot charts for out of the way places and stuff like Charlie's charts are getting harder to find these days. GE is also very handy to find shore resources. I have seen the nautical chart overlays on GE. Not as useful as flying the route on the phone or tablet for me. As for reef passes. There is nothing like timing the approach for good light. Once inside however, the previewed sat views are good to know where not to go or where the good snorkeling might be.
post #25 of 46 Old 01-03-2018
Rainwatcher

I wouldn't use Navionics if my ass was on fire and it had water.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

post #26 of 46 Old 01-04-2018
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

I agree that Google Earth can be usefull as a navigational supplement but Ive been studying inlets along the south shore of Long Island and found the google sat photos (which are composite) are seldom fully up to date. There are days the images are composed of part near-time and part past days or month and the file numbers will not reflect that.
Also labels and location detail can be way off . This is true of most of the digital charts available from major software companies using processed Nooa data. On half the chartplotters in the local West Marine the channel I sailed in that day is depicted as a dry sand spit despite it having been navigable water for over 4 years. Local knowledge, my eyes, and TowboatUS have been the only reliable sources
Your tax dollars are not being spent at the US Coast Survey unfortunately. And navigational disclaimers promise regular surprises from charting software

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by oysterman23; 01-04-2018 at 08:42 PM.
post #27 of 46 Old 01-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterman23 View Post
I agree that Google Earth can be usefull as a navigational supplement but Ive been studying inlets along the south shore of Long Island and found the google sat photos (which are composite) are seldom fully up to date. There are days the images are composed of part near-time and part past days or month and the file numbers will not reflect that.
GE isn't the only satellite service, and it can be productive to look at others, like Bing, for the best and most up to date pictures.

But no satellite or chart survey is going to keep up in real time with constantly shifting stuff.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 46 Old 01-05-2018
Rainwatcher

That's why real sailors use NTMs.

post #29 of 46 Old 01-05-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Don't understand the advantage of Google Earth over proper navigation with a chart.
For somewhere like East Greenwich, RI, the docks are just inexact straight lines with no identification of the 4 or more individual shoreside facilities in a row there. Having an aerial photo really helps identifying the facility and dock you are to tie to.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #30 of 46 Old 01-05-2018 Thread Starter

Extra tools like GE may not be deemed 'proper' but they can be very helpful.
Proper....is navigating safely.
capta likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in