Chain locker tangles? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 01-14-2018
Sailor

Re: Chain locker tangles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I don't see much point in marking the 25' because who ever puts out less than 50'? After that, fair enough.
It's a 22 footer with 30 of chain a mark at 25' is 55' of rode he can probably anchor in 3' of water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 01-14-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

Post #6, Mike OReilly, gave you good advice. In fact, there is a lot of good advice in the responces.

You don't know your system yet, so go out and practice. Do it on a really calm day, in a location where you have plenty of room and won't get in anyone's way. You may find that your system needs Oh-My-God a lot of changes, but probably it will work just fine. Practice a bunch of times (like 5 or 10 times). Your boat is relatively small, and you won't have to work too hard (just kidding)! After doing it a few times, you'll probably realize the little "touches" that make your system work. If after 10 tries it's not working for you, then you need to try different ideas. Some of those ideas have been suggested here.

Read a few threads about how to anchor properly (scope, swing, backing-down, etc.) and take your time. Once you get the feel for it, anchoring really is fairly easy. I single-hand and anchor out quite a bit. Practice a bunch in calm conditions and you'll get more and more confident.

By the way, Yes!, mark your anchor chain and line. I have markings at 25' intervals. One of my favorite anchorages is about that depth. When I put 25' out, I start backing down so that the chain does not "pile" on the bottom. It lays out. It also helps to make a mark at 10'. I do this so that I can see when the anchor is comming to the surface.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-14-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
It's a 22 footer with 30 of chain a mark at 25' is 55' of rode he can probably anchor in 3' of water
I'm sorry, I don't understand; what's 55'? When would he not put at least the 30' of chain out? So he knows he's got 30' out instead of 25. Chain doesn't do much good in the chain locker.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #14 of 20 Old 01-14-2018 Thread Starter

Talking Re: Chain locker tangles?

Hi everyone:

Thanks for all the great information. Some further information about my gear. The line, chain and anchor are all brand new. Never been wet before. I am very cautious by nature and when I bed down for the night I don't want to worry. I will any ways, but less.. I have read all the books, but I have never read any comments about anchor rode tangles or lack there of when the rode is fed down into the chain locker. I guess my cautious nature guesses that when I feed 30 feet of heavy chain onto a constrained pile of nylon rode, a tangle is more than likely. To all the experienced anchor out sailors, is this true by your experiences? If it is, how often does a tangle happen? Twenty %, 50% or hopefully never. I talked to a friend who has sailed extensively and said that when he came in to anchor, the admiral would take the helm and he would go on the fordeck and pull out rode and flake it on deck. Said he never had a tangle. Is that the common experience or was he blessed?

Thank you all again for many, many good suggestions that I will put into use.

Also I bought a Galaxy tablet and down loaded the Drag Queen app so I will know when I am being swept onto the lee shore.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-15-2018
Old soul

dreamdoer, in general a tangled rode is not common. But it really depends on your chain locker, it’s shape and depth, and how the rode normally piles up. Under normal circumstances it will pile up as it goes in, and come out in reverse just as easily. The chain landing on rope shouldn’t increase the chance of a tangle.

The times I’ve run into problems is when my rode pile rolls over on top of itself, usually after I’ve hit heavy seas for a while. But my rode is all-chain.

I’d recommend feeding the new rode down the hawse pipe as you would normally do when storing it. Then try hauling it back out. If it comes out cleanly — especially if you do it a few times — then you’re probably fine.

You could haul a bunch out and flake it on deck as you prepare to anchor, but this presents a possible danger if it should get away from you. I’d rather get comfortable with it feeding in and out properly.

BTW, yes; mark your rode in some way. How you do it, including what gradients, is up to you. If you normally anchor in shallow waters, then a finer gradient is warranted. Doesn’t really matter, as long as you know what it is.

I personally mark every 10 feet in one colour, and every 50 feet in another. I mostly key in on the 50’ marks as I’m rolling it out, but sometimes I appreciate the finer detail. As with most things in cruising, there’s no 'single answer.’ Whatever works for you is the Right Answer.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
dreamdoer (01-15-2018)
post #16 of 20 Old 01-15-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you Mike and everyone else. I think I have the answers I was looking for, namely some practical EXPERIENCED advice. Thank you all for taking the time to share your real world experience and knowledge.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-15-2018
al brazzi

As Mike stated Flaking the line any line will keep it from tangling, whether in a bag or a locker. It's basic and is worth mentioning, know what it is and when to do it. Don't twist loop wrap or anything just let it ball up in a pile, it looks pretty scary sometimes but it will come right out when needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to albrazzi For This Useful Post:
dreamdoer (01-15-2018)
post #18 of 20 Old 01-15-2018
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Wear leather gardening gloves.

Flake the chain and rope rode on deck before you anchor.

Make REALLY SURE you have the bitter end tied on to something.

Back down to set your anchor. If it does not set reanchor and wait 20 minutes before trying to set it. I do not know why but this often works.

Back down gently at first then fairly hard. Better it drags now than at 3 am in a rain squall.
The Following User Says Thank You to TQA For This Useful Post:
dreamdoer (01-15-2018)
post #19 of 20 Old 01-15-2018

I'd be more worried about stacking line on deck than leaving it in the chain locker till needed. Have almost universally had line tie itself in a knot or hockle when I've piled it up. Would pull the line out of the chain locker and restow it so you'll have some idea if it will run smoothly. Haven't had issues with the line in the chainlocker but I'm using 8 plait which doesn't have the twist and hockle issues of 3 strand. Do not twist the line as you restow, in fact you might pull all the rode and be sure that it's not twisted. That seems to be the biggest cause of issues with line tangling.
MikeOReilly likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to roverhi For This Useful Post:
dreamdoer (01-15-2018)
post #20 of 20 Old 01-15-2018

Dream, i currently have a mixed chain/rope rode. I do occasionally get a tangle in the line but i dont think it should be much of an issue with chain. Either way, its not something i would stress about.

You have a small boat, so you can be really selective about where you anchor. Hopefully you can find a sheltered little bay or creek to anchor in. I cant think of any reason you would want to anchor a boat of that size in more than 10 feet of water.

So, you find your little nook, ideally divoid of most wind and current. You go up to your foredeck, and you drop your 30 feet of chain out. You now have 3:1 scope out which should hold your boat firmly in place which will give you pleanty of time to clear any snags that may or may not occur. There is real safety value to anchoring small boats in shallow coves, basically, if a big boat cant get there, then it cant run into you in the middle of the night.

Another trick you may want to try is, while you are still in open water, go grab your anchor and carry it back to the cockpit, running the rode outside the shrouds and life lines. That way when you reach your destination you can drop your anchor from the cockpit where your tiller and engine controls are. This may or may not work depending on your set up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
dreamdoer (01-15-2018)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in