SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Chain locker tangles? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/308162-chain-locker-tangles.html)

dreamdoer 01-14-2018 12:42 PM

Chain locker tangles?

Hello:

I will embark on my first overnight cruise this year and will be anchoring out overnight for the first time, probably single handedly. I am confident in my ground tackle, but my question is; how concerned should I be about tangles in the rode. I have never anchored using a chain locker and chain pipe. I have a fear of coming in to anchor and being on deck ready to drop when the anchor rode seizes up due to a tangle getting caught in the chain pipe. Am I worrying for nothing or should I pay out the rode before I get in position and coil it on deck? I have a 22 foot boat with 30 feet of chain and 250 feet of nylon triple strand.

Thanks for all advice.

Gladrags1 01-14-2018 12:47 PM

Re: Chain locker tangles?

Do you have access to your anchor locker from above? Most snags occur when you are trying to store everything below after picking up the hook.

Might be good to do it at the dock as a dry run first to see what is characteristics would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreamdoer 01-14-2018 12:51 PM

Hi Glad:

I basically don't have deck access. I could lay on the deck and reach through the forward hatch, but probably not far enough to do any good.

Thanks for the reply!

RegisteredUser 01-14-2018 01:36 PM

If you are using rope to chain, use 8-plait rather than 3-strand or double braid.

Barquito 01-14-2018 02:41 PM

As said, you could pull some out before you leave for the day. Make sure is comes out OK, then put it back. Or, just before you arrive at the anchorage, pull out enough to put you at at least 3:1, and flake it on deck. That is, lay it down on deck in an orderly fashion such that the anchor end of the rode is on top. If it jams after you get that much out, you will probably have plenty of time to figure it out.

MikeOReilly 01-14-2018 03:07 PM

If you’ve never hauled out the rode before (new boat?), then I’d do so in a stable place first before putting it to the real test in an actual anchoring situation — especially if you’re soloing. Rode can certainly become entangled or twisted such that it gets jammed coming out of the hawse pipe. It has happened to me many times, and I anchor very often.

I’d haul it all out (or as much as you can), and then feed it back down in a controlled manner.

That said, the forces you’re dealing with are pretty small (small boat, small rode). It’s unlikely you’d lose control of things unless you’re trying to anchor in very difficult situations.

capta 01-14-2018 03:08 PM

If I had that worry, when I went to set up the anchor for anchoring (unsecure it from it's sailing position and hang it partially over the roller), I'd pull out at least 5 times the water depth I expect to be anchoring in and coil it on the deck where it cannot get caught up on something. The bigger the loops of the coil, the less chance that it will foul when running out. If you really want to get 'salty' you could learn to do a running coil and you would never have to worry about your coiled lines fouling ever again.

Jim_W 01-14-2018 07:08 PM

When you pull it out mark it at different lengths so you know how much rode you have out. I mark mine every 25'.

capta 01-14-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_W (Post 2051346690)
When you pull it out mark it at different lengths so you know how much rode you have out. I mark mine every 25'.

I don't see much point in marking the 25' because who ever puts out less than 50'? After that, fair enough.

reduc 01-14-2018 08:23 PM

Unless your anchor locker is a complete mess I don't think you need to coil it on deck. If you've never anchored at all (as opposed to overnight) you may want to take it out and make sure there is nothing crazy going on. As others have mentioned, having length markers is very helpful for determining proper scope. If you are anchoring in an area with reversing currents or wind you may want an anchor kellet - basically a light weight on the rode that will hold it below the keel such that if the current or wind reverses the rode doesn't float up and get behind the keel or rudder. I use a small mushroom dinghy anchor (~10 lbs) where the ring goes over the rode and a small line is tied through one of the holes is the mushroom to allow it to drift down lower than the keel. I'm not sure how many people do this, but having wrapped my keel on one occasion I never want to do it again.