Chain locker tangles? - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-14-2018 Thread Starter

Chain locker tangles?

Hello:

I will embark on my first overnight cruise this year and will be anchoring out overnight for the first time, probably single handedly. I am confident in my ground tackle, but my question is; how concerned should I be about tangles in the rode. I have never anchored using a chain locker and chain pipe. I have a fear of coming in to anchor and being on deck ready to drop when the anchor rode seizes up due to a tangle getting caught in the chain pipe. Am I worrying for nothing or should I pay out the rode before I get in position and coil it on deck? I have a 22 foot boat with 30 feet of chain and 250 feet of nylon triple strand.

Thanks for all advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-14-2018
Sailor

Re: Chain locker tangles?

Do you have access to your anchor locker from above? Most snags occur when you are trying to store everything below after picking up the hook.

Might be good to do it at the dock as a dry run first to see what is characteristics would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-14-2018 Thread Starter

Hi Glad:

I basically don't have deck access. I could lay on the deck and reach through the forward hatch, but probably not far enough to do any good.

Thanks for the reply!

post #4 of 20 Old 01-14-2018

If you are using rope to chain, use 8-plait rather than 3-strand or double braid.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-14-2018
Barquito

As said, you could pull some out before you leave for the day. Make sure is comes out OK, then put it back. Or, just before you arrive at the anchorage, pull out enough to put you at at least 3:1, and flake it on deck. That is, lay it down on deck in an orderly fashion such that the anchor end of the rode is on top. If it jams after you get that much out, you will probably have plenty of time to figure it out.

Valiant 32
post #6 of 20 Old 01-14-2018
Old soul

If you’ve never hauled out the rode before (new boat?), then I’d do so in a stable place first before putting it to the real test in an actual anchoring situation — especially if you’re soloing. Rode can certainly become entangled or twisted such that it gets jammed coming out of the hawse pipe. It has happened to me many times, and I anchor very often.

I’d haul it all out (or as much as you can), and then feed it back down in a controlled manner.

That said, the forces you’re dealing with are pretty small (small boat, small rode). It’s unlikely you’d lose control of things unless you’re trying to anchor in very difficult situations.
Scotty C-M likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 01-14-2018 at 03:11 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-14-2018
Master Mariner

If I had that worry, when I went to set up the anchor for anchoring (unsecure it from it's sailing position and hang it partially over the roller), I'd pull out at least 5 times the water depth I expect to be anchoring in and coil it on the deck where it cannot get caught up on something. The bigger the loops of the coil, the less chance that it will foul when running out. If you really want to get 'salty' you could learn to do a running coil and you would never have to worry about your coiled lines fouling ever again.
RegisteredUser likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 20 Old 01-14-2018
Sailor

When you pull it out mark it at different lengths so you know how much rode you have out. I mark mine every 25'.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-14-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
When you pull it out mark it at different lengths so you know how much rode you have out. I mark mine every 25'.
I don't see much point in marking the 25' because who ever puts out less than 50'? After that, fair enough.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 20 Old 01-14-2018

Location: On my boat, currently moving around the east coast US

Unless your anchor locker is a complete mess I don't think you need to coil it on deck. If you've never anchored at all (as opposed to overnight) you may want to take it out and make sure there is nothing crazy going on. As others have mentioned, having length markers is very helpful for determining proper scope. If you are anchoring in an area with reversing currents or wind you may want an anchor kellet - basically a light weight on the rode that will hold it below the keel such that if the current or wind reverses the rode doesn't float up and get behind the keel or rudder. I use a small mushroom dinghy anchor (~10 lbs) where the ring goes over the rode and a small line is tied through one of the holes is the mushroom to allow it to drift down lower than the keel. I'm not sure how many people do this, but having wrapped my keel on one occasion I never want to do it again.

Jeff
Cruising on my CS36T

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in