Insect Infestation - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 Old 02-10-2018
Master Mariner

Re: Insect Infestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1711 View Post
Boric acid creates gas in the digestive system of roaches that they can't expel, the way we can (ahem).

When they crawl through it, they clean it off of themselves, go back to the nest and essentially explode and are eaten by other roaches. The process repeats. They need fresh water to survive, so spread the stuff where they can access it.

Really bad news: Cockroaches love beer. Be liberal with the Boric Acid.
OK then. Ain't life great; we learn something every day.
I guess the point is that Boric acid isn't toxic to humans or pets and it works.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 Old 02-12-2018

Dry ice will also kill roaches in sealed containers like ziplocks, or even sealed lockers , as itís frozen CO2 and they suffocate. Takes waiting, and not always available, though....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #23 of 32 Old 02-15-2018
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

never forget that cucaroches FLY!!!!
doesnot matter how clean your boat is you can still suffer them
iguanas eat fruit. good critters ..donot allow em to bite, that sucks and i understand is painful.
constrictors also come onto boat, especially after a flooding of their homes. fun stuff. and koatamundi.
ratys also love our lifestyles and are the 7th plague.
and so we are back to cats.. hahahahaha indoors keep the bad guys out and wild cats in colonies keep the outdoor rats bearing diseases at bay. so we again back to shipboard cats.
just keep the cats away from the gekkos......my life is good. i finding baby gekkos all over boat. woohoooo.

off track a tad, as i was only gonna say mexicans mix boric acid with lechera, nestles sweetened condensed milk mexicans love in their coffee ......make a cookie and put those around where nothing else can get to it. boric acid is not harmful but itis also not harmless.
donot spread misinformation. itis harmful to pets children and adult humans.
boric acid can still be very dangerous to humans, animals, and children. It may requires a lot of it for a lethal dose, but there are also several side effects of exposure to boric acid. Many of the insecticides that contain boric acid will contain a sweetener, such as sugar, to attract insects.Aug 30, 2009

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #24 of 32 Old 02-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, having a gecko on board is a very positive thing. Two are better, because one always seems to eventually get itself into a bad place - we closed a hatch once to find a squashed gecko the next time we opened it.

Some bugs you just live with. We always seem to have these extremely small mites or similar. Nothing gets rid of them; on the other hand, we only notice them rarely. They seem to like books.

Things that grow in rice, noodles, and flour are tough. There are ways to kill them, and then try to seal them up well, but every so often we just toss some of it and buy more.

Knock on wood, we have not had a cockroach infestation. I have a couple of times found a single dead cockroach, and have had random individuals fly on the boat, which I immediately kill, but no communities of live ones.

We grow some plants on board and they alway get small bugs that stay on the plants, but our gecko always keeps them tidy for us. Geckos seem to love spiders because we never have them when we have a gecko, but we get them everywhere when we do not have a gecko.

So the moral of the story is do everything you can to invite a gecko or two on board. Right now, we only have a single 1" one. Hopefully he will grow into an eating machine, and maybe we can get another soon.

Mark
I like the gecko idea although spiders may also be useful for killing other insects, geckos (in Mexico anyway) are notorious for killing mosquitos...and some people actually encourage them in their patios explicitly for that purpose.

I had a few questions for you though... Do geckos require any upkeep, i.e. separate food, water bowl, etc? How do you obtain one? Can they be found in certain pet stores? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #25 of 32 Old 02-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeqness View Post
....I had a few questions for you though... Do geckos require any upkeep, i.e. separate food, water bowl, etc? How do you obtain one? Can they be found in certain pet stores? .....
I thought you were going to ask what happens to months/years of gecko turds.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 32 Old 02-21-2018

A pesticide called Demon also works very well against Roaches/Palmetto Bugs and for a long time and it does not leave a white residue behind.

Hanging an old sock or two with a new bar of Irish Spring in it can also help keep a boat free of insects especially Mud Daubers and may also keep thieves and many others out of the boat too. Maybe even that annoying brother-in..... ;>
post #27 of 32 Old 02-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeqness View Post
I like the gecko idea although spiders may also be useful for killing other insects, geckos (in Mexico anyway) are notorious for killing mosquitos...and some people actually encourage them in their patios explicitly for that purpose.

I had a few questions for you though... Do geckos require any upkeep, i.e. separate food, water bowl, etc? How do you obtain one? Can they be found in certain pet stores? Thanks in advance.

Sadly, our gecko died the other day.

Yes, spiders do eat insects, but the create a terrible mess that is difficult to clean. The gecko always poops in the same area, and it is easy to clean up (just brush it away).

As for upkeep - I don't know. We have never done anything for them. There is probably always fresh water around from the stern shower, washing down the deck, rain, dew, etc. I assume they get their own food from bugs and whatever crumbs they find after happy hour snacks. Every one we have obtained was gotten simply by being in a marina or yard for a day or so. Seems like every time we haul out for a bottom job, we go back in with a couple of geckos on board.

No plans for a haul out any time soon, so we might be gecko-less for a while.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #28 of 32 Old 02-21-2018

Took to spraying my dock lines with insecticide if I was going to be tied up for more than a few minutes. Believe it makes a big difference.
Donít like bombing the boat. Believe the residue canít be good for you.
Flies are a pia. Havenít found anything that works better than those supersticky small rolls of fly paper. Hate bumping into to them. Anybody have anything better.
A bit of beer inside a glass bowl coated with joy on the inside in the sink over night kills the roachs. They drink it and canít get out. Also works some for flying bugs.
The boric acid remains the stand by.
Wasp spray to the face works to chase any four legged creatures off the boat if your aim is good.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #29 of 32 Old 02-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I thought you were going to ask what happens to months/years of gecko turds.
Lol.

But now that I think about it...I've been considering growing some plants onboard, so maybe it could be used as some homegrown fertilizer? Hmmm...

post #30 of 32 Old 02-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Sadly, our gecko died the other day.

Yes, spiders do eat insects, but the create a terrible mess that is difficult to clean. The gecko always poops in the same area, and it is easy to clean up (just brush it away).

As for upkeep - I don't know. We have never done anything for them. There is probably always fresh water around from the stern shower, washing down the deck, rain, dew, etc. I assume they get their own food from bugs and whatever crumbs they find after happy hour snacks. Every one we have obtained was gotten simply by being in a marina or yard for a day or so. Seems like every time we haul out for a bottom job, we go back in with a couple of geckos on board.

No plans for a haul out any time soon, so we might be gecko-less for a while.

Mark
Aww that is sad. Wonder what could have been the cause...

Good to know they don't require much maintenance. I may have to look more into this option.

Arachnaphobics Alert!
For spiders, I think it depends which type you have. Different spiders make different sized "messes". In Mexico, I've noticed that Daddy Long Leg type seem to be preferred since not only do they kill flies and most other flying insects but also other spiders including some of the poisonous types (like Black Widows). They kill ants and roaches too(except the very big ones), but they won't be able to keep up with their reproductive rate. This is just FYI for those who might be interested...spiders anyone?

But my goal isn't really to use spiders for this. I don't have any and I don't plan to try to get any but I do like the gecko idea. I've seen them in action in Mexico and they are quite good at staying out of the way as they go about their business. You may start thinking that they aren't doing anything until you realize that you aren't getting bit by mosquitoes so much anymore. They climb along walls and ceilings but usually move really slow, so as long as this doesn't freak you out seeing them sitting still here or there, they seem like an easy option.

Last edited by neeqness; 02-22-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in