Insect Infestation - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-04-2018 Thread Starter

Insect Infestation

We are very careful with cleanliness and keep cardboard, a source of cockroach eggs off the boat but recently we have had an infestation of very small, 1-2 mm, bugs.

Over the last week we have noticed a marked reduction in the bug count and yesterday we discovered the cause...

We have acquired a small pet gecko! if we develop an infestation of cockroaches we may need to acquire an iguana!

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-04-2018

Re: Insect Infestation

I'm very anti bug too.
Along with spray, some traps, I also carry a few foggers.
Set one or two off, close off below, spend 8-12 hrs on deck....should be good.
post #3 of 32 Old 02-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I'm very anti bug too.
Along with spray, some traps, I also carry a few foggers.
Set one or two off, close off below, spend 8-12 hrs on deck....should be good.
I would prefer the gecko
JimMcGee, aeventyr60 and Towguy like this.

post #4 of 32 Old 02-04-2018
Master Mariner

Boric acid powder is a sure fire way to rid a boat of roaches, and keep it so, but it takes months. Be patient. And remember, many roach species can fly, so you are always at risk of an infestation. Ants are also a problem if you buy fruit from anywhere other than a supermarket, sealed in plastic.
I searched and searched to find out if it was toxic to our Mourning Gecko, Hiccup, but could not find a definitive answer. However, Hiccup has been aboard since October and we had the boric acid around way before that and she seems fine.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 32 Old 02-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
We are very careful with cleanliness and keep cardboard, a source of cockroach eggs off the boat but recently we have had an infestation of very small, 1-2 mm, bugs.......
To really get the job done, you need to rinse everything, before it comes aboard, in a dilute bleach bath, even fruit, and remove all can labels too. Freezing any dry good overnight will kill bugs that are most certainly in there too (ie flour, rice, beans, etc). You probably know all this. Bug are frustrating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-05-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
To really get the job done, you need to rinse everything, before it comes aboard, in a dilute bleach bath, even fruit, and remove all can labels too. Freezing any dry good overnight will kill bugs that are most certainly in there too (ie flour, rice, beans, etc). You probably know all this. Bug are frustrating.
If cockroaches will survive a nuclear holocaust, what makes you think freezing will do anything to them? lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 32 Old 02-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
If cockroaches will survive a nuclear holocaust, what makes you think freezing will do anything to them? lol
For one, you’re not just trying to kill roaches.

Secondly, I’m pretty sure that freezing will kill both a live cockroach and it’s eggs, but I may have to take back my reference to overnight. Could take cold a bit longer.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-05-2018

Yes, having a gecko on board is a very positive thing. Two are better, because one always seems to eventually get itself into a bad place - we closed a hatch once to find a squashed gecko the next time we opened it.

Some bugs you just live with. We always seem to have these extremely small mites or similar. Nothing gets rid of them; on the other hand, we only notice them rarely. They seem to like books.

Things that grow in rice, noodles, and flour are tough. There are ways to kill them, and then try to seal them up well, but every so often we just toss some of it and buy more.

Knock on wood, we have not had a cockroach infestation. I have a couple of times found a single dead cockroach, and have had random individuals fly on the boat, which I immediately kill, but no communities of live ones.

We grow some plants on board and they alway get small bugs that stay on the plants, but our gecko always keeps them tidy for us. Geckos seem to love spiders because we never have them when we have a gecko, but we get them everywhere when we do not have a gecko.

So the moral of the story is do everything you can to invite a gecko or two on board. Right now, we only have a single 1" one. Hopefully he will grow into an eating machine, and maybe we can get another soon.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #9 of 32 Old 02-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
If cockroaches will survive a nuclear holocaust
I'm not aware of that supposition being put to a test, but maybe soon...

Mark
capta likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #10 of 32 Old 02-05-2018

I've read that bay leafs keep buggies away from dry foods, but have no personal experience with this.
I'm very familiar with sugar ants.
Maybe ziplock your daily-use container with a bay leaf...?

I know you can bomb/fog sugar ants away.

Geckos are your buddies for sure.
One website about geckos as pets said they like music...
Does your local West Marine stock geckos?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in