SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Marina Internet (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/312250-marina-internet.html)

VictorGale 02-15-2018 05:57 PM

Marina Internet

Hi Everyone!

Just curious. How do you guys deal with poor marina WIFI? Does anyone use a wireless set up for their laptop? If so, do you have a service to recommend? Hope everyone is enjoying this weather!

-Victor

RegisteredUser 02-15-2018 06:07 PM

Re: Marina Internet

Look into wifi boosters.
This is only one of the systems available...
Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC

kd3pc 02-15-2018 06:55 PM

home brew one with a Ubiquiti bullet or similar. Seldom do marinas have adequate internet..

dbrimm 02-15-2018 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We're using a (Ubiquiti based) system from Bitstorm out of Canada. It probably cost twice what it would have for me to build the same system myself with the same stock Ubiquiti parts but paying that premium gets you the super simplified web interface to control the equipment with, plus tech support (if you need it) all in a plug-and-play package.

We're using the Xtreme MJ outdoor system mounted on our arch for connecting to wifi hotspots and then we run that output into the boat and into their Unleashed N to broadcast our own local boat wifi network so we can share the connection with any devices we want.

The above lets us connect to hotspots from fairly far out in various anchorages, I think right now we're about a mile from the one we're using. Not bad considering it's from a waterfront hotel restaurant and not a system that was meant to cover the anchorage.

No affiliation or anything just a satisfied customer.

Bitstorm Online

john61ct 02-16-2018 11:04 AM

And good cellular data plans, multiple providers when things get sparse. Which ones depends on location.

For the US, Verizon or ATT for max coverage but pricier for lots of GB per month.

T-Mobile or maybe Sprint for cheap bulk cost, but less coverage.

zeehag 02-16-2018 11:05 AM

booster antenna makes it connect when the signals are too weak to manage that connection. distance from adaptor can be about half mile, too far for intrinsic adaptor in puter. enjoy. welcome to the real world of no connections.
i found a tp link top of line model works well for my needs, and costs under 150 usd. works as wellas can be expected with the interrupticus generated by the service provider, in our case, megacable coupled with mikrotik.

Don0190 02-16-2018 01:36 PM

The problem isnít really that marinas have poor WiFi. What they have is poor internet service connected to it. Joe and Iím coming to believe the real answer it an unlimited cell phone plan. We watch video etc using our WiFi booster system when it works, but it doesnít we either use cell phone to make a hot spot of to play the video etc on our hone and cast it to our tv.

Minnewaska 02-16-2018 01:37 PM

I find it's not a reception problem, it's a bandwidth problem. At the height of the season, the marina wifi is useless. It's painfully slow, stops and starts, kicks you off or won't connect, etc. There are probably dozens of people (hundreds maybe) all connected and trying to get data at once. Some are streaming video and really screwing the rest. I never have issues with the marina's wifi in the shoulder seasons, so I'm convinced this is the problem.

Yes, one day, marinas are going to need to suck it up and increase bandwidth. It's table stakes now.

When it's a problem, I use my smartphone as a 4G hotspot and link to it. I totally avoid videos, when on limited cell data plans. Otherwise, I feel no restriction.

dbrimm 02-16-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john61ct (Post 2051390826)
And good cellular data plans, multiple providers when things get sparse. Which ones depends on location.

For the US, Verizon or ATT for max coverage but pricier for lots of GB per month.

T-Mobile or maybe Sprint for cheap bulk cost, but less coverage.

We've been encountering a lot of cruisers and expats here in Mexico that are using phones and service from Google Fi to good effect. I think next time we're in the states we'll be picking one up too. Between the free roaming in 130+ countries, the capped price and large amount of data you're allowed it's hard to pass up. I don't like the idea of having to buy a flagship android phone but still...

https://fi.google.com/about/

john61ct 02-16-2018 01:46 PM

Yes in fact I use Fi on a Nexus 6 as my usual Android phone.

Switches between T-Mobile or Sprint, depending which has better LTE signal.

So not the same geographic reach as Verizon or ATT.

And at $8/GB incremental data cost, not cost-effective for streaming entertainment, we go through 100+GB / mo with kids along.