Cannabis use on board - Page 19 - SailNet Community
 230Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 405 Old 03-02-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Re: Cannabis use on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
...I find people who are high very annoying, obnoxious... But getting a buzz is why people drink and smoke pot. DO it at home please... don't drive... don't operate planes and boats and so forth. Seems simple... but stoned people lose the ability to think clearly and don't realize it.
For all my talk, I donít have much experience using cannabis, or even being around people who do. Sure, as a teen I used to smoke pot and hash, as did my friends. Iím sure we were obnoxious at times ó we were teenagers after all .

Since then Iíve been around pot smokers perhaps a couple dozen times in 35 years. These would be in social circumstances, mostly with people I call friend, or at least good acquaintances. I canít think of a single such occasion where I found any of these pot users to be annoying or obnoxious. If I did, then they would quickly cease being my friends.

The same goes with drinking. I enjoy raising a glass with friends, but my friends are not annoying or obnoxious when drinking. Again, if they were, they would cease to be friends. Life is too short to hang around with a-holes.

I think itís perfectly possible to enjoy a beer or a joint socially, without becoming a jerk. If you canít, then you shouldnít use the stuff.
SanderO and Vagab0nd like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 405 Old 03-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
It’s clear, though, that some segments of our societies know exactly what the collective costs are — and they are very happy about it. Criminals and organized crime...
Yes. I was about 16 the first time I saw the movie "Key Largo," starring Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, and Edward G Robinson. The movie -- for those sad, unfortunate souls who have never seen it -- is set shortly after the end of prohibition and is about a group of gangsters who take over a hotel in Key Largo, just as a hurricane is approaching. In one scene the gangsters are talking and they start saying things like, "Soon we'll have prohibition back, and this time we'll make it stick. Yeah. Those no-good busybodies ruined it all when they repealed prohibition. We won't let them do that to us again."

As a naive 16-year-old I thought to myself, "Wait! That's not right! They have it backwards. The bootleggers would WANT prohibition repealed. Wouldn't they?"

And then it hit me. Of course not! They were making a fortune so long as alcohol was illegal. Making it legal again destroyed their business. If they got the chance, OF COURSE they would try to bring back prohibition and this time "make it stick."

It was a real "AHA!" moment for me at that young point in my life.
MikeOReilly, CVAT and Sal Paradise like this.
post #183 of 405 Old 03-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post

I think itís perfectly possible to enjoy a beer or a joint socially, without becoming a jerk. If you canít, then you shouldnít use the stuff.
Fine... I only drink a beer with some meals... and maybe on a very hot day... to quench my thirst. I realize people eat and drink with friends as something to do aside from chat or whatever. Nothing wrong with this.... Italians go to the coffee bar... many Americans now go to Starbucks... some go to the corner Bar...

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #184 of 405 Old 03-02-2018

Up tight is...up tight.
Vivid can be fun and very interesting.
Over the fence is...too far.

Pick your time and place.
post #185 of 405 Old 03-02-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Fine... I only drink a beer with some meals... and maybe on a very hot day... to quench my thirst. I realize people eat and drink with friends as something to do aside from chat or whatever. Nothing wrong with this.... Italians go to the coffee bar... many Americans now go to Starbucks... some go to the corner Bar...
Maybe itís the Irish in me Ö I prefer a nice quiet pub.

BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #186 of 405 Old 03-02-2018
Rainwatcher

Uhm... I've never seen a nice, quiet Irish pub.
aeventyr60 and wymbly1971 like this.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.
post #187 of 405 Old 03-02-2018

You fanboys cannot use the argument that restrictive pot laws are the same as Prohibition. Pot does not have, and never has had, a public market with licensed establishments purveying a majority of the public. Big difference...

If Sal's claim of milk being a gateway product and you are still not laughing then why aren't all of us addicted to drugs, alcohol, or narcotics? Try to at least be logical and not a complete non-sequitorial buffoon if you prefer to have a bit of credibility. You can enjoy unhealthy things, as I also do, but try not to rationalize your weakness to justify it.
post #188 of 405 Old 03-02-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Uhm... I've never seen a nice, quiet Irish pub.
Youíve probably never been to real pub then. Not the basterdized ďIrish pubĒ found in too many places in North America. Not a ďbar.Ē Iím taking a real community pub. You know Ö one where everyone knows your name .

One with lots of dingy old-wood booths, counters and stools, real pumps, friendly local folk, and no music or TV blaring from the speakers. Itís a place you can sit and have a pint in peace. Read a book, or chat with your pals. Thatís a real pub.

BLOG:

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 03-02-2018 at 09:56 PM.
post #189 of 405 Old 03-02-2018
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze View Post
Pot does not have, and never has had, a public market with licensed establishments purveying a majority of the public. Big difference...
Yeah except for

Is There A Limit To Colorado?s Dispensary Market? - Marijuana Retail Report
MikeOReilly and aeventyr60 like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 03-02-2018 at 10:23 PM.
post #190 of 405 Old 03-03-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

FunÖ thanks Sebastian

One of my favourite druggie songs is Captain Jack by Billy Joel. Of course, it could easily apply to cannabis as well as booze: Captain Jack (Daniels). I especially like the version on one of his live albums where, in the penultimate chorus, he inserts ďCaptain Jack can make you DIE tonightÖĒ

A good warning, especially for those considering boating while impaired: DONíT!
mbianka likes this.

BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in