Cannabis use on board - Page 31 - SailNet Community
 230Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 405 Old 04-27-2018
The bow is the pointy end

Re: Cannabis use on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

how do you know if we aren't just on the foothills of the golden age?

I am not disagreeing... because maybe when the federal government accepts legal cannabis (you know so they can tax the hell out of it) it might really drive everything whacky (as in tobacky)
We may very well be on the foothills of the golden age...I hope we are.
Sal Paradise and titustiger27 like this.

svartemis.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 405 Old 05-11-2018

This really is one of those topics where as im sure there is a large majority of people not speaking up about pot because of the stigma so many people have against it and ergo, them.
post #303 of 405 Old 05-11-2018

Actually, the majority may well disapprove, but realize they'd be on the losing side of history trying to resist.

post #304 of 405 Old 05-11-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitoo1 View Post
This really is one of those topics where as im sure there is a large majority of people not speaking up about pot because of the stigma so many people have against it and ergo, them.
Yes, although I bet that is highly specific to the region, culture and nation. Since an increasing number of nations and regions are moving towards at least decriminalization, in not complete legalization, the numbers of people who need to hide in the dark are dwindling fast.

Its an obvious comparison, but there was a time when alcohol was stigmatized quite intentionally, just like cannabis. I think many countries and many regions no longer have to worry about the stigma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Actually, the majority may well disapprove, but realize they'd be on the losing side of history trying to resist.
I really think you have to localize the question. There may be a majority in some regions or countries who disapprove. But Im sure there are others where the numbers go the other way. Id be wiling to bet the largest demographic is in the: I dont really give a darn"

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #305 of 405 Old 05-11-2018

I haven't heard much about this recently, but the USCG had a "Zero Tolerance" policy and, presumably, still does. Under this policy, they would seize vessels that had any amount of illegal drugs aboard, regardless of who owned those drugs. So if you had a guest or crew member aboard who possessed a half-ounce of pot, and the Coast Guard discovered this during a routine boarding, you could lose your boat. And, as mentioned above, law enforcement has the right to search your vessel.

This made a lot of news back in the 1980s. I haven't heard much about it recently. Perhaps someone here knows more about recent USCG enforcement policy on this matter.

Another thing to keep in mind is that any mariner holding credentials from the USCG is subject to drug testing. Having THC in your system (i.e., marijuana) would lead to the suspension of your OUPV/master's license.
post #306 of 405 Old 05-11-2018

Oh yes at the federal level, LEO in many blue state jurisdictions still seizing assets and tossing people in jail. Mostly brown and poor people of course.

Corporate Amerika and gov employers are very big on testing, to the point it really makes it hard to attract the best and brightest. Border Patrol especially!

And Sessions would love to see history pushed back in that regard, but that lot won't be in power long enough. . .
titustiger27 likes this.
post #307 of 405 Old 05-11-2018
Tartan 27' owner

Ok, so you don't bring along a half ounce of weed on your nice friends boat. You bring along 1 (or two) joints already twisted which can be eaten or pitched if not smoked before the CG boards you.
Never been boarded, always been cautious.
I'm not really keen on navigating while high. In sight of our anchorage for the night though I am game.
Ask me out on your boat.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #308 of 405 Old 05-11-2018
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitoo1 View Post

this is a wonderfully perfect take on this.

but you could say the same for sex... so many people are against it, but because of the sigma, no one wants to admit it

or alcohol...

or gambling

but that would also go against people not speaking up because they see the research of how many people actually partake in the practice of sex .. I mean marijuana https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ed-pot-n747476 or https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f6ef1ce40836

I think it is sort of like homosexuality.... even if you think being gay is wrong, you don't see any problem with it.... I dare say you ... or very few people have thought their life has been hurt by people who smoke pot.

and to the contrary, people who see their state profit from the sale of pot are not complaining.

My guess, only a guess, states who legalize marijuana are better off than states that have legalized gambling.

Vector X Y
post #309 of 405 Old 05-11-2018
arrgh!

Dock

I think one of the problems with marijuana use is --> the federal government.

I don't know how much I would partake at $300, but as long as all the states have different laws... the popularity will be skewed. My employment doesn't do drug testing, still, I would never go to Colorado and smoke, where it is legal because it is still illegal in NYS...

If the Federal government backed off or legalized it, and it was legal in my state.. instead of a couple gin and tonics, I might have taken a couple hits tonight.

Vector X Y
post #310 of 405 Old 05-12-2018

Anything in life is risk vs reward.... Risk of being boarded by drug-sniffing dogs at night during a surprise drug raid on a 35 foot sailboat going 4 knots. VS the adult use of a substance that causes us to relax and enjoy for a max of a hour or so, which smell dissipates quite fast in the open ocean and can be hidden in air tight containers the size of a pill bottle....

Have you guys looked at what could happen even by getting pulled over with it in your car? car could be taken, house could be searched, jailed, money lost, reputation. YET... millions upon millions are doing it right now :P and every day. The risk is small, yet the life long reward be great matey....

I see too many people who are either older or just set in their ways of thinking its the devils cabbage, and people who use are totally irresponsible. I wish I could somehow know how many small sailboats have been boarded by drug sniffing dogs in the past year who found their hidden airtight stash in some small bilge hose...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in