Cannabis use on board - Page 38 - SailNet Community
 230Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #371 of 405 Old 09-07-2018
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,510
Thanks: 22
Thanked 142 Times in 137 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Cannabis use on board

I have no interest in smoking weed and have nothing against those who do. However ...... my home slip is about 150' from the spit in a public park that is a favourite local hangout. It's a low key, no problem kind of place except that it has become a preferred spot for weed smokers in the evening.

The stench of burning skunk that invades my home (boat) every night is sickening and I am plotting a deterrent that I think will be effective. I'll keep that part secret for now.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #372 of 405 Old 09-07-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul
 
MikeOReilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 3,847
Thanks: 246
Thanked 188 Times in 176 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Cannabis use on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
...The stench of burning skunk that invades my home (boat) every night is sickening and I am plotting a deterrent that I think will be effective. I'll keep that part secret for now.
Iíll be interested to hear your plan. Personally, I find tobacco smoke more offensive than weed. But I really donít like any smoke ó the stink lingers in any upholstery, and beside, it messes with my lungs.

BTW, Iíve had friends who smoke cannabis. I ask them to toke only outside, in the cockpit, or preferably at the bow.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeOReilly is online now  
post #373 of 405 Old 09-07-2018
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,510
Thanks: 22
Thanked 142 Times in 137 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Cannabis use on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Iíll be interested to hear your plan. Personally, I find tobacco smoke more offensive than weed. But I really donít like any smoke ó the stink lingers in any upholstery, and beside, it messes with my lungs.

BTW, Iíve had friends who smoke cannabis. I ask them to toke only outside, in the cockpit, or preferably at the bow.
I don't like tobacco smell either but don't find it covers the area the way weed does. I spent a day sitting on a beach with pot smoking friends, the next day, 24hrs. later, I met some other friends and their first words were ... Have you been smoking pot?

I am offended that people can send that stench into my home. Can't wait to see what happens in apartment and condo buildings.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is online now  
 
post #374 of 405 Old 09-07-2018
Senior Member
 
caberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 972
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Cannabis use on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The stench of burning skunk that invades my home (boat) every night is sickening and I am plotting a deterrent that I think will be effective. I'll keep that part secret for now.
Sounds like you have something vengeful in mind. Why not first trying to go talk to the people and let them know that the smoke and smell is impacting you? Who knows, you may be surprised with a polite and courteous response, and maybe make a few new friendly acquaintances.

I see bitter and vengeful people every day in my line of work and think that it must be a really difficult way to live a life. I think so many people could be surprised at how much easier interactions with others can be if people just talk to one another and exhibit some reasonableness.
MikeOReilly and longjonsilver like this.
caberg is online now  
post #375 of 405 Old 09-07-2018
Senior Member
 
caberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 972
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Cannabis use on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I don't like tobacco smell either but don't find it covers the area the way weed does. I spent a day sitting on a beach with pot smoking friends, the next day, 24hrs. later, I met some other friends and their first words were ... Have you been smoking pot?
I do find this very hard to believe unless your buddies were blowing smoke all day directly into your clothing. I've been smoking pot for many years and in many different environments and situations, and this just is not a thing I could ever imagine being true.

Cigarette smoke lingers way more on clothing and in furniture than pot smoke, although it is true that pot smoke has a sharper and stronger odor in the minutes after it is burned.
caberg is online now  
post #376 of 405 Old 09-07-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul
 
MikeOReilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 3,847
Thanks: 246
Thanked 188 Times in 176 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Cannabis use on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
...Cigarette smoke lingers way more on clothing and in furniture than pot smoke, although it is true that pot smoke has a sharper and stronger odor in the minutes after it is burned.
Personally, I find it way easier to smell a heavy tobacco smoker vs a heavy weed smoker. And itís far more offensive to my nose. But personally, I donít like either in my boat.

I donít mind the vaporizers though, but I admit, I donít know much about them. Seems to me these things are far more friendly when it comes to smoking around others.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeOReilly is online now  
post #377 of 405 Old 09-07-2018
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,510
Thanks: 22
Thanked 142 Times in 137 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Cannabis use on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Sounds like you have something vengeful in mind. Why not first trying to go talk to the people and let them know that the smoke and smell is impacting you? Who knows, you may be surprised with a polite and courteous response, and maybe make a few new friendly acquaintances.

I see bitter and vengeful people every day in my line of work and think that it must be a really difficult way to live a life. I think so many people could be surprised at how much easier interactions with others can be if people just talk to one another and exhibit some reasonableness.
So you think I should walk around to the park (1/2 mile) every night to ask different people not to smoke there ? not very practical.
No I am not vengeful I just don't think they have the right to invade my home with that stench. What I have in mind will hurt no one but I don't think anyone will want to sit on those rocks anymore.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is online now  
post #378 of 405 Old 09-07-2018
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,510
Thanks: 22
Thanked 142 Times in 137 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Cannabis use on board

Here is a photo of the spot from my cockpit .... it's more like 100' now that I look at it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5146.JPG  

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is online now  
post #379 of 405 Old 09-07-2018
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,964
Thanks: 2
Thanked 61 Times in 59 Posts
Rep Power: 16
 
Re: Cannabis use on board

The Rite Aid stores down here have started playing Barry Manilow 24/7 to discourage homeless people camping on their sidewalks, I was at a restaurant across the street and it annoyed me.
The City (Dana Point) where my boat is housed outlawed smoking or vaping in public last year, neighboring beach city San Clemente just followed suit. Come to think of it, it's now illegal to smoke in public from Laguna Beach to Oceanside.

"Just call me TB"
capttb is online now  
post #380 of 405 Old 09-07-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul
 
MikeOReilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 3,847
Thanks: 246
Thanked 188 Times in 176 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Cannabis use on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
The Rite Aid stores down here have started playing Barry Manilow 24/7 to discourage homeless people camping on their sidewalks, I was at a restaurant across the street and it annoyed me.
The City (Dana Point) where my boat is housed outlawed smoking or vaping in public last year, neighboring beach city San Clemente just followed suit. Come to think of it, it's now illegal to smoke in public from Laguna Beach to Oceanside.
HaÖ blasting Barry Manilow would keep me away as well

Iím no fan of smoking (weed or tobacco), but outlawing outdoor use seems a bit draconian. Indoor, sure. But outdoor? Seems a bit much for a legal product.

And whatís wrong with vaping? Isnít it just (or mostly) just water vapour that comes out? I may be dead wrong on this b/c Iím not a vaper, or smoker. But Iíve been around people vaping, and I donít smell anything.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeOReilly is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greek coast guard seizes 1.6 tons of cannabis in sailboat drug bust - Xinhua NewsReader News Feeds 0 11-27-2017 04:00 AM
Wilmette Police Blotter: Sailboat, Tree Damaged, Possession of Cannabis - Patch.com NewsReader News Feeds 0 06-07-2012 12:20 PM
Can we get this board going again? Orion48 herSailNet 17 02-08-2007 08:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome