Cannabis use on board - Page 39 - SailNet Community
 230Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #381 of 405 Old 09-07-2018

Re: Cannabis use on board

1/3 of Americans believe the sun orbits the earth. Yes, it’s a bell shaped curve. Cognitive impairments are not directly additive. Add two you well may get more than twice the impairment. With exposure to one possible source of impairment the individual may still be functional but as shown on multiple tragic occasions there often is the straw that breaks the camels back. Your argument doesn’t hold water and I still wish to keep the water out of my boat so no intoxicants while underway. I also don’t allow individuals with poor judgment, inadequate intelligence, abrasive personalities to crew on my boat. Those who require intoxicants also need not apply. I have no issue with their occasion use in appropriate settings but continue to believe in a sober boat while underway. Occasions of alcohol use are most unusual but do occur. Would note on a calm day with a benign forecast see no harm to a single glass of wine or a beer with dinner as my concern is absence of impairment effecting safety but even then it’s for the off watch. Our schedule and pattern permits a relaxing dinner when you are off watch. We set up individual precooked meals so this isn’t difficult to achieve.
Nicotine and caffeine may cause some individuals to be more rather than less functional. I will not allow anyone to smoke anything in the boat ever. I will allow a cigar, pipe or cigarette on occasion down wind of everyone only if ash and smoke will immediately leave the boat.
I view this all much in the same manner as anti seasickness meds. If you need them please take them early and at adequate dose. But if they impair you you are off watch.
For a boat underway the discussion should be safety first not morality or need to party. If you need to party it will not be on my boat during any passage be it offshore, ocean or coastal. I believe the statistics bear me out with 50% of boating accidents involving intoxicants.
travlin-easy likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 405 Old 09-07-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

The question of whether cannabis causes a functional “impairment” with regard to automobile operation is an interesting one. In my brief review of the research literature the question seems to be an open one … at least with regards to driving.

Here’s a summary from an obviously biased source, but it is very well cited. The bottom line is: "To date, the result of this research is fairly consistent: Marijuana has a measurable yet relatively mild effect on psychomotor skills, yet it does not appear to play a significant role in vehicle crashes, particularly when compared to alcohol."

Driving may not be a direct proxy for boat operations, especially in tough conditions, but it shouldn’t be dismissed either.

But I still would not allow it on my boat while underway

Quote:
Marijuana and Driving: A Review of the Scientific Evidence
Cannabis and Driving

STATE DUID LAWS
It is well established that alcohol increases accident risk. Evidence of marijuana’s culpability in on-road driving accidents is much less convincing.

Although cannabis intoxication has been shown to mildly impair psychomotor skills, this impairment does not appear to be severe or long lasting. In driving simulator tests, this impairment is typically manifested by subjects decreasing their driving speed and requiring greater time to respond to emergency situations.

Nevertheless, this impairment does not appear to play a significant role in on-road traffic accidents. A 2002 review of seven separate studies involving 7,934 drivers reported, “Crash culpability studies have failed to demonstrate that drivers with cannabinoids in the blood are significantly more likely than drug-free drivers to be culpable in road crashes.” This result is likely because subject under the influence of marijuana are aware of their impairment and compensate for it accordingly, such as by slowing down and by focusing their attention when they know a response will be required. This reaction is just the opposite of that exhibited by drivers under the influence of alcohol, who tend to drive in a more risky manner proportional to their intoxication.

Today, a large body of research exists exploring the impact of marijuana on psychomotor skills and actual driving performance. This research consists of driving simulator studies, on-road performance studies, crash culpability studies, and summary reviews of the existing evidence. To date, the result of this research is fairly consistent: Marijuana has a measurable yet relatively mild effect on psychomotor skills, yet it does not appear to play a significant role in vehicle crashes, particularly when compared to alcohol. Below is a summary of some of the existing data.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #383 of 405 Old 09-07-2018

Saw this in the news today. The Cdn Military has issued new guidelines for marijuana consumption. Looks like in most cases it wont be permitted withn 8 hours of the start of the shift. Similar to their rules with booze.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...uana-to-troops
fireblade274 likes this.

post #384 of 405 Old 09-07-2018
Rainwatcher

84.68% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.
post #385 of 405 Old 09-07-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Saw this in the news today. The Cdn Military has issued new guidelines for marijuana consumption. Looks like in most cases it wont be permitted withn 8 hours of the start of the shift. Similar to their rules with booze.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...uana-to-troops
I notice the reportage says pot will be banned completely when our forces operate in foreign lands/seas. Seems reasonable.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #386 of 405 Old 09-09-2018
Rainwatcher

A lot of skippers use their authority to make their boats and cruises safer or more enjoyable.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

post #387 of 405 Old 09-09-2018

my buddy has a flying scott, and sometimes we puff on it, we're in Maryland. I don't smoke a lot in one session anymore, been my drug of choice for just under a decade, but for some reason it makes me anxious and uncomfortable after a certain point now. Its like my tolerance completely vanished, idk. Interestingly as I smoke less I drink more lol, and I've never been a heavy drinker.

But yea you need to be careful. its decriminalized in md up to 10oz, but from what I see above you could get charged federally? I mean that makes sense if the coast guard gets you, but if its NRP (Natural Resources Police) they are a branch of DNR of Maryland which is state run. So my 2 cents would be, your more likely to run into them or your own state/more local law enforcement smelling it then the coast guard. Just check over your shoulders lol. My opinion; many opinions are changing. I know guys who have been caught on land and rather then writing a ticket they just let it slide if there's nothing harder in the car and they treated the cop with respect. Id like to think the same would apply to water po-po too.

Granted, another thing to keep in mind is Sessions rolled back the Obama era policy of directing federal resources to shy away from prosecuting users in states where its decriminalized or legalized, idk if its been changed back yet. I'm confident sooner or later it will be.

you always take a risk, but you can mitigate it by being smart, being aware of your surroundings, and using it responsibly (dont get stoned out of your mind while in motion).

Last edited by fireblade274; 09-09-2018 at 04:36 AM.
post #388 of 405 Old 09-09-2018
Rainwatcher

Exact opposite on Puget Sound, you're a lot more likely to run into Coast Guard than locals.

post #389 of 405 Old 09-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
I think the only reason Canada is making pot legal is they want those tax revenues to support all their other social programs. Gotta love it when someone says something is free - someone is, obviously, paying for all those freebees.

For me, I'll just stick with booze - less expensive and less side effects.

Gary
Keep fooling yourself..........
post #390 of 405 Old 09-10-2018

While I find there are some good legalization arguments, the most insidious reason to legalize anything is to collect taxes. It simply addicts the government to the revenue and the public to whatever that revenue provides. Everyone is living off others addiction/affliction.

I've heard it proposed that these taxes be segregated and only allowed to be used for affliction related matters, such as education, rehabilitation, regulatory oversight, etc. Makes some sense. However, greedy, elect-me, politicians always find a clever way to use it for the general good. It's an evil spiral. Legalize it, if you must. Don't benefit from it, that just make the government the drug lord. I strongly predict that future generations will regret our self-indulgent course.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 09-10-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in