Cannabis use on board - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 230Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 405 Old 02-24-2018
Captain Obvious

Re: Cannabis use on board

Federal ban means pot is illegal in parts of Massachusetts | WWLP.com

Offshore, the U.S. Coast Guard has jurisdiction in all navigable waters of the United States, including Boston Harbor where the Coast Guard has a base in Boston’s North End, and where Boston Police and State Police also share jurisdiction, according to Boston Police Lt. Mike McCarthy.

If the Coast Guard boards a boat and discovers marijuana on board the officers will confiscate it, and if there is more than an ounce, the suspected offender will receive a citation and fine, according to Cynthia Oldham, of the Coast Guard. Anyone deemed to be operating a boat under the influence of marijuana or other intoxicants will be taken into custody and turned over to law enforcement on shore, she said.

Opinion: I'll admit I've smoked on occasion. But I feel it is not really appropriate for sailing. I think if you want to go see Jimmy Buffet on Broadway, by all means hell yes! Watching Netflix and chill? Ok. But sailing? Why oh why would anyone want to get high sailing? This makes no sense to me. Maybe guests would like it, out on some big yacht for vacation, I can see that. I'd think the skipper would abstain.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 02-24-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

I don't care what people do to their bodies (brains) or their boats. I do care if their behavior is a danger or a potential danger to others.

I don't consume substances to alter my mind in any way (intentionally) such as alcohol or drugs. I prefer being fully present and fully aware... with no cognitive impairment.

I do very occasionally drink a beer for the taste with food... same with a glass of wine... but if I want to quench thirst I prefer water. I usually have beer or a bottle of wine on board for guests who enjoy. I don't like the company of drunk, high or stoned people.... nor do I want them operating boats or cars.
bletso likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #33 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

As someone that grew up in the late 60's, early 70's drinking & druggin, I'd much rather deal with some who's got a little buzz on from smoking weed than someone that's been drinking. Smoking pot, ya don't need to close one eye to line up the hood ornament on the car so you can drive home, ya don't wake up naked with some strange girl on the bathroom floor wondering where ya parked your truck

There are many states that have decriminalized possession of pot under an ounce to a misdemeanor. Maine is also another North East state where it is legal to pocess & smoke weed. Like others I may have taken a toke when out with friends maybe a dozen times in the past 30+ years. The problem I see with edibles, when you take a toke, the effect is pretty quick. When you ingest an edible, the effect is slower so you may not want to be in that "place" couple of hours later. Ask me I how I know this......

Personally I much rather sprinkle bourbon over some ice in a glass than smoke weed.

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Last edited by misfits; 02-24-2018 at 08:52 AM.

post #34 of 405 Old 02-24-2018
arrgh!

Dock

I have been waiting for the day when pot was totally legal, but that has probably hit a set back.

Even if all 50 states legalize it, even if most Americans would like to see it legalized (in Oct 2017, 64% were for legalizatoin)

There is still Jeff Sessions. He is not so for it and I am sure, how ever independent the Coast Guard wants to be, I would guess there is NOT a look the other way policy

also, with the advances in marijuana growing... I am not sure if it is easy to get a 'little' high

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 02-24-2018 at 09:57 AM.
post #35 of 405 Old 02-24-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I don't care what people do to their bodies (brains) or their boats. I do care if their behavior is a danger or a potential danger to others.

I don't consume substances to alter my mind in any way (intentionally) such as alcohol or drugs. I prefer being fully present and fully aware... with no cognitive impairment.
That’s great Sander, although I’m sure you know that almost everything we do alters the state of the brain’s chemistry. Whether we ingest drugs or produce them ourselves, the brain is awash in mind-altering substances. That rush you feel from an exciting sail, for example, is just adrenaline and endorphins. Sex… big time mind-altering drugs at play. Many people do these things to achieve that kind of buzz. Heck, the basic food we ingest alters the brain.

The fact is, lots of mammals seek altered states of mind using ‘drugs,’ not just humans. Getting ‘high’ is as natural as tribalism, homosexuality or liking country music (OK, maybe this last one is questionable ). Seems pretty natural...

I’m not suggesting people should get high (either with internal chemistry, or through ingesting special drugs), but it’s a completely natural drive in much of the mammalian kingdom. It’s why prohibition of these drugs never works — you’re trying to fight Mother Nature.

Quote:
I do very occasionally drink a beer for the taste with food... same with a glass of wine... but if I want to quench thirst I prefer water. I usually have beer or a bottle of wine on board for guests who enjoy. I don't like the company of drunk, high or stoned people.... nor do I want them operating boats or cars.
There is no question here. No one is suggesting boats should be operated while impaired. But most boaters I know enjoy a drink, or perhaps a toke, once the anchor is down and all is safe.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post

There is no question here. No one is suggesting boats should be operated while impaired. But most boaters I know enjoy a drink, or perhaps a toke, once the anchor is down and all is safe.
As I said as long as your not endangering others... none of my business.

Drinking is way too commonplace in my opinion... there are too many around is with impaired judgment.

No one should have to lose their life because of alcohol and pot... but they do.

Your explanation about normal brains is absurd... and does not apply. Release of hormones and so forth by a normal functioning brain is normal... and pretty much plays a "survival" function.... enabling the body to perform in stressful conditions.

I don't know many sailors but the few I know are drinkers. My sample space is too small but I don't expect sailors to be any different in this regard from plumbers.

post #37 of 405 Old 02-24-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
...Your explanation about normal brains is absurd... and does not apply. Release of hormones and so forth by a normal functioning brain is normal... and pretty much plays a "survival" function.... enabling the body to perform in stressful conditions.
My point was that drug use is “normal.” Everything we ingest, from food to booze, is a drug. Eat too much sugar and you’ll produce a high. Hot peppers will have mood altering affects. I’m just pointing out the rather arbitrary nature of calling one group of drugs bad and others good.

But the question here is simply about how people deal with mind-altering drugs such as cannabis and alcohol. And specifically, how people think the changing legal approach to weed will affect us all.

BLOG:
post #38 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
I really wonder what the border plans are for Canada/USA with the coming legalization of cannabis in the Great White North. Has anyone heard anything
Do not know, but between Wash. and BC should be like having a bag of apples, no ?

"Just call me TB"
post #39 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
My point was that drug use is “normal.” Everything we ingest, from food to booze, is a drug.
NO this is wrong

Wiki:

"A drug is any substance (other than food that provides nutritional support) that, when inhaled, injected, smoked, consumed, absorbed via a patch on the skin, or dissolved under the tongue causes a temporary physiological (and often psychological) change in the body.[2][3]"

post #40 of 405 Old 02-24-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
NO this is wrong
Wiki:

"A drug is any substance (other than food that provides nutritional support) that, when inhaled, injected, smoked, consumed, absorbed via a patch on the skin, or dissolved under the tongue causes a temporary physiological (and often psychological) change in the body.[2][3]"
I prefer to get my information from credible sources:

From Science Dictionary:
"Any substance, natural or synthetic, which has a physiological action on a living body, either when used for the treatment of disease or the alleviation of pain or for recreation and self-indulgence, leading in some cases to progressive addiction."

or from Oxford:
"A medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body."

Food has a physiological effect on the body.

… but this is all rather irrelevant. The point is not to split hairs about drug definitions. The point is to deal with a very real fact of cruising life — whether you agree with it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Do not know, but between Wash. and BC should be like having a bag of apples, no ?
I suppose so... but given the hysteria that often accompanies the topic, I sure hope the border folks are well prepared for the change.

BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in