Cannabis use on board - Page 41 - SailNet Community
 230Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #401 of 405 Old 09-10-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Re: Cannabis use on board

Iím not clear what youíre arguing Minnewaska. Thereís plenty of evidence that raising the cost on an item, either through taxation or other means, can result in lower usage of said item, be it tobacco, booze or gasoline. The critical factor for taxation is to make sure the level is below the threshold for the creation of a viable black market.

Canadian governments have said they donít expect significant revenue from cannabis taxation. Iím sure it will be more than that, but as caberg says, sin taxes currently constitute a very small revenue stream for Canadian governments. I canít see cannabis changing this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #402 of 405 Old 09-10-2018

Seems all western societies have embraced a concept that wasn’t present 100 years ago. That being using taxation as a means to influence behavior rather than as solely a mechanism to raise revenue. Tax structure encouraging some behaviors (capital investment, R&D, savings etc.) and discouraging others ( luxury gas tax, sin taxes, receiving money as salary or ordinary income etc.). This has resulted in a great distortion of democracy. Should this concept be disavowed lobbying, dark money, revolving door careers, the excessive expense of tax lawyers and accounting would not be as prevalent as at present. Whole industries of a non productive nature would wither.
Sin taxes represent the most obvious example of trying to influence behavior but not the most perilous rather I view income/capital gains/corporate taxes in there current forms as having much more impact on society.
MikeOReilly likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #403 of 405 Old 09-10-2018
Captain Obvious

You can make up whatever political theory you like. None of this means as much as having the police arrest you, and being in jail awaiting trial. The whole point of legalization is to just stop doing that to our peaceful pot smoking citizens. The lack of arrest and fine changes everything. I was just in Vermont last weekend at a B&B , where pot is 100% legal. Basically. Wifey didn't want any so we just had a couple of gin and tonics. But I would have indulged for sure. Its just our private behavior, we are just a middle aged couple from NY spending money..and the police can ( and did ) just leave us in peace. In general, Vermonters, like New Yorkers just want to be left alone to do as they please and that apparently includes smoking pot. Amen Hallelujah. .No theory required.
MikeOReilly and dixiedawg like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

post #404 of 405 Old 09-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
You can make up whatever political theory you like. None of this means as much as having the police arrest you, and being in jail awaiting trial. The whole point of legalization is to just stop doing that to our peaceful pot smoking citizens. The lack of arrest and fine changes everything. I was just in Vermont last weekend at a B&B , where pot is 100% legal. Basically. Wifey didn't want any so we just had a couple of gin and tonics. But I would have indulged for sure. Its just our private behavior, we are just a middle aged couple from NY spending money..and the police can ( and did ) just leave us in peace. In general, Vermonters, like New Yorkers just want to be left alone to do as they please and that apparently includes smoking pot. Amen Hallelujah. .No theory required.
You are right, Sal. I live in Vermont and we did legalize cannabis through the legislature (first state to do it that way), and we have no retail market - at least for the time being. So there is no tax revenue to be generated. Currently, cannabis is legal to possess and grow within defined limits. There are many here who would like it to stay this way, but it won't last. We will have a retail market in the next few years I'm sure. Once the MA stores open any day now just to our south, it won't make any sense to disallow retail sales here.

You shoulda PM'd me before coming here and I could've hooked you up! Gifting is currently legal as well, which has led to some interesting new businesses. ($50 t-shirt anyone?)
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #405 of 405 Old 09-24-2018

Saw this government of New Brunswick recreational cannabis store front this morning. This is Sackville, at the North end of the Bay of Fundy. Interesting times.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180924_074630_1.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in