230Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

Re: Cannabis use on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
NO this is wrong

Wiki:

"A drug is any substance (other than food that provides nutritional support) that, when inhaled, injected, smoked, consumed, absorbed via a patch on the skin, or dissolved under the tongue causes a temporary physiological (and often psychological) change in the body.[2][3]"
Chocolate anyone?

Another cup of coffee perhaps?

Oh! I hear ginseng can help with that "little problem."
MikeOReilly likes this.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

So on the way south to the border you eat an apple knowing you can't take into the states even if it grew in Spokane. You give the core to rufus and sloppy eater that he is, drops seeds under the cushion. At inspection the drug dog sniffs it out , Federal officials let it go, it's only seeds after all.
post #43 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I prefer to get my information from credible sources:

From Science Dictionary:
"Any substance, natural or synthetic, which has a physiological action on a living body, either when used for the treatment of disease or the alleviation of pain or for recreation and self-indulgence, leading in some cases to progressive addiction."

or from Oxford:
"A medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body."

Food has a physiological effect on the body.

… but this is all rather irrelevant. The point is not to split hairs about drug definitions. The point is to deal with a very real fact of cruising life — whether you agree with it or not.

I suppose so... but given the hysteria that often accompanies the topic, I sure hope the border folks are well prepared for the change.
come on Mike... that is rubbish... My mind is not altered by the consumption of string beans.

Your thread began as consuming substances which alter your cognitive function to get some sort of altered state... which is what the wiki referred to

You're being silly argumentative accomplishing nothing. Believe what you will...

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #44 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
Chocolate anyone?

Another cup of coffee perhaps?

Oh! I hear ginseng can help with that "little problem."
And your point?

Caffeine is a substance that is know as being addictive... I don't know anyone who will claim they are impaired from drinking coffee or tea.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #45 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
And your point?

Caffeine is a substance that is know as being addictive... I don't know anyone who will claim they are impaired from drinking coffee or tea.
The point is that your definition was a bit sketchy. But I get your point as well.

Caffeine is the "active" ingredient in coffee just like THC is in marijuana. As to "impaired" by drinking coffee, you only need to hang out at a college around finals to make you own judgement about whether caffeine is capable of impairing judgement. IMHO it takes a hefty amount but I have seen people popping caffeine pills that I wouldn't want anywhere near a motorized vehicle.

But just to be clear, I think people who are taking chemicals (natural or otherwise) with "any" side effects, people who are drinking, people ho are sleep deprived, people who are emotionally distraught or people who are just plain furious shouldn't be anywhere near a couple of tons of metal or fiberglass capable of killing or harming anyone else. Because they all suffer from some form of impairment...
SanderO and MikeOReilly like this.

before it's too late

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 405 Old 02-24-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Anywhoo… I think everyone agrees a boat should not be operated while impaired, no matter what the source of impairment.

With regard to this, I’m still not 100% clear on the rules operating in the USA regarding anchoring and booze. Can someone who knows confirm that you can drink at anchor?

The fellow from the coast guard auxiliary (who sadly has not come back), seemed to say drinking was OK, but being legally impaired (blowing over .08 for booze … not sure what the measure is for other intoxicants) was not. But does that mean everyone, or just the operator? And is this the same in all states? I’ve read differing standard for differing states.

In Canada the enforcement rules do differ slightly from province to province. The most glaring difference is that Quebec says it’s acceptable to have the driver drinking, as long as they are not legally impaired. In all provinces I believe it is legally fine to drink beyond the legal limit as long as you are anchored.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #47 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
I prefer to get my information from credible sources:

From Science Dictionary:
"Any substance, natural or synthetic, which has a physiological action on a living body, either when used for the treatment of disease or the alleviation of pain or for recreation and self-indulgence, leading in some cases to progressive addiction."

or from Oxford:
"A medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body."

Food has a physiological effect on the body.

… but this is all rather irrelevant. The point is not to split hairs about drug definitions. The point is to deal with a very real fact of cruising life — whether you agree with it or not.

I suppose so... but given the hysteria that often accompanies the topic, I sure hope the border folks are well prepared for the change.
Have to disagree in principal to such a broad definition of drug. I mean, drinking a glass of water has a physiological effect. Why even have a word for "drug" if food and water is included as such?

Basically, drug as a word has connotations. When you point out that alcohol and nicotine and caffeine are drugs, people will roll they eyes and go, "Well yeah technically, but that's not really the same is it?"

Pot, despite being far less harmful and far less addictive and far less socially destructive as something like nicotine or particularly alcohol is considered a "real" drug. It's arbitrary and nonsensical, but it's a bit extreme to make drug such a broad term that it includes a can of pepsi or a box of chocolates.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #48 of 405 Old 02-24-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwbox View Post
Have to disagree in principal to such a broad definition of drug. I mean, drinking a glass of water has a physiological effect. Why even have a word for "drug" if food and water is included as such?
I guess I just look at things from the technical, scientific perspective. Yes, food is a drug. It’s all just chemicals which all have physiological effects on the body. Any chemical, taken to extreme, will cause negative effects. This includes water (and I’m not talking about drowning).

BUT CAN WE DROP THIS PLEASE. I’m sorry I raised it. It was a silly side note. It doesn’t matter what you call a drug in the abstract. We’re talking about specific drugs.
SanderO likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #49 of 405 Old 02-24-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

Back to the point.... We all agree that imparement is not acceptable for the skipper underway. What about crew? What about guests? My take is that I don't like that either. If I have a crew or a guest that overindulges alchhol while on my boat, they don't get asked back. One beer in an hour, OK. Two, not OK. Regardless of your own preferences, on my boat, no pot. Just not welcome. I have a good friend that eats pot cookies. We took him and his wife sailing once. He ws so loaded that he was fumbling around. Last time he was invited for a sail.

At anchor or at the dock, a degree of alcohol use is understandable, even a bit excess. More than that, I just don't ask them back. Again, my boat is a no pot zone. Sorry, just the way it is. What you do on your boat is your decision, but on my boat, no pot. An interesting aside, I was at a dock on a friend's boat when another guest went off for a while. He came back after smoking pot and had some random other guy with him to visit for an hour or so. I was not comfortable because the random guy was, well random. The other guest was pretty blotto. So even at dock, it can create problems.
MikeOReilly likes this.
post #50 of 405 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
BUT CAN WE DROP THIS PLEASE.
But...but... sigh.

I don't think cross border tokin' will be here anytime soon. Border agencies and federal institutions like the USCG operate under a whole different set of rules. But I would be interested to see how the individual states navigate the issue of drugs because afaik most U.S cruising grounds are federal waters. Shouldnt be an issue here in Canuckland.
MikeOReilly likes this.

before it's too late

Youtube:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in