SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Cannabis use on board (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/312826-cannabis-use-board.html)

MikeOReilly 02-23-2018 02:14 PM

Cannabis use on board

Many of us enjoy some form of mood-altering drug while on board (and only while safely anchored or tied to a dock). For the vast majority of us this drug is alcohol, but I know there are a large number of folks who also enjoy marijuana.

An increasing number of USA states are going down the decriminalization road, and Canada is poised to make recreational use legal across all its lands and waters. So, I’m curious how people currently use or view cannabis on board, and whether your patterns will change as it becomes more openly legal and acceptable?

I’m not much of a pot user. Booze is my drug of choice. I’ve puffed on a joint perhaps a 1/2 dozen times in the last 20 years. As a teenager I was more into it, but I really don’t like the smoke, so I’m not much drawn to it. But as edibles become more available, I might become more interested ...

sailforlife 02-23-2018 02:17 PM

Re: Cannabis use on board

Well weed makes you tired and hungry ... or so I have heard. So a lot more people at anchorage or eating?

eherlihy 02-23-2018 02:26 PM

The USCG is a Federal agency. Federal law prohibits the use of cannabis. By using a vessel in US waters you have already consented to the search of your vessel by state or federal agency. I believe that they would make a federal case of it.

I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Capt Len 02-23-2018 02:28 PM

Every thing is funnier when you're stoned ,. Even SN becomes bearable. But seriously ,folks, it's the vertigo from the edibles you have to look out for .And the smoke isn't good for lungs ,,So it's back to the wine.

RegisteredUser 02-23-2018 03:15 PM

God created sugarcane for a reason.

ImGary01 02-23-2018 03:21 PM

The Coast Guard Auxiliary is having this discussion as Massachusetts decriminalized. eherlihy is spot on in regards to Federal agencies. When in Boston Harbour you are under Federal jurisdiction. And don't forget there are boating while under the influence laws. Alcohol, weed or other drug of choice, you're under the influence. If you are at anchor, you are still in control of the vehicle so BUI applies even if the boat isn't moving.

MikeOReilly 02-23-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 2051399162)
The USCG is a Federal agency. Federal law prohibits the use of cannabis. By using a vessel in US waters you have already consented to the search of your vessel by state or federal agency. I believe that they would make a federal case of it.

True, you’ve got a bit of a mess in the USA with an increasing number of your states legalizing or decriminalizing, while remaining a now actively pursued criminal offence federally. And you’re right, of course, the waters are federal. So legally speaking, it’s clear what needs to be done.

Be that as it may, I’m going to go out on a limb and suggesting some people may be disregarding the law :eek:. Not asking anyone to out themselves. Just curious how people view the whole thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImGary01 (Post 2051399226)
The Coast Guard Auxiliary is having this discussion as Massachusetts decriminalized. eherlihy is spot on in regards to Federal agencies. When in Boston Harbour you are under Federal jurisdiction. And don't forget there are boating while under the influence laws. Alcohol, weed or other drug of choice, you're under the influence. If you are at anchor, you are still in control of the vehicle so BUI applies even if the boat isn't moving.

This is another interesting fact. In Canadian jurisdictions it is perfectly legal to have a drink (and presumably to have a toke soon) while anchored. As long as the vessel meets certain requirements; basically it needs to be a cruising-type of vessel, then no problem. In Quebec it’s even legal for the operator of a boat to be drinking. No where can the operator be impaired.

So you’re saying you can’t have a beer while anchored anywhere in the USA? Wow...

eherlihy 02-23-2018 03:47 PM

We have a bunch of messes in the USA right now. The inconsistency in Cannabis laws is the least of them.

titustiger27 02-23-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 2051399162)

When I saw the thread, this was my first thought...

it seems like there are so many complications. Like you have some pot on your boat, you go out on the way in the Coast Guard stops you, now you are not just in possession but you are a smuggler of what you were an exporter of an hour ago

:pirateraft:

RegisteredUser 02-23-2018 04:13 PM

IIRC, your boat will go on a permanent list if a dog hits/alerts on it.