Cannabis use on board - SailNet Community
 230Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 405 Old 02-23-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Cannabis use on board

Many of us enjoy some form of mood-altering drug while on board (and only while safely anchored or tied to a dock). For the vast majority of us this drug is alcohol, but I know there are a large number of folks who also enjoy marijuana.

An increasing number of USA states are going down the decriminalization road, and Canada is poised to make recreational use legal across all its lands and waters. So, I’m curious how people currently use or view cannabis on board, and whether your patterns will change as it becomes more openly legal and acceptable?

I’m not much of a pot user. Booze is my drug of choice. I’ve puffed on a joint perhaps a 1/2 dozen times in the last 20 years. As a teenager I was more into it, but I really don’t like the smoke, so I’m not much drawn to it. But as edibles become more available, I might become more interested ...

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 02-23-2018 at 04:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
SUNCAT365 (03-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 405 Old 02-23-2018

Re: Cannabis use on board

Well weed makes you tired and hungry ... or so I have heard. So a lot more people at anchorage or eating?
post #3 of 405 Old 02-23-2018
Learning the HARD way...

The USCG is a Federal agency. Federal law prohibits the use of cannabis. By using a vessel in US waters you have already consented to the search of your vessel by state or federal agency. I believe that they would make a federal case of it.

I don't like it, but that's the way it is.
Damon Gannon and CelticSailr like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 02-23-2018 at 02:52 PM.

post #4 of 405 Old 02-23-2018

Every thing is funnier when you're stoned ,. Even SN becomes bearable. But seriously ,folks, it's the vertigo from the edibles you have to look out for .And the smoke isn't good for lungs ,,So it's back to the wine.
post #5 of 405 Old 02-23-2018

God created sugarcane for a reason.
post #6 of 405 Old 02-23-2018

The Coast Guard Auxiliary is having this discussion as Massachusetts decriminalized. eherlihy is spot on in regards to Federal agencies. When in Boston Harbour you are under Federal jurisdiction. And don't forget there are boating while under the influence laws. Alcohol, weed or other drug of choice, you're under the influence. If you are at anchor, you are still in control of the vehicle so BUI applies even if the boat isn't moving.
baywater, mbianka and Damon Gannon like this.
post #7 of 405 Old 02-23-2018 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
The USCG is a Federal agency. Federal law prohibits the use of cannabis. By using a vessel in US waters you have already consented to the search of your vessel by state or federal agency. I believe that they would make a federal case of it.

True, you’ve got a bit of a mess in the USA with an increasing number of your states legalizing or decriminalizing, while remaining a now actively pursued criminal offence federally. And you’re right, of course, the waters are federal. So legally speaking, it’s clear what needs to be done.

Be that as it may, I’m going to go out on a limb and suggesting some people may be disregarding the law . Not asking anyone to out themselves. Just curious how people view the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGary01 View Post
The Coast Guard Auxiliary is having this discussion as Massachusetts decriminalized. eherlihy is spot on in regards to Federal agencies. When in Boston Harbour you are under Federal jurisdiction. And don't forget there are boating while under the influence laws. Alcohol, weed or other drug of choice, you're under the influence. If you are at anchor, you are still in control of the vehicle so BUI applies even if the boat isn't moving.
This is another interesting fact. In Canadian jurisdictions it is perfectly legal to have a drink (and presumably to have a toke soon) while anchored. As long as the vessel meets certain requirements; basically it needs to be a cruising-type of vessel, then no problem. In Quebec it’s even legal for the operator of a boat to be drinking. No where can the operator be impaired.

So you’re saying you can’t have a beer while anchored anywhere in the USA? Wow...
doggerel likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 02-23-2018 at 04:13 PM.
post #8 of 405 Old 02-23-2018
Learning the HARD way...

We have a bunch of messes in the USA right now. The inconsistency in Cannabis laws is the least of them.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #9 of 405 Old 02-23-2018
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

When I saw the thread, this was my first thought...

it seems like there are so many complications. Like you have some pot on your boat, you go out on the way in the Coast Guard stops you, now you are not just in possession but you are a smuggler of what you were an exporter of an hour ago

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 02-23-2018 at 10:25 PM.
post #10 of 405 Old 02-23-2018

IIRC, your boat will go on a permanent list if a dog hits/alerts on it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in