Microwave Ovens - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-16-2018 Thread Starter

Microwave Ovens

When cruising, how often do you use one and what do you nuke with it? A time and less mess issue?

I don't have a good place to mount even a mini, but thinking about taking one along. They can be very convenient.

Yeah, it can do small storage duty, too....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-16-2018

Dock
Re: Microwave Ovens

In my opinion, microwaves are from the Devil......I have learned to use the propane stove and oven for anything and everything that needs to be cooked, and eat way more fresh fruit than fresh-nuked snacks.......and I believe I am eating and feeling better for it. YMMV, of course!
aeventyr60 likes this.

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #3 of 16 Old 03-16-2018

Had a microwave locker put in when we specd the boat. It’s just above the stove. Never used it. Do use the plug for it. The microwave is gone and locker filled with coffee and breakfast stuff. Also got one of those new fangled pressure cookers. Fellow cruisers rave about them. Sits under the sink now and is rarely used. Oh well......
eherlihy likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #4 of 16 Old 03-16-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

I do use mine. More for heating up, rather than cooking. I often heat up a cup of coffee, perhaps some soup or even a bowl of beans. While underway it is easy and quick. It uses a lot of amps, so I mostlly use it when the engine is on.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-16-2018
Master Mariner

We'd be lost w/o ours. Steaming veges, heating water, making rice, baking potatoes and a thousand other things take much less time in the microwave, and it runs on the inverter, so no need to start the generator to make a bowl of ramin or heat something quick to eat.
As a charterboat cook, my wife says the microwave is a godsend. Even if we weren't chartering, we wouldn't be without one, but we do have special cooking tools like a microwave pressure cooker, a steamer and a potato baker. One other thing, quite often you cook in the same bowl or plate you eat off, so way less clean up.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 16 Old 03-16-2018

How do they work with an inverter. Had one years ago that blew up when powered by an inverter. Luckily got it from Sears and they gave me a refund after the third one died. Assume that one with out digital display/counter would be a better choice for less difficulties.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-16-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
How do they work with an inverter. Had one years ago that blew up when powered by an inverter. Luckily got it from Sears and they gave me a refund after the third one died. Assume that one with out digital display/counter would be a better choice for less difficulties.
It takes a bit more time on the square wave inverter, but other than that we've had no problems.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 16 Old 03-17-2018

We use ours, 24/7....... as a bread basket.

Funny enough, it really is an excellent place to store bread aboard. Keeps the moisture/air exchange down and bread or bagels last substantially longer. I've also read that some use it as a faraday cage to prevent handheld electronics from lightening hits, although, I'm not sure that works.

We do use ours on occasion to cook microwave bacon, which I would never traditionally cook aboard in the oven or on the stoptop, or to warm pre-made meals.

When out on a cruise, we always have a couple pre-made dinners, from a local grocer, in the back of the fridge. They aren't gourmet, but they are pretty good. They're fresh, not frozen and come in a microwaveable container. When it's blowing stink and the boat is pitching and rolling, it's nice to just stick something in the secure microwave, rather than watching the stove gimbal all over. As a kid, those conditions simply meant a cold sandwich for dinner. I find a warm meal to be a huge moral booster, in prolonged crappy conditions.
eherlihy and capta like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-17-2018

Ours is used almost exclusively as a storage cupboard. Maybe once a year it gets used for a bag of microwave popcorn. I think we've used it 8 times in the 10yrs we have been cruising the boat. I can't figure out why it is still on the boat.

I think the answer is if you used one often at home, you will use it on the boat. Vice versa.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #10 of 16 Old 03-17-2018

I use my built-in microwave to keep my coffee pods. The only thing it gets fired up for is to pre-heat potatoes so that they only need a couple of minutes on the BBQ rather than the 30-60 minutes it would otherwise take. I have used it on passage when the weather was too rough to make for comfortable cooking and heated up instant-ramen type noodles.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in