• 1 Post By RegisteredUser
  • 2 Post By outbound
  • 1 Post By seabeau
  • 1 Post By RegisteredUser
  • 2 Post By jeremiahbltz2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-27-2018 Thread Starter

Getting current Current Maps

This site shows currents worldwide and updates every 5 days...I think it's 5.
https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...113.703,-4.139

How do you get info on currents for voyages?
There are well known current patterns, Gulf Stream etc, but do you look for info on other currents before setting off ...and during passage?

Some weather prediction services offer currents shown in their hi-$ levels. Where are they getting their info from? Is their info updated every 5, etc...

There are some currents (other than the known biggies) strong enough to entice you off the great circle, considering winds of course
eherlihy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-27-2018

Dock
Re: Getting current Current Maps

Currently all current stuff is total and utter balderdash. Except for the Gulf Stream... But that has a few MAJOR problems:

1) the bloody damn latitudes and longitudes are NEVER shown. That cute link you show is lovely but try transposing that to your plotter. Impossible!

2) The currents move! That stupid Gulf Stream maybe here today but gone tomorrow. Who does that?

3) Currents are easy... It's the eddies that PICKLE MY GRANDMOTHER!

4) the Gulf Stream is the only easy to define current... Usually they are just a waft. With eddies.

5) I don't think you can really be in the Gulf Stream for all that long in a small sailing boat. I have crossed it now about 6 times (?) and it's always a bit weird. In 2019 may/June I am going to go up the Gulf Stream from the Bahamas to New York. It's going to be interesting to see how it goes. The truck is to sit close to the western edge and duck out quick if the weather changes but in deep enough to not hit an eddie.

So ask again next year 😂😂😂😂

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 10 Old 03-27-2018

Mark download the pic of the stream off the net but also take a thermometer. Its simple but it works I like to measure temperature at least 10 below the surface so prefer one on a string. They say reading the breakaways and eddies is more important to the Marion Bermuda than having a rockstar for crew. Getting a read on the coastal counter current( if there is one) may help if going south.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #4 of 10 Old 03-27-2018

Dock

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention how I actually plot the Gulf Stream lol

Passage Weather has the little charts. I draw lat & Lon lines and plot off that.

But it's as inaccurate.

I would love an overlay.

As for temps... I just shove my hand under the salt water tap. But have wondered how good a thermometer would be.
I might buy one for next year.

What temperature range?

Sea Life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
post #5 of 10 Old 03-27-2018
Barquito

So, can I assume that some of the small details shown on maps like https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...113.703,-4.139 are just artistic license?

Valiant 32
post #6 of 10 Old 03-28-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
So, can I assume that some of the small details shown on maps like https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...113.703,-4.139 are just artistic license?
Not at all.

Transpose that info to a plotter.

Sea Life

post #7 of 10 Old 03-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Currently all current stuff is total and utter balderdash. Except for the Gulf Stream... But that has a few MAJOR problems:

1) the bloody damn latitudes and longitudes are NEVER shown. That cute link you show is lovely but try transposing that to your plotter. Impossible!

2) The currents move! That stupid Gulf Stream maybe here today but gone tomorrow. Who does that?

3) Currents are easy... It's the eddies that PICKLE MY GRANDMOTHER!

4) the Gulf Stream is the only easy to define current... Usually they are just a waft. With eddies.

5) I don't think you can really be in the Gulf Stream for all that long in a small sailing boat. I have crossed it now about 6 times (?) and it's always a bit weird. In 2019 may/June I am going to go up the Gulf Stream from the Bahamas to New York. It's going to be interesting to see how it goes. The truck is to sit close to the western edge and duck out quick if the weather changes but in deep enough to not hit an eddie.

So ask again next year 😂😂😂😂
The Latitudes and Longitudes are shown if your "click" on a particular spot.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-28-2018

It takes but a quick look at the sailing directions of a hundred and fifty years ago to see how our sailing ancestors coped with the "Stream". All they had was compass and sextant.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-28-2018 Thread Starter

You can double-click to zoom in.

The outflow of the Amazon looks like a Wild West shootout.... 4 knots in places. Jacuzzi area...

The Gulf Stream, Aguhlas, and that one across Japan in the N pacific, beginning around Taiwan look like the global biggies.

Supposedly, Indonesia has the most extreme currents. Prob the bash/filtering of the S pacific tropicals.....

I've used 1 m/s to roughy = 2 knots.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-29-2018

FWIW, there's a feature request in OpenCPN to support the OSCAR data (which is what earth.nullschool.net uses). But also, that data is in GRIB format, so you should be able to put it on your chartplotter: How to Get World-Wide Ocean Current Data via Email in GRIB Format-- OSCAR -- NOAA.
MarkofSeaLife and outbound like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in