Avaricious parasites, Riviera Beach Marina - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 04-08-2018 Thread Starter
Dirt Free

Avaricious parasites, Riviera Beach Marina

Riviera Beach Marina Charged our Credit Card $2816.51 for Five Nights !

April 20, 2018. On our way home to Ontario from the Bahamas we sustained significant damage as we were dangerously waked in the Lake Worth inlet by a 60’ sportfisher. We limped our way to anchor and called Riviera Beach Marina to try and get a slip as we desperately needed help with repairs. They told us we could have a slip in about four days and asked for a credit card to secure it. We stayed at anchor for four days til’ we could get a slip and begin the search for help and parts.

We informed the marina that we did not know how long we’d need the slip as we didn’t know how long repairs would take but that we’d book for a month and adjust later. They immediately billed our credit card for $2,568US and the following day another $248.51 ! This is four days before we even got there !

JAS Marine helped us get parts and repairs in an amazing 5 days. We checked out of Riviera Beach after only 5 nights and asked them to adjust our bill to the credit back the months payment and charge us the daily rate for the five days and return our $1,284 US security deposit. They responded that we’ll get our security deposit back in 2-3 weeks and told us there would be no credit for the month they charged us for. We obviously complained and were told by Harbour Master “Lee”, “that’s the way it is”.

These avaricious people take advantage of people in distress.
They charged our credit card $1,532.51 US for a five night stay and we still don’t have our $1,284 security deposit back.

Give these people a credit card at your own peril.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-08-2018

Re: Avaricious parasites, Riviera Beach Marina

Wow, hearing this story, at first thought I guessed you were screwed by a Mexican marina. Being a US based company you might have ways to redress this.

Call the credit card company and contest the charges.

Post a review on Active Captain, Google Reviews and anywhere else you can to spread the word.

If you lived nearby you could take the Lee to small claims court. It is likely not worth their time to show up to court and you would automatically win if they don't.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 Old 04-08-2018

Dang... you was robbed! I would contest the charges with your cc company. There is no cost or risk in that for you.
sailforlife likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #4 of 41 Old 04-08-2018
Old soul

How disappointing. Sounds like highway robbery BP.

I’ve always found most boaters and marine service operators to be kind and generous, especially in your kind of situations. I’ve had two marinas give me slips for free (both for nearly a week) while I was dealing with engine problems. This one sounds more like extortion.

It looks like there’s a lot of competition in the area, so hopefully if the word gets out about how they treat transients in trouble, they’ll be forced to change their ways. You should post a review on Active Captain and Waterway Guide.
sailforlife likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 41 Old 04-08-2018

I'll second calling your credit card company and disputing the charges.

Did you post in another thread what happened with the boat wake and what damages you sustained?

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #6 of 41 Old 04-08-2018
bell ringer

I also would be calling my credit card company.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #7 of 41 Old 04-09-2018 Thread Starter
Dirt Free

Sorry guys. Error in my first post says "April 20th" Should read "March 20th"

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #8 of 41 Old 04-10-2018
Rainwatcher

Sounds to me like you rented a slip for a month, regardless of what you intended to do.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.
post #9 of 41 Old 04-10-2018

As an American Citizen I apologize for the bad manners of my countrymen on both accounts. I have experienced being badly waked by arrogant “sport” fishermen. I’ve been lucky enough to not sustain damage or personal injury.

Perhaps a second approach to redress, if you could identify the culprit, would be to put an insurance claim against the bugger who wakes you. Although he is probably a lawyer himself.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #10 of 41 Old 04-10-2018
Learning the HARD way...

ActiveCaptain has 63 reviews of Riviera Beach City Marina 3 out of 5 stars. The most recent review reads:

Quote:
Four Stars - great docks, helpful dock hands, 2018-02-05
Captain: Capt. Steve And Lynne, St. Augustine FL (1220)

Well appointed docks with friendly, knowledgeable staff to get you into your slip. Nice fuel dock. Great restaurant on site. We ate there twice this visit and twice on our last stay. Only 4 stars because the laundry, showers and bathrooms need a facelift. Some of each were out of order too.
Esprit, Capt. Steve and Lynne

Management response:
Dear Capt. Steve and Lynne,
Thank you so much for the positive comments regarding your stay at Riviera Beach City Marina. We\'re so glad you enjoyed the on-site restaurant \"Rafiki Tiki\" and wanted to let you know that we just installed brand new washers and dryers. Hope to see you again soon!

Regarding the wake that caused your damage; Any damage that can be attributed to the 60-foot sportfisher is their responsibility. You did file a report with the coast guard - right? It seems that you have a case against the operator of that vessel.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in