Sailing is my dream - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 04-25-2018
Doesn't sail enough

Re: Sailing is my dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeSailin View Post
The Hans christian 33 or 38, Union 36, Baba 35 are older boats, but are tough and strong. Does the necessarily mean they are also easier to work on? For example a 1965 mustang has far fewer electronics and high tech stuff, than a 2018 Mustang?
Nah, the same old boat could easily have been done up with a lot of bells and whistles - full electronic speed/wind guages, AIS, radar, fridge/freezer, hot water + showers + electric heads, autopilots etc etc etc. On my friend's boat I have yet to figure out how to use the electric head, every time I'm on there underway I end up using the other (manual) one.

Frankly I have next to nothing on my boat: depth, propane stove, icebox - and that exactly how I want it. And I'm chasing electrical gremlins keeping my water pump from working (but at least there's not much else to break).

'78 Dolphin 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 04-25-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
a) No reason you shouldn't be able to sell it for what you paid for it - or knock off a third and it'll go fast. We're talking about mad-money that won't affect your progress towards your big-boat goals - say $3k max.

b) You will learn more, quicker on a small boat that responds faster. Especially if you're years away from your cruising boat goals. Not saying don't do courses, but time sailing on the water in a variety of conditions is much more valuable.

Plus, who wants to wait years to get to sail?
Thatís s is the standard small boat owner story. Itís wrong!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 31 Old 04-25-2018

I totally recommend starting with a smaller boat. We (family of 6) started with a Macgregor V-222, then moved up to a Chrysler 26, before buying our current boat, a Sancerre 38. We learned an awful lot about sailing, ourselves, storage, etc... on the smaller boats that made us confident enough to make the larger investment in a big boat without asking strangers on the internet to pick a boat for us. I lost a few hundred on the first boat when I include what I invested, but I stand to come out ahead when I sell the Chrysler, as we bought it at auction for a song, and put a lot of sweat equity into it. If you can't afford to "lose" a few hundred investing in a smaller boat, you can't afford a big boat. (I will pay more for dockage this year than I paid to purchase both of my previous boats)

post #24 of 31 Old 04-25-2018

FWIW, we sold our first sailboat for more than we paid. A Hunter 23.5...perfect size boat to learn on, and still do some cruising on it. The season before, we belonged to a local sailing club and sailed their boats.

Smaller boats get you sailing now, on whatever water's closest to you, as others have mentioned. One other thought. It's much cheaper to make a poor buying decision on a smaller boat, early, when you're inexperienced, than on a much larger and more expensive boat.
post #25 of 31 Old 04-25-2018

I can't help myself.... I just need to throw a little rain on your parade.
First of all like was previously mentioned, cruising and sailing are two entirely different things but they both require a lot of what has been mentioned but not stressed nearly enough. Boats are one H of a lot of maintenance and at the price point that you have indicated there is going to be one H of a lot of it that will be required especially if you are cruising. So in the meantime while you're in your dream phase you had better start boning up on diesel mechanics, electronics, electrical installation and troubleshooting, plumbing, refrigeration and air conditioning installation and troubleshooting, sewing, rope splicing and on and on and on. Learning to sail is the easy part, Learning to do it well is a different matter. I think this same adage holds true for boat ownership in general. There is a lifetime of learning to be had and the only way you're going to get it is to just do it. You might want to find a sailing buddy and help him out with his boat projects to see if you like the reality of boat ownership. While you're at it, ask him about his list of must do projects and his wish list projects......
Crap, now I'm thinking about my own set of projects. I have to run a new wire from my starter button in the cockpit to the solenoid on the starter on my 3gm30f because over time impedance develops in the connections due to corrosion and rather than try to correct all the connection issues it's easier to just run a new wire. That is a must do project. I am also wondering if I should go ahead and change out the throttle and transmission cables while i'm at it..... Oh well that can wait. You have to learn to get a handle on that while you're at it stuff or it will become overwhelming. If you go through with this, in a couple of years you will know exactly what I'm talking about and you will know that the only way to truly appreciate it is to have experienced it. O.K. now that the rain is over you can go back to dreaming about those glorious days ahead of you on the boat. That's what I do !!!
post #26 of 31 Old 04-25-2018
The bow is the pointy end

Contrarian speaks wisdom. Knowing that going into it combined with your budget. You will find yourself a fine boat. If you can do, or learn, the above mentioned must do's then you will be fine. It's not all that hard to DIY, and do it properly. I didn't know doo doo about my waste holding system two weeks ago. I'm am an expert on it today. I replaced the entire thing. My wife and I did it ourselves. We live on our 91 Legend 43, we sail it multiple times a week, and we do projects in our spare time. We are considering rewiring our entire boat in the very near future. I am comfortable with that job, and we are looking forward to it. Enjoying the complete pain in the ass job, or at least the ability to maintain a sense of humor, is a must in older boat ownership. Also, dont let anyone deter you from your dream. You and your wife know what's best for yourselves. You will find the right boat, at the right time, for the right price. We were on a 3 year plan. Less than 12 months after making our plan we moved onto our boat.

svartemis.wordpress.com

Last edited by S/V Artemis; 04-26-2018 at 12:00 AM.
post #27 of 31 Old 04-26-2018 Thread Starter

Contrarian.

Great points. Thanks for all the tips!
Something for you to remember too though.. Nobody starts a sport or career or lifestyle etc, by already knowing everything there is to know about it. You jump in, get your feet wet and learn along the way. I learned how to ride a bike as a kid but that did not mean I needed a bachelor degree first. After many falls, cuts and bruises I figured it out.

There are a some skills we learn growing up too.. For example while in the Marines I worked on diesel engines as part of my job, not a mechanic specialty, but required me to do enough maintenance to at least get things going. I have also worked other jobs doing automotive maintenance. Plus being into cars and engines helps too. Out of all the things needed to learn I would say mechanics is my least concerned area.

I'm more concerned with electrical and refrigeration stuff. I will have to do some serious studying and learning on this. Thankfully I have friends in this business and can use them as a valuable resource for learning the ins and outs of those trades. At least enough to run things required on a boat.

Keep in mind too that not everyone lives on a beach or near a large body of water.. most people don't even own boats. So taking it lightly that just asking a friend to go on boat trips may not be as realistic to some.. None of my family owns boats, as a matter of fact I think the only person I know is a co worker that has a pontoon. So learning to sail will have to come from charters, lessons and trips from people I meet. 99% starting out will probably be met on the internet who advertise for such things.

Please continue the advice, I have learned a lot from the forums so far. Even some terminology I have never heard hehe. I have also learned of several other boats that interest me besides the HC. Another good learning tool today is YouTube. No, you can't learn to be a doctor there, but little things like learning parts of a sailboat or how to replace certain parts can go a long way too.

Last edited by RatherBeSailin; 04-26-2018 at 03:23 AM.
post #28 of 31 Old 04-26-2018 Thread Starter

Artemis.

It would be awesome if our 5-10year planned could happen in less time. I would be thrilled and depending on how fast we pay of debt and save will determine how fast our dream becomes a reality. We also have to shuffle around and figure out how to handle my retirement when that day comes.. wait to mid 50s and retire? Or invest and save and sail in our 40s? We have yet to make these crucial decisions, time will tell.
post #29 of 31 Old 04-26-2018
The bow is the pointy end

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeSailin View Post
Artemis.

It would be awesome if our 5-10year planned could happen in less time. I would be thrilled and depending on how fast we pay of debt and save will determine how fast our dream becomes a reality. We also have to shuffle around and figure out how to handle my retirement when that day comes.. wait to mid 50s and retire? Or invest and save and sail in our 40s? We have yet to make these crucial decisions, time will tell.
I am 47, and after a two careers that were hard on the body, I decided that my window for adventure was closing. Our day to day living expenses for an LA apartment in a neighborhood we wanted to be in was astronomical. We cut our rent in half by moving onto our boat, and we live in the neighborhood we wanted to live in. The money we saved in rent has been paying off our debt load. It's amazing how fast it starts to disappear. We went into debt for our boat, but our payments are manageable and there is no penalty for paying it off early. USAA has some really good rates, and they will lend on older boats as long as the loan is less than a certain percentage of the appraised value of the boat. They were super easy to deal with. If you are a veteran, or have family members that are veterans, then you can join. There are creative ways to make money cruising...we have a few ideas circulating. My advice...dont wait. Just do it.

svartemis.wordpress.com
post #30 of 31 Old 04-26-2018
Doesn't sail enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Artemis View Post
Our day to day living expenses for an LA apartment in a neighborhood we wanted to be in was astronomical. We cut our rent in half by moving onto our boat, and we live in the neighborhood we wanted to live in. The money we saved in rent has been paying off our debt load.
Was it hard to get a liveaboard slip in MDR? How are slip rates there?

Would do it in a second here (in a much bigger boat!) if I wanted to live on the cost.

'78 Dolphin 31

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in