How important is fuel capacity? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 Old 05-22-2018

Dock
Re: How important is fuel capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I would prefer to have much more, to be far offshore. Not necessarily to motor alot, but to run the generator and have the option to motor, if sailing would put us in danger of incoming weather.

On a 2,000nm passage and you have say 800nms fuel range (very few have that range) when do you use it?
The first half? The second half? Not use it at all because you are scared to use it?
You put some artificial Date of Arrival and now you need to go above Hull Speed or the Coast Guard will come looking for you?
What weather are you going to outrun which you know about 800 nms in advance?
How many gallons does your generator use and why didn't you buy a solar panel?

When you get to your cruising grounds and you have 800nms of fuel sloshing in your tanks what the hell do you do with it while it slowly grows algy and tars up your tank?
RegisteredUser likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 Old 05-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Minne's post is very helpful. Using Mine's boat as an example, which has a comparatively large motoring range of 500 miles, and the roughly 6,000 mile passage from Capetown to Barbados or Trinidad that I mentioned above, that represents a range that is roughly 8-9% of the passage length. I suppose that it is probably possible to do a circumnavigation where the longest passages are something like 3,000 miles, which starts to get Minne's motoring range up to around 17 percent of the longest passage.

(Edit: Mark's post crossed with mine, but also sheds a lot of light on the point I was trying to raise)

Jeff
Isnít Ascension Island and St Helena Island somewhere between Capetown and the Caribbean? You could go direct, but if fuel were limiting, those are available layovers. Iím not sure why a circumnavigation would ever skip those places. They are exactly the types of stops I would make, as there is virtually no other way I would ever find myself to them.

Just like Newport to the Caribbean. Many see how theyíre doing on fuel and will stop in Bermuda, as necessary. Of course, weather sometimes lays a trip up too.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 51 Old 05-22-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

All this discussion about worldwide and long distance cruising is fascinating as well as interesting.

The majority of SN posting here are not of that type so let me interject another aspect into this conversation. Not being negative about the cruising aspects but maybe posting information / considerations which many SN may deem relevant to their usage of their boats.

I have to laugh as I see many boats the size of Minnie in my area with 70 plus gallon size fuel tanks. In spite of using generators this 70 gallons coupled with the fact they utilize their boats less than , 30 weeekends a year, many of them tell me the only fill their tanks once a year. Having fresh and good diesel in the tank is one reason we have an engine which has done so well I think. To these boats with the large fuel tanks having 50 spare gallons of extra fuel in the tanks sitting there in the dog days of summer at 90 plus degrees on the Chesapeake for a few months may not accomplish that clean , new fuel program. Many of them start the season with full tanks from their winter layup winterization and donít fill up till maybe late August or September. This canít be a good thing. That fuel may have gone in the previous November. ( 10 months old)

Addressing smaller tankage in boats: Since many Sailnetters have boats similar to mine 28-40 ft range. Iíll bet 15-30 gallon tanks. This allows turnover of their fuel a number of times so itís relatively fresh. Most of us try not to get into the last 1/4 of the tank, as on many older boats that could me a better chance of possible sediment, though we clean our tanks and polish our fuel fuel every 3 years or so. ( our boat is now 34 years young )

Like Sander mentioned it is relatively easy to get fuel in our areas, and we are we are not traveling to far flung areas, headed for the doldrums, or crossing the pond on either side. If I were traveling that far I would follow advice presented by many previous posters who are cruisers.

Specifically in our case. We have an 18 gallon tank. 30 hp Yanmar GMF30 getting .6 to.8 gallon per hour depending on conditions. Thatís a 30 to 22 hour range or 180- 150 miles. ( conservatively). When we travel our furthest distance which would be non stop from Annapolis to Newport, 345 miles non stop motoring we carry 4 -5 gallon jerry cans.

However most of our sailing is weekends as well as costal. Even if I had a larger tank, I would opt to not fill it so I could turn the fuel over more often. Most of my weekly sailing is 50-60 miles. From what I see with many of my friends here on the Chesapeake, and elsewhere, they donít usually average what we do weekly as they donít get out as much or travel as far on weekends, and the great percentage (80%) of boats donít have generators.

My turnover according to my records which I keep is that I use approx 100 gallons of diesel per year. That turns the tank 5 times and I can be confident we have relative fresh fuel. Many of my colleagues in similar situations usually refuel 3 times at the most all year.

Fuel capacity to many/ most weekend / costal Sailing really is not as important as a long range cruiser. We ALWAYS keep a 5 gallon jerry in the lazzarette, and it gets dumped in when refueling and refilled then. That jug is 5-6 hours cruising time and we usually can get to refuel in our sailing grounds.

In actuality water is what drives us into a marina on our trips. We can carry 40/80/120 gallons at 12 lbs per gallon. Haleakula acts sluggish with 120. Remember we arenít long range cruisers with a watermaker , so while we donít flaunt our water , we donít ration it either. Water tends to be our limiting factor, not fuel for 5he type of sailing and our sailing area.
bigdogandy likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

post #24 of 51 Old 05-22-2018

Since the OP specifically asked about fuel capacity for a circumnavigation, whatever people who daysail on a bay use isn't very meaningful in this thread.

This time, it is those of us using our boats for long-term and long-distance who have the more meaningful perspective and experience.

Personal attack removed- Jeff_H SailNet moderator

FWIW, I responded to the OP in another forum, so will save some of you the mental anguish of twisting my words and working yourselves into a lather here.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-22-2018 at 05:18 PM.
post #25 of 51 Old 05-22-2018

As said by many desired tankage is solely dependent on philosophy of cruising.
Remember Lin and Larry had NO fuel and they seemed to get around OK. Sailboat races around the world require no fuel be used for propulsion.
Still it’s fairly routine for boats on the Caribbean 1500 or the SDR to run short and pull into Bermuda to refill. We haven’t had to.
We have 200g. We fill up before leaving for the Caribbean and again before leaving for Rhode Island. We make water but only run the generator very rarely getting our electrons from solar and wind. Generator is noisy and I hate it. Sometimes we top off when arriving. Our annual consumption is on the order of 300-400g. per year given we run the AC time to time. Think that’s about average for boats with similar sailing programs.
This business of not powering is for the hard core and my hat goes off to them. When our VMG goes below 5 kts the yanmar goes on. Most boats will burn 150-200g if the trip of 1500-1800 miles is mostly windless. Beyond not wanting to be out so long that weather becomes more likely those without water-makers will run into issues or baby wipes and eating your fallback food stores sucks. Frig and freezer are supplied by alt energy so no problem.
So to answer the OP having a bunch of fuel in tanks not containers is a good thing. How much totally depends on your attitude and how slow you’re willing to go. If going cruising can’t have too much.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #26 of 51 Old 05-22-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Since the OP specifically asked about fuel capacity for a circumnavigation, whatever people who daysail on a bay use isn't very meaningful in this thread.

This time, it is those of us using our boats for long-term and long-distance who have the more meaningful perspective and experience.

Chef2sail, Personal attack removed- Jeff_H SailNet moderator

FWIW, I responded to the OP in another forum, so will save some of you the mental anguish of twisting my words and working yourselves into a lather here.

Mark
While the original poster, was clearly asking about circumnavigation and much of the discussion so far has been about long distance cruising, I suggest that Chef2sail's point about having excess tankage is a good one and relevant. In my mind, one of the purposes and objectives to having a topic discussed on a public forum is to obtain diverse opinions and to have an exposure to reasonable counterpoints.

In this case the counterpoint is the caution that while large capacity tanks can be an advantage for the distance cruiser, they are not necessarily an advantage for those who don't regularly make longer passages, and there is a limit to how much liquid can be transported before the added weight has a noticeable impact on performance.

Jeff
SanderO, chef2sail and fallard like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #27 of 51 Old 05-22-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Isn’t Ascension Island and St Helena Island somewhere between Capetown and the Caribbean? You could go direct, but if fuel were limiting, those are available layovers. I’m not sure why a circumnavigation would ever skip those places. They are exactly the types of stops I would make, as there is virtually no other way I would ever find myself to them.

Just like Newport to the Caribbean. Many see how they’re doing on fuel and will stop in Bermuda, as necessary. Of course, weather sometimes lays a trip up too.
I think that your point is very well taken. We tend to use the word, "Circumnavigation" like it implies a singular itinerary. For some its a sprint with few stops, and for others its a leisurely meander spending lots of time in those places that appeal to their imagination.

While I have never really aspired to doing a circumnavigation, when I hear of someone talking about doing a circumnavigation in three years, that seems like a rush to me. Its not that I think that they are wrong for doing the trip that way, but more that my personality would want to spend a lot more time in any place that I went to and I would want to go to a lot of places. I could easily imagine spending 3 or more years simply exploring the Mediterranean, 3 years more in Southeast Asia, or perhaps a similar amount of time in the Pacific Northwest.

And so while both of the boats that I mentioned were essentially doing deliveries, (I only chose those two boats because these were the only boats I know who had made very long non-stop passages i.e. 6,000 and 8,500 miles, and which I had asked about fuel consumption since the boats came stock with a 13 gallon tank but had locations to put two more 13 gallon tanks) I agree with you, that I would have wanted to make stops along the way, and that there were places to bail out, and fuel up should that have been prudent.
chef2sail likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-22-2018 at 05:45 PM.
post #28 of 51 Old 05-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
In my mind, one of the purposes and objectives to having a topic discussed on a public forum is to obtain diverse opinions and to have an exposure to reasonable counterpoints.
Great. Then please moderate the forum with this in mind, or at least be consistent with your admonitions. I have been shut down, dismissed, and chased around continually by a small group here that insists on marginalizing anything beyond their tiny world and experiences.

There was no personal attack in my original post that was any worse than many landed by a small group here.

Go ahead and search back on some of the threads I've participated in.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #29 of 51 Old 05-22-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Bbbb
Personal attack removed- Jeff_H SailNet moderator

Mark
Mark,

I think it was relevant to many who read all the threads and learn from reading them. Most SN posters probably are not long term cruisers like you , I referenced that . Posting in threads can not be controlled by any group and some ď driftĒ is understandable though I tried to keep my post to the aforementioned OP posting at it was not irrelevant at all. It just wasnít relevant to you as a cruiser.

It also caused me to think about the other consumable ... water. To prevent too large a ďdriftĒI opened up another new thread which concerned that. Feel free to contribute to that thread as even though aimed coastal/ weekend sailors as long as you can keep your personal attacks towards me under control.

Carrying that animus from previous threads towards me does not help but reignite a situation which I am trying to stay away from. Remember some here, including me, were accused by you and your friend of following certain people to threads to start attacks. Letís just let all this go please . It takes two to do that to succeed.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 05-22-2018 at 05:54 PM.
post #30 of 51 Old 05-22-2018
Master Mariner

On our sail from Bali to the Seychelles, 3563.04 nautical miles, we powered off the anchor for ten minutes and sailed until we powered to anchor in Mahe, another 15 minutes. I believe it was 22 days under sail with no calms; a great trip.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in