How important is fuel capacity? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 51 Old 05-22-2018
bell ringer

Re: How important is fuel capacity?

It’s important to have enough fuel capacity on the boat for the combination if powering the boat the desired amount, and twice that amount to pour on Internet forum fires 🔥

chef2sail likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 05-22-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Isn’t Ascension Island and St Helena Island somewhere between Capetown and the Caribbean? You could go direct, but if fuel were limiting, those are available layovers. I’m not sure why a circumnavigation would ever skip those places.
I didn't do that way, I went up the Red Sea. But from what I understand, St Helena is not flash for fuel as the anchorage has a Rock pier and it's hell to get into and out of the dinghy... And you have to jerry jug it.
I am not sure about Ascension Island.
Most people stop in both because the 6,500nms is a long way to Trinidad and few go via Brazil.

But wind in the south Atlantic isn't the problem. So fuel is not a problem, usually.

They were testing a spinnaker for a cargo ship on that route for that very reason.

As for time to do a whole circumnavigation or bypassing some places, it's each to their own. If you don't like a particular culture why stop there?

It's not as easy to do a second or third lap as it was before, but that shouldn't stop people.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #33 of 51 Old 05-22-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
On our sail from Bali to the Seychelles, 3563.04 nautical miles, we powered off the anchor for ten minutes and sailed until we powered to anchor in Mahe, another 15 minutes. I believe it was 22 days under sail with no calms; a great trip.
That sounds like my kind of ideal long passage, 150 mile days plus, and no engine. Please talk a little about the equipment that you were operating during the trip and whether were you able to generate enough electrical power through renewable sources that you did not need to run the engine/genset in the interim.

Thanks,
Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #34 of 51 Old 05-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Remember Lin and Larry had NO fuel and they seemed to get around OK.

So to answer the OP having a bunch of fuel in tanks not containers is a good thing.
They didn't have an engine, so no need for fuel - it isn't a good example. And to be fair about it, almost nobody ever cruised like they did without an engine, and almost nobody does now. Whatever drove Lin and Larry's original choice to go engineless, I'll bet a donut they got caught in this shtick with no good way to get out of it later in life - it became part of the definition of who they were. I know they relied often on others for tows and moving around.

Your last point is a good one. Too many boats with rails filled with jugs. One doesn't have to fill a large tank, but it is nice to have the ability for those times it is prudent.

Besides, it is a moot point. Choosing a boat is rarely done with the fuel tankage as a primary requirement. Any more recent catamaran for RTW cruising will have at least 80gal. So the boat will be chosen based on many factors and tradeoffs, and the tankage will be what it is.

If I were to spec a new boat, I'd want a larger fuel tank and a smaller water tank. Say 150-200gal fuel and 50-75gal water. We replaced both our tanks before leaving to cruise - 120gal fuel, 100gal water - and after gaining years of cruising experience, I'm kicking myself for not making that 150gal fuel and 70gal water (replacing now is major surgery).

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #35 of 51 Old 05-22-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Remember Lin and Larry had NO fuel and they seemed to get around OK.
Whoa there pard. Apples and oranges here. lol
The Pardeys had a tiny boat that they could scull around with a big oar! Not an applicable comparison to the OP's "It will have a generator and cloths washer to keep my wife happy". lol
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #36 of 51 Old 05-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Posting in threads can not be controlled by any group and some “ drift” is understandable
Give me a break. You and a few others here have a long history of complaining about wanting thread posts controlled and not having drift in them.

Mark

post #37 of 51 Old 05-22-2018

Agree Lin and Larry is an extreme example. Still the point I was trying to make is valid. The majority of fuel used is for propulsion with the genset a close second. Now you can get rid of almost all genset usage with alt energy. We turn ours on once a month to keep it functional if alt. energy is cranking. When moving most boats will have additional loads of AP, radar, communications and navigation equipment. Still if moving alt. energy will keep up or if necessary hydro (watt and sea) generator will make more than your panels and wind combined. When still and not sailing our usage goes up. The OP states he will run a Spendide or equivalent so expect his experience will be periods of high energy usage even in absence of watermaker or AC. Expect the frig/freezer will be a big draw as well. A wife who needs a washer/dryer wil expect a frig(freezer. Therefore the major variable is when the air goes light do you sit and wait while decreasing your non propulsion energy use as well best you can or put the engine on. We lied hove to for 6 days letting weather gos by last trip home. Sky was overcast and wind light. Humidity near 100%. It was miserable and boring. Periodically turned on the watermaker, genset, and took showers. Watched movies, listened to music not headphones, everyone was on their devices, radar went on time to time to check for local weather. Liberated carbon fragments for at least an hour or two daily. Then sailed. With the lift from the Gulf Stream made good time but last day food and spirits were getting low so engine went on.
I would disagree will the statement people don’t consider tankage when choosing a boat. The maestro pointed out how important he thinks tankage is for a cruising boat.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #38 of 51 Old 05-23-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
The majority of fuel used is for propulsion with the genset a close second.
Interestingly enough, our situation is exactly the reverse. Normally, 90% of our fuel consumption goes to the genset, but we sail in one of the best sailing areas in the world. One season we did nearly 2000 miles of inter island sailing (no crossings) and we ran the engine only about 20 hours.
Now that we are chartering, our operational consumption may be up 10 to 15%, but the genset still is the major consumer of our fuel. However, we have electric cooking, use a lot of kitchen appliances to make the cook's job easier on charter, 110vac refrigeration and a watermaker. As we have enough renewable energy sources for our 12 volt consumption, battery charging from the generator is just a perk.
I don't believe I've ever heard a serious cruiser say, "We carry way too much fuel in our tanks."

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #39 of 51 Old 05-23-2018

We are short range coastal cruisers and day sailors so take this for what it's worth.

We spec-ed the 38' with 40 gallons of fuel and 100 gallons of water. Honestly, more fuel than we need, and you can always use more water. If I had to do it again, more water, less fuel. Coastal cruising sporadically up here, we're not using a water maker. Doesn't make sense as we are in harbors and would not use it regularly which they don't like.

I think if I was long term distance cruising offshore, I'd trade fuel capacity against water capacity and keep a good water maker going. I don't know if that makes sense practically by those who are doing it, but I hope it's not thread drift to ask. Any boat has just so much room for tanks for both, the optimum mix would seem to be the relevant question.

Onshore, coastal, short term, more water, less fuel. Offshore, long term, passage making, more fuel, less water and a water maker.

Is that right?
post #40 of 51 Old 05-23-2018

Quote:
I would disagree will the statement people don’t consider tankage when choosing a boat. The maestro pointed out how important he thinks tankage is for a cruising boat.
Perhaps I wasn't clear on that point. I meant that a boat is rarely chosen solely on its fuel capacity. Instead, there are a lot of variables and tradeoffs considered, and once the right boat is decided, the actual fuel capacity is a moot point.

For example, say one wanted 150gal of fuel, but the boat that ticks the boxes overall only has 80gal. In most cases, that boat will be the one.

So I was suggesting to not limit a boat search to only those containing a set amount of fuel tankage. Unless that is of utmost importance to one, of course.

Mark

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in