Words to the wise! - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 Old 06-30-2018

Re: Words to the wise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
30 and 70 make a world of different... even 50 and 70. Seniors will to go offshore at their own peril. It in not prudent to do it without some young strong hands on board. Learn to accept the diminished capacity and change.

This couple was too old for what they had to face.. and not prepared and their guard was down. But who wants to sail with the expectation of a killer storm in their path?

It's pretty much an AARP convention out here mate.

My friends Jim & Joy were not to old to do this! I guess a windward passage SESE from Asia to Fiji and then down to New Zealand and back to the PNW to complete their circumnavigation wasn't enough preparation in your book? Read a bit more carefully and ask your self why Joy was looking for her walking stick? We used to ride bikes together in Malalysia..she had suffered from a crippling leg issue form a childhood bout with polio. Some of the gutsiest and experienced cruisers i've met.

Don't let your own infirmities cloud your ideas what others are be doing out here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 Old 06-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Jordan Series Drogue.
You will find some 10 y.o. posts by SailingDog here where he raves about the JSD.
After i posted the question I did a random search of the files in my head and came up with the name. It did not take long for me to figure it out since they have my name. It seems like a no brainer to have one of these when crossing oceans. Although I seem to recall some posters being against them or at least conversations as to which way to have the boat lie when deploying them.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 53 Old 06-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
It's pretty much an AARP convention out here mate.

My friends Jim & Joy were not to old to do this! I guess a windward passage SESE from Asia to Fiji and then down to New Zealand and back to the PNW to complete their circumnavigation wasn't enough preparation in your book? Read a bit more carefully and ask your self why Joy was looking for her walking stick? We used to ride bikes together in Malalysia..she had suffered from a crippling leg issue form a childhood bout with polio. Some of the gutsiest and experienced cruisers i've met.

Don't let your own infirmities cloud your ideas what others are be doing out here.
I assumed these were your friends based on your post earlier. I imagine it's got to hurt vicariously to see them go through this. Even though they survived, to see their circumnavigation cut short, would feel like loosing a friend.

Were they able to recover the boat?

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

post #24 of 53 Old 06-30-2018

I don't believe the age of the captain and crew had any bearing on the outcome. Maybe because I'm old, but I've run across lots of 30 somethings that could not have handled the same situation as well.

Gary
post #25 of 53 Old 06-30-2018

Here's video shot by the USCG as their helicopter approached the vessel during this rescue:
https://youtu.be/tyjF8maL_u0

And here's a post-rescue interview. https://youtu.be/L9xcS2CfWSk Seeing it makes the points.
Looks & sounds like the crew did well, the Coast Guard did well, and the correct decision--to abandon the vessel--was quickly made.
Yawlman likes this.

Last edited by OldEagle; 06-30-2018 at 12:31 PM.
post #26 of 53 Old 06-30-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Passage during hurricane season, albeit early?
There is no hurricane season in the North Pacific Ocean!
Minnewaska and travlin-easy like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #27 of 53 Old 06-30-2018

No, but there is where they departed and the spillover can still hurt. What caused the problem?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #28 of 53 Old 06-30-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Is that some sort of drogue? I was wondering is such conditions they did not have one out? I try not to judge their actions because they have a world of sailing experience over me. Well not quite the world but close.
I don't like drogues, period. I believe the boat is safer being able to be steered out from under a breaking wave, kinda like a surfboard.
But that's my personal preference, from my own experiences, and I do not advocate that my preference is correct for anyone else.
I will say though, I fished that coast from Mexico to Alaska on crabbers and salmon boats as a teen, and it is one of the most consistently rough and dangerous places I have ever been. Hurricane season in the Caribbean is a cakewalk in comparison. After all, you can avoid the hurricanes, especially with internet weather that we have available today, but that coast has few safe harbors and even if you know bad weather is coming, there's little you can do to avoid it, if offshore.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #29 of 53 Old 07-01-2018

Dock

I have a sea anchor. If I had a cat I would have a series drogue.

I haven't rear the article and have no intention of reading it. I know what the risks are.

*They got off an unsunked boat of their own volition. Reasons probably age/shock/injuries/mental health.

Met a guy yesterday... Been waiting at this maria 5 years waiting for his mother to die. Sounds like she has another 5 years in her. So he will be 70 before he starts again.

Go now.

Oh, the other bit about old people... They think cruisibg is healthy, it is... But they don't do any gym. They are old, healthy but soft.

When in Port work out.
sati8d, Sal Paradise and Yawlman like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #30 of 53 Old 07-01-2018

I don't understand the reported conditions. 30 kts of wind and 30 ft seas. Is there a counter current in that area, shallow depth? And what would have been the mechanism of the roll? Broach and roll?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in