Contemplating a huge mistake...? - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 182 Old 07-05-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Contemplating a huge mistake...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
The world does not give a crap weather you start tomorrow or spend the rest of your life working to pay your mortgage, insurance, and taxes. So, yes, you can start tomorrow. The questions are: What is preventing you from starting tomorrow? Whatever it is, is it worth it? And if you are not ready to start tomorrow, what will it take for you to get ready? Not enough money? OK, how much money will be enough?
That was sort of rhetorical. Yes, I know I can start tomorrow.

Actually, the reality is that I will probably take the rest of the year to organize, clean up some loose ends, hunt for the boat, and probably start fresh in the new year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 182 Old 07-05-2018 Thread Starter

So in looking at smaller boats, does anyone have any opinions on these three? I'm not as familiar with boats in the 30-40' range, so wouldn't mind an opinion or two.

Here are three that look interesting to me.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199.../United-States

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199.../United-States

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197.../United-States
post #73 of 182 Old 07-05-2018

I know a woman who owned and lived aboard in a marina that model Catalina... and sailed LISound. I don't know or care for the other two boats. You can learn a lot on this size boat.. hopefully not sink too much money into it and not take a bath when you are ready to take off in a larger boat. That should take anywhere from an intense year to a couple... depending on how much you have to do to get the boat up to spec for offshore and live aboard cruising and how much of your time you devote to the upgrades.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #74 of 182 Old 07-05-2018
Doesn't sail enough

Loxx,

Which Gulfstar 50 were you thinking of? Not the original 50 - you were looking at the "Sailmaster" 50 with the insane big salon separate from the dinette?

I kinda get that for motor-cruiser-like space. I wouldn't want to deal with more than about 44-45' in real life doublehanded. I regularly sail with a friend on his Sun Kiss 45 and it's already a handful for two.
SanderO likes this.

'78 Dolphin 31
post #75 of 182 Old 07-05-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
Loxx,

Which Gulfstar 50 were you thinking of? Not the original 50 - you were looking at the "Sailmaster" 50 with the insane big salon separate from the dinette?

I kinda get that for motor-cruiser-like space. I wouldn't want to deal with more than about 44-45' in real life doublehanded. I regularly sail with a friend on his Sun Kiss 45 and it's already a handful for two.

Zed,

This one. Might not be to everyone else's taste, but it's droolworthy to me.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197.../United-States

Ran my suggestions by my stepdad/co-conspirator in this venture and he echoed a similar statement, go with the catalina.. so perhaps i'll narrow my looking to gulstars and catalina's in the 35-42' range.
post #76 of 182 Old 07-05-2018
Doesn't sail enough

Loxx,

I hear the drools, that's a sweet interior, but that one definitely has one cabin and about 8' more than two people could really justify.

The C36 has a spacious salon and galley (though the aft cabin won't compare with any of the Gulfstars) and the advantage of like 1800 (!) built, so strong owners' group plus company support. That's worth something.

Could put the Morgan 382/383 on your short list also.

A lot to be said for going sooner, within your current budget, and with more left for upgrades (and cruising kitty). Being able to work from anywhere is great. Not needing to is even better.

'78 Dolphin 31
post #77 of 182 Old 07-05-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
My wife paid a local artist to do a sculpture last year. It's just the word "now" in hammered metal, tarted up all pretty. It hangs over her desk. We are a couple of months away from what we both agree we should have done years ago.

Go now. If you have enough money, go now. If you don't have enough money, go simple, cheap, and go now, as we wish we had.

This is not original thought on my part, but it's a philosophy we have adopted; and we are going.
I'd love to see a pic of the sculpture if you have one. Good and simple advice
post #78 of 182 Old 07-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
I'd love to see a pic of the sculpture if you have one. Good and simple advice
If this works, a photo is attached...
Attached Thumbnails
now-photo.jpg  
Rezz likes this.

Last edited by Caribbeachbum; 07-05-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: OK, now it's there!
post #79 of 182 Old 07-05-2018

I thought I'd chime in, as we were looking for our first boat a few years ago. Ended up buying a 40-footer in good shape, a Freedom 40/40 with a free-standing CF mast, and a self-tacking camberspar jib. We love it, as it's solid, stiff, fast, well thought-out and easy to sail short-handed. It is pretty much the right size for us (a couple in our late 40s in good condition) and can accommodate guests with kids, though sometimes I wish it was a little smaller, especially in tight-quarters docking and wrestling with the heavy boom and huge full-battened main. But we had done Sailtime for two years (also on a 40-footer) so we knew we could handle a 40-footer.

I would recommend looking at our boat's little sister, the Freedom 35 also designed by Pedrick (the mid 90s sloop, not the 80s cat ketch), though it is not available with a pilothouse which you seem to like a lot. A few are for sale on YW now in the 70-80K range.

Btw, that Gulfstar 52 does look awesome and I am a believer in buying the boat that you just love the looks of (provided it makes sense otherwise). But it is a huge boat, especially for a first-timer sailing short-handed. 44000 lbs! And I think ours at 24000 is heavy and not easy to manhandle at the dock. One concern looking at the specs is that it only has a ballast of 5000 lbs at that weight. Can that be right? I guess it's basically a motor boat with sails.
Our Freedom 40/40 has a ballast of nearly 10K at 24K gross weight.
post #80 of 182 Old 07-06-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaman_3rdClass View Post
I thought I'd chime in, as we were looking for our first boat a few years ago. Ended up buying a 40-footer in good shape, a Freedom 40/40 with a free-standing CF mast, and a self-tacking camberspar jib. We love it, as it's solid, stiff, fast, well thought-out and easy to sail short-handed. It is pretty much the right size for us (a couple in our late 40s in good condition) and can accommodate guests with kids, though sometimes I wish it was a little smaller, especially in tight-quarters docking and wrestling with the heavy boom and huge full-battened main. But we had done Sailtime for two years (also on a 40-footer) so we knew we could handle a 40-footer.

I would recommend looking at our boat's little sister, the Freedom 35 also designed by Pedrick (the mid 90s sloop, not the 80s cat ketch), though it is not available with a pilothouse which you seem to like a lot. A few are for sale on YW now in the 70-80K range.

Btw, that Gulfstar 52 does look awesome and I am a believer in buying the boat that you just love the looks of (provided it makes sense otherwise). But it is a huge boat, especially for a first-timer sailing short-handed. 44000 lbs! And I think ours at 24000 is heavy and not easy to manhandle at the dock. One concern looking at the specs is that it only has a ballast of 5000 lbs at that weight. Can that be right? I guess it's basically a motor boat with sails.
Our Freedom 40/40 has a ballast of nearly 10K at 24K gross weight.
Yeah, the Gulfstar as it's been said, is a motorboat with sails, although I never saw it that way... it's also been called a waterbago, but I'm ok with that.

Cool, I will look into the Morgan and the Freedom 35 as well.. I shouldn't limit myself at this point.

I do like pilothouses a lot, but hopefully for the right reasons, as protection from the elements. If that's not the right reason, or if there are other reasons to avoid pilothouses, then I would definitely be open to hearing them. :_)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in