Best Route: LIS to Chesapeake - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Best Route: LIS to Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Why do I feel like the OP is a first-time author planning to write a book?

Long Island is pretty much a hundred miles long. City Island is pretty much at the west end of it,.... Two hundred extra miles in a small boat. Hmmmm.
Ha, you're wrong. I asked the question because I have been on this site long enough to know that there would be plenty of varied (and even conflicting) opinions. You have proven that old adage that compares opinions to butts.

I knew that there would probably be people saying, "Oh my, the East River? Ferries and barges and closings along Roosevelt. Currents and tides and old pilings, oh my! No, going the long way up the Long Island Sound is worth the extra time it takes."

Then I knew there would be people who would say, "Nah, no worries, go south, it's an adventure."

I don't know if you have read the posts in this discussion, but two people said that they have gone the northern route, up the sound. Presumably they did so because the longer distance seemed preferable to navigating the traffic along the river route. One person actually said he prefers the longer route. I asked, because I've never traveled through there, and I wanted to know what to expect. That seems unreasonable to you?

And, then there were people who gave me great information on exactly how to make the passage and what I can expect. Your response was actually the only one that didn't offer much helpful information at all. I guess you haven't noticed that I've been a member on here for over two and a half years and have been actively involved in sailing discussions. And, when I write my book, it will be based on things I've actually done.

Last edited by midwesterner; 07-09-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 07-09-2018
One of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Ha, you're wrong. I asked the question because I have been on this site long enough to know that there would be plenty of varied (and even conflicting) opinions. You have proven that old adage that compares opinions to butts.

I knew that there would probably be people saying, "Oh my, the East River? Ferries and barges and closings along Roosevelt. Currents and tides and old pilings, oh my! No, going the long way up the Long Island Sound is worth the extra time it takes."

Then I knew there would be people who would say, "Nah, no worries, go south, it's an adventure."

I don't know if you have read the posts in this discussion, but two people said that they have gone the northern route, up the sound. Presumably they did so because the longer distance seemed preferable to navigating the traffic along the river route. One person actually said he prefers the longer route. I asked, because I've never traveled through there, and I wanted to know what to expect. That seems unreasonable to you?

And, then there were people who gave me great information on exactly how to make the passage and what I can expect. Your response was actually the only one that didn't offer much helpful information at all. I guess you haven't noticed that I've been a member on here for over two and a half years and have been actively involved in sailing discussions. And, when I write my book, it will be based on things I've actually done.
Translation = y'all been trolled!
TakeFive likes this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #13 of 35 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Translation = y'all been trolled!
Huh, how do you figure that?

post #14 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

Quote:
Crew would probably be three of us. No schedule. I'd probably take a week. Don't like being in a hurry. ...
In my opinion the East River is worth doing at least once in your life, but I prefer being further from land so if I felt the boat and crew were up to it, time was not an issue, and a good weather window was available, I'd take a couple of days to head up the Sound. Stop one night in Morris Cove (New Haven) and a second in the Great Salt Pond (Block Island). Then go offshore from there down to Cape May for a rest stop before heading up the Delaware.
post #15 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlsmith View Post
In my opinion the East River is worth doing at least once in your life, but I prefer being further from land so if I felt the boat and crew were up to it, time was not an issue, and a good weather window was available, I'd take a couple of days to head up the Sound. Stop one night in Morris Cove (New Haven) and a second in the Great Salt Pond (Block Island). Then go offshore from there down to Cape May for a rest stop before heading up the Delaware.
You can only sail 6hrs or so with a fair tide going east or west down the Sound. If you have to tack or gybe and that's likely it will take you longer than 2 days to reach BI from City Island with one stop over. Is it possible? Sure. Is it probable? No
chef2sail likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #16 of 35 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you, Tempest, PeterlSmith and Chef2Sail, your responses were the most helpful. If I end up doing this trip, I will be consulting you. I've walked along or driven along most of this route by land, at various times. It's hard to tell from shore. I've jogged around Roosevelt Island and watched boats in the river and it looks a little intimidating from shore. It's good to hear from people who have made the trip. It's the kind of experience I was looking to hear from.
post #17 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

FYI, I've always tried to find an early weekend morning to transit the East River if the schedule allows. I find that I encounter fewer recreational power boats and jet skis, and fewer ferries.
post #18 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

Quote:
Thank you, Tempest, PeterlSmith and Chef2Sail, your responses were the most helpful. If I end up doing this trip, I will be consulting you. I've walked along or driven along most of this route by land, at various times. It's hard to tell from shore. I've jogged around Roosevelt Island and watched boats in the river and it looks a little intimidating from shore. It's good to hear from people who have made the trip. It's the kind of experience I was looking to hear from.
I've done it and done it both inbound and outbound. Down the East River at the right time is the preferable route... unless you want to sail a few hundred extra miles.
chef2sail and midwesterner like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #19 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

It really is no biggie. Just don’t fight the current
We’ve hit 13.5 on the Chartplotter SOG on one trip when we got sucked in from the Atlantic by the Statue of Liberty And rocketed through
Hell Gate

The worst traffic is from the Verrazano to the State Island Fery Terminal. We just hang along the eastern side. Listen to the VHF chatter , laugh, and taken in all the cool landmarks and bridges. Stay out of the main shipping channels in lower NY Bay and if you need to cross them, don’t dilly dalley.

The more dangerous part of the trip would be trying to come in any of the treacherous NJ Inlets other than Manesquan, Atlantic City, Cape May and possibly Barnegat with coaching and good weatherconditions.

Heading south usually in summer means beating into prevailing S/SW u til 1 or so then the SE onshore afternoon ocean breeze.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #20 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

Quote:

Totally get the varied answer thing. That is why I like Sailnet too.

But to be clear I seriously doubt that you will find anyone that would advise you to travel an extra 200 miles to avoid the east river.

The folks that talked about leaving from Montauk were probably just relaying their experiences with that direction and not actually suggesting that the East River was so bad.

You may have other reasons to go east like wanting to stop and visit me for example on your way to Annapolis.

I have done it both ways myself. I've done it outside when leaving from Mystic and inside when leaving from Branford.

To summarize if you are trying to get to Annapolis from CI 99% of skippers would go west unless they had a good reason to add a few days to their trip or unless Putin was at the UN and the river was closed.
chef2sail likes this.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in