Where to go for winter sailing? Florida or California? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 07-19-2018
Doesn't sail enough

Re: Where to go for winter sailing? Florida or California?

I second Eastern Med.

'78 Dolphin 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 07-19-2018

Dock

What's not to like about Florida in the summer!? The oppressive heat and humidity keeps the snowbirds away!
post #13 of 44 Old 07-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Not a single afternoon thunderstorm? Amazing!
A few but no lava flows or Tsunamis/tidal waves plus a lower cost of living. You can drive your own car here too if you wish while some of the other places are going to cost a lot more to get to and back from.

Summer here on the Pinellas County Peninsula is easier to deal with than summer in New England such as North Eastern Massachusetts (I lived there for over 30 years and know about this first hand) where it gets about 10 degrees hotter in the Summer and over 100 degrees colder in the Winter however the original poster was asking about buying a boat locally and staying for the just the Winter. Its not until mid July that you really get into the full swing of the summer weather pattern and the more frequent afternoon thunder storms.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 07-19-2018 at 10:58 AM.

post #14 of 44 Old 07-19-2018

For me, Marathon gets the nod. Having been there several times, I know most of the better haunts, the crowd was a bit older, but not as rowdy as those in Key West, and the prices are definitely lower than Key West. When I performed as a musical entertainer in Marathon, I had a fair number of young ladies in the audiences, but most were in their 30s - not 20s. The exception was when I played during spring break -then the girls were much younger, taller and built like Barbie Dolls. That only lasted a couple weeks though.

The sailing opportunities were nearly endless, with some great options. Some days I sailed the ocean side, across Hawk Channel to Sombrero Light, and snorkled in 30 to 50 foot visibility over the reef, which was just 12 feet beneath the surface. Other days, when it was too rough on the ocean, I would opt to sail the gulf side, often dropping the hook near a coral head and catching supper in the form of a bunch of Mangrove Snapper, an occasional grouper and cobia.

Best of luck on wherever you decide to go,

Gary
SeaStar58 likes this.
post #15 of 44 Old 07-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
What's not to like about Florida in the summer!? The oppressive heat and humidity keeps the snowbirds away!
That's why I didn't buy a home in Tampa. I worked in Tampa for 17 years and it was so refreshing to hit the cool wave of air of the Pinellas County Peninsula when riding my motorcycle home in the Summer. Tampa Electric rates were much higher too when I moved here so it was an easy decision to choose cooler summers, lower utility bills and lower property taxes.

Then it still gets a tad cooler when you hit the inter-coastal area's of Clearwater/St Pete.

You have to choose wisely.

The SnowBirds while irritating at times do help lower my property taxes so I can live with them. If we could just teach them how to use and drive through a rotary.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 07-19-2018 at 12:46 PM.
post #16 of 44 Old 07-19-2018

I think the OP was looking for a place to liveaboard where he can go sailing in winter, while being near a city with women around his age. He is not looking to retire to Thailand or the Med.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 44 Old 07-19-2018

Between St Pete and Ft Myers.
post #18 of 44 Old 07-19-2018

I was enthralled with Fisherman's Wharf Marina near Fort Myers, FL, which caters to live aboards, easy access to some great sailing and fishing in the nearly Gulf and some nice restaurants and nite clubs within walking distance.

All the best,

Gary
post #19 of 44 Old 07-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Think to yourself

DO I WANT TO BE IN FLORIDA IN SUMMER ? SNIP!

Hell NO! You sweat your head off the moment you step outside and worry about hurricanes full time.

We get the hell out of FL from July to September. Favourite places are Newport Beach, CA, Marina Del Rey, Ca and San Fco Bay. SAn Francisco is great a huge sailing area in protected waters, Temp in low to hight 60's year around and lots of party places new. You can actually go up the rives quite far to new areas.

Caribbean is great from February to end o May.

post #20 of 44 Old 07-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfry View Post
Hell NO! You sweat your head off the moment you step outside and worry about hurricanes full time.

We get the hell out of FL from July to September. Favourite places are Newport Beach, CA, Marina Del Rey, Ca and San Fco Bay. SAn Francisco is great a huge sailing area in protected waters, Temp in low to hight 60's year around and lots of party places new. You can actually go up the rives quite far to new areas.

Caribbean is great from February to end o May.

Hurricane season is mid June to mid November and typically we have much fewer of them then the Eastern Pacific Basin so its not really true that you have to worry about hurricanes full time. We are talking about Cooler Coastal Living on the Gulf of Mexico in the St Pete area and not the Central Everglades so few are really sweating their heads off unless they are dressed highly inappropriately for the climate. Some days at high noon it may get a bit intense for vigorous physical activity however that's not a really big deal since its time to kick back in the shade for a refreshing lunch anyways. My relatives in California do have to worry full time about mud slides, out or control forest fires and earthquakes along with the chances of Pacific Tidal Surges and Part Time about Seasonal Eastern Pacific Basin Hurricanes. Both are big States and along with their pluses have their problem areas this is true.

Note that the original poster was asking about winters in Florida around the St Pete coastal area while your saying no to that because of July, August and September weather.

To date in the Atlantic Basin there have been 3 named storms with only 1 having the potential to put Florida at risk while the Eastern Pacific Basin has had 7 with more than one having a chance of turning and hitting parts of California or causing rough seas. Today there is currently no concern in the Atlantic Basin due to a Saharan Plume along with a Westerly Sheer while in the Eastern Pacific Basin there are currently several areas of concern being tracked where hurricanes could develop.

Today was a great day on the water on the Inter-coastal and out on the Gulf of Mexico. We had about 50 boats out today despite the spotty scattered showers that popped up every now and then. Clearwater Beach and Sand Key were bustling with skate boards, joggers, picnickers, beach goers, swimmers, wind surfers, kayaks, Hobie's/Beach Cats, Opti's, 420's, SunFish, Sports Fishermen and the Sailing Centers were really hopping with families enjoying Summer Vacation together.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in